Part time jobs...

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
Simple realy, tell us about you part time job you have or have had.

For me I work at an small restaurant in a small town with no competition in a 20 mile radius.
I cook and clean and the dame waitresses are often real bitches about some of the mistakes i make and they go on and on about all the tips they've made or lack of. Hey sweetheart, i make 0 tips :(

Jul 22, 2009
I have pretty pathetic pickings...

A paper round once a week, and I did work experience at CEX... that's it.

It's so difficult to get hired anywhere...

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
I work in a supermarket, started out part-time and just kinda got stuck there. Worked in a golf pro shop part time too, while I was trying to turn pro.

Yeah, I get paid minimum wage and have no wage increase or promotion prospects to look forward to......

[small].....Stupid recession[/small]

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
I mostly get part time jobs in between paying gigs cuz, well, I'm not an hourly wage kind of guy typically.

The worst one I ever had was part time over night stocking at Wal Mart.

I may as well have hopped in a time machine, went back a few hundred years, and declared myself a serf and loyal servant to the king.

That lasted 2 weeks, more than any human should have to suffer for min. wage.

Angerwing

Kid makes a post...
Jun 1, 2009
meglathon said:

For me I work at an small restaurant in a small town with no competition in a 20 mile radius.
I cook and clean and the dame waitresses are often real bitches about some of the mistakes i make and they go on and on about all the tips they've made or lack of. Hey sweetheart, i make 0 tips :(
Do you make tip wages? No? You're aware in a lot of countries waiters and waitresses are legally allowed to make below minimum wage, because they're expected to have the rest balanced by tips.

I work off commission (I'm full time though) so my hourly rate is also fairly low. That said, I can easily make more than an average of 20 dollars an hour if I'm putting the effort in, which makes me earn more than any of the other staff positions in the store.

dragonslayer32

Jan 11, 2010
I volunteer at the childrens society and have done works experience at my local museum and a garden centre.

Betancore

Apr 23, 2010
Well I've had a few casual jobs, mainly teaching elderly people to use the internet. Until the stupid library started offering the same service for free. Oh well. And I work at a post office during the holidays, sometimes. They get crazily busy in the weeks before Christmas.

I'm currently working in the music department of a radio station, and next year I'll be able to start hosting shows again. I also do a bit of instructing, although I don't do it often, because people have trouble taking me seriously. I don't blame them. Sometimes if I'm feeling up to it, I'll sacrifice my sleep and sit behind a camera at 4 AM. Loads of fun.

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
Angerwing said:
meglathon said:

Do you make tip wages? No? You're aware in a lot of countries waiters and waitresses are legally allowed to make below minimum wage, because they're expected to have the rest balanced by tips.

I work off commission (I'm full time though) so my hourly rate is also fairly low. That said, I can easily make more than an average of 20 dollars an hour if I'm putting the effort in, which makes me earn more than any of the other staff positions in the store.
Not where i work, everyone get minimum wage, so they get a pay and tip, and thats whats agavates me.

Sun Flash

Fus Roh Dizzle
Apr 15, 2009
I am unemployed and no one wants my service. HIRE ME.

Although before unemployment, I worked at a GAME store. it was sweet. I miss it muchly.

snide_cake

Nov 29, 2009
I had two part-time jobs at one stage...

Between 9am to 3pm I worked at Hungry Jacks serving up burgers.

Then I'd have a break between 3pm and 5pm.

5pm to 11pm I'd work at Pizza Hut, making pizzas, delivering pizzas and closing up shop.

That was every working day. Weekends I was lucky enough to swing with both places to have off.

It was hard yakka and I hated it, but at least I know the lengths I'll go to keep afloat.

Right now I work full-time 40.5 hrs a week and have my own gardening business which means I do about 4 to 6 hrs of work on the weekends too.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
A few years back I held three jobs simultaneously. In the morning I'd work at the local convenience store, in the early afternoon I'd check in for an hour or two at the video rental place (insert Clerks reference here) and then over to the pizza joint for the remainder of the evening. Then there was the occasional yard work or babysitting to garner some walking around money. Didn't have much of a life that summer...

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Ad delivery guy. I would have felt bad about it if I hadn't been so disrespectful to all the stupid rules there were.

Synonymous

Aug 6, 2009
Cashier for Home Depot. Don't do this; the store is always in need of cashiers, and they therefore will never, ever promote you to another department, no matter how good your performance. In my store, this applied particularly if you were female. (No, it wasn't due to a gender-based disparity in home-improvement know-how; most employees know nothing about their departments before they enter in and receive training.)

The other dangerous position is lot - keeping the parking lot clean and loading customers' cars. You're doing dirty, backbreaking work in miserable weather for minimum wage. Always go for a sales position in the main store, which pays a couple dollars per hour more than lot or cashiering. Paint and garden are generally the easiest departments to get in from off the street.

ETA: Hmm, just noticed I'm necroposting.

Hellz_Barz

May 16, 2009
I forgot the technical term but basically i test dirt. Get to leave at 3 everyday and pay is alright, so it's pretty good.

Kirkby

May 3, 2010
I worked in a steel mill. There not as gay as the simpsons make them out to b

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
Throughout High School and some of college I was an employee at Aaron Brothers (an art supply store). I eventually made it into the picture-framing part of the store. I loved it with the exception of a couple really douchy managers we had. In fact, if I won the lottery or something I'd probably try to go back and work someplace like that again.

MomoHime64

Jul 4, 2010
Front-desk girl and assistant at a tat shop - and also, guinea pig for the trainee. I got some awesome tats for free because of that. :)

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
GamesB2 said:
I have pretty pathetic pickings...

A paper round once a week, and I did work experience at CEX... that's it.

It's so difficult to get hired anywhere...
I hear you, and feel your pain. I tried to get a job all through Sixth Form, and through uni, and I've only just managed to get hired anywhere (save for a two-day stint as a temporary sales assistant at NEXT when they needed temp people for their summer sale last year...).

I'm now in my third year at Leeds Uni and I was really lucky to get this. A new Waitrose store opened up in the Meanwood area of Leeds, not too far from me, and I managed to get a job working three evenings a week (though I do have the option for extra hours whenever necessary at time-and-a-half) in Operations. That is, I basically do part of the stock management for the supermarket, reducing prices of goods that are going out of date (so they'll sell quickly and not be wasted), doing all the little jobs, and removing damaged/out of date stock from the shelves (known as Wastage). In my section, we're basically the ones who do the most work and have all the crap jobs to do, but we're also tied intrinsically to every other section (Fresh Foods, Bakery, Hospitality, etc.) and we're effectively the most important people at the store below the managers :D. And it pays well too, £6.08 per hour (and I work twelve hours per week, around uni...). Not a bad job, overall :D.

Actually, speaking of which, one of the guys in my section has just graduated, so he's back home in Leeds trying to find another job to help him out. In the meantime he's taking on as many hours as possible to get as much money as possible from working at Waitrose. So last week his contracted hours were 12 over seven days. He ended up working, voluntarily, about 68 hours over the whole week, including Sundays (when pay is doubled). To be honest, I'd probably do the same thing if I didn't have university during the day...