Partying with loud music at late night: your thoughts?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
RiseOfTheWhiteWolf said:
I'm all for it provided I'm invited. If not the fuckers better get off my lawn.

As for your current predicament buy some earpads or something. Where I live we have this Sch?tzenfest tradition thingy. Short version: everyone gets really fucking drunk and the next day the toughest march around with drums and trumpets and shit. So you wake up at 1 in the afternoon with a killer hangover after 3 hours of sleep and are treated to blaring march music right outside your window. Nothing you can do really, just hide under the pillow and wait it out.
Oh, we have something similar! Only our version gives the whole town a wake-up call (methods used vary from the classic trumpet to kids banging pots and pans together) in the early morning to get everyone ready for the final day of partying, traditions, party traditions and traditional parties. Aside from the bands and parade, Vogelschie?en is the main attraction.

It's only one weekend a year, nearly everyone in town gets involved in some way and they get some good bands to play live. Tha's all fine by me. Even if you don't like it, you can prepare for it long it advance.

What I'm not a fan of are loud pre-birthday parties on Thursday nights that for some reason involve firing fireworks at midnight. Those people are all assholes.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
I wouldn't say everyone who set up the party is a dick per say.

When my mate was hosting the party at his flat (his place is NICE and big), it got loud and his neighbour from above his flat complain about the music (we were outside at the balcony). We immediately apology and went back inside and shut the door, hopefully quieting out for that neighbour of his.

Ok in hindsight he should had inform that neighbour beforehand but hey, I wasn't the one holding the party.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
How often does this happen, where you live? I can understand if there are parties a couple of times a year on friday nights, preferably during summer or around christmas when fewer people work. If they do this every week or more, you might want to petition your local government to put a stop to that. I don't know where you live though, and what the relevant rules are.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Looks like I haven't given enough details to pinpoint the specific situation.

Ok, so here's the thing: every year there's an annual summer fair which involves music at late night.

Over the course of the years, I've seen the fair devolve from instrumental music until 12.30 to..... LOUD rave music until 2.00.

Now I've got three days of pain in which I got, trust me that it's not an exaggeration, a literal rave party right outside of my window.

To make matters worse, I'm the kind of person who finds the concept of getting drunk/stoned over superloud superrepetitive sounds to be absolutely dumb, so I can't even tolerate or understand them more because it's not something I would ever do myself.

To make matters even worse, I live in the CENTER of the town and I have this seething anger at the tought the municipality and politicians of this fucking country give permission and actually encourage a rave party RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE TOWN.

I'm on the third night and boy am I feeling sick and dizzy from the lack of proper sleep.

So it's my hate for the very notion of getting stoned with superloud repetitive sounds (which however I'd let people do as long as they don't cause me to not sleep!), my hate for such an injustice being allowed RIGHT HERE IN THE TOWN.
And, above all, the physical distress of lack of sleep.

Yes, it's only three days a year. Point is, in the latest couple years, pubs have picked up the habit and started pumping up loud noise till very late at night, once or twice every month.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nature Guardian said:

Ok, so here's the thing: every year there's an annual summer fair which involves music at late night.

Over the course of the years, I've seen the fair devolve from instrumental music until 12.30 to..... LOUD rave music until 2.00.

Now I've got three days of pain in which I got, trust me that it's not an exaggeration, a literal rave party right outside of my window.

To make matters worse, I'm the kind of person who finds the concept of getting drunk/stoned over superloud superrepetitive sounds to be absolutely dumb, so I can't even tolerate or understand them more because it's not something I would ever do myself.

To make matters even worse, I live in the CENTER of the town and I have this seething anger at the tought the municipality and politicians of this fucking country give permission and actually encourage a rave party RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE TOWN.

I'm on the third night and boy am I feeling sick and dizzy from the lack of proper sleep.

So it's my hate for the very notion of getting stoned with superloud repetitive sounds (which however I'd let people do as long as they don't cause me to not sleep!), my hate for such an injustice being allowed RIGHT HERE IN THE TOWN.

Yes, it's only three days a year. Point is, in the latest couple years, pubs have picked up the habit and started pumping up loud noise till very late at night, once or twice every month.
Well, you haven't yet explained what part of the world you hail from, but...

I suggest you keep raising a fuss, and then point out that the reason you're crabby and irritable - since they ask - is that you can't get any fucking sleep because of 'UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ UNTZ' in your ears. The high-paced bass tempo that's vibrating bits of your house will effect your bio-rhythms, which need to be in a relaxed state to sleep. And if they get smart with you and say "Well, where the hell should they party, then?", give 'em The Look (You know the one.) and reply "How 'bout where there's no fucking people or somewhere actually able to muffle the sound?".

It IS noise pollution. Permission to rave is not permission to force it down everyone else's throats.

gsilver

Apr 21, 2010
Country
USA
The people who go to them are horrible, and the people who host them are the scum of the earth.

I can't even comprehend wanting to be in the environment of a party, and if they're keeping me from sleeping, well, there are few things in this world that I hate less.

//Thank fucking god that I'm in an HOA that bans this sort of thing... one of the few things that would ever have me say that.

//Greatly cleaned up version of what I wrote earlier with 90% less rage

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Let the kids play, its the weekend you miserable git.

Let them party, get drunk, get laid. Make stories they will repeat to their friends for years to come. You might even like it if you gave it a try...

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
Nature Guardian said:

Right. Ehm, well four days in a row right outside your window is a bit much. Even if I would join the first night, I'd want some sleep during the nights after that. In any case, can't you and others who feel like this petition the organisers and/or town authorities to move nighttime celebrations to a more suitable location? This sounds like a situation that can be solved.

PurplePonyArcade

Apr 9, 2015
I do not really like parties. Maybe its because people are stressed so much by day and just want a moment of not giving a fuck at night. That is all fine and good. I am a nightwalker myself but I hate parties and people. Did you work on a noise complaint? Never done that before but it sounds like it is called for.

Mar 26, 2008
Nature Guardian said:
The Rogue Wolf said:
It's not allowed. Call the police and report a noise disturbance.

People do it because people are selfish jerks who don't think beyond their own transient enjoyment.
Ah, I had not explained that..... they got permission from our municipality to party up all night.

Which is why I'm so baffled. If only it was illegal, problem solved. But today I complained and I got dirty looks like "can't these people have fun some time?"..... no they cannot if their idea of fun is damaging public quiet and other people's sleep cycle.
Even if they have a permit, I'm pretty sure the EPA (or whatever your local authority is regarding sound pollution) will tell you they legally have to turn it down after 1am at the very latest. Or at least that's the case in Australia.

I had rude fuckers over the back fence who were like that. I went over there a few times during the year and told them face to face to turn it down (I'm 6"2' and of reasonable build so I can bluff people at times). That would work for a while and the next time they'd be back a max volume. Cops have been called a few times. Again with the same result. But you know what has worked permanently? I snuck around there at about 1:30am, opened their meter box on the side of the house and flipped the circuit breakers off. Chaos ensured and I made a quick getaway. The next time they had a party, wasn't half as loud. I'll take the fuses if they do it again.

RaikuFA said:
Solution: fire and lots of it.
Seconded.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
Meh.... not enough people celebrating life. As long as it is every fifth night or greater I don't see the problem. As long as it's not a place they're unwelcome and it isn't ridiculously loud. Sometimes people want to be loud, do some drugs, dance, wake up eith the worst kidney pain you've ever had (at least that fortnight).

People aren't robots. As long as most nights of the week you get a moderate degree of quiet, can't you put up with the occasional affirmation other people are living their life and having whatever little fun they can eke out of it? Two nights in a row is annoying... but if that is an anomaly, I wouldn't worry about it.

At our apartment complex it's customary to invite everyone two levels below the rooftop overlook if there is a party there. Gotta share the planet... I'd rather let people be occasionally loud then have police basically kick down doors on a regular basis. Plus I don't want to get people in trouble for holding or recently used just because they're occasionally noisy.

People wanna live.

Domestics on the otherhand. Gah. Never good having to put up with them too occasionally. If you start hearing loud, sharp noises I'll consider calling the police.

Besides, in my case at least, bit stupid to move close to the center of Australia's biggest city and be annoyed by a little noise. I like a bit of background noise... I also like how my place is bathed in neon blood red and sharp, jagged pitch shadows at night/dusk. Gives my place a grim noir feel as I get home from uni. Plus it means I never have to use lights unless I'm going out. It just wouldn't have that future-dark murder scene feel without the random noises of thr city, including parties in the background. Aesthetic harmony of the set dressing means a lot to me.

Sep 13, 2009
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
It depends on how late it goes, but I've had nights where I only got an hour or two of sleep from people partying. It can really fuck up your day, especially if you've got something important to do like write a test. Most tests I've taken, losing a night of sleep before would have a similar effect to not studying at all. I had one test where my hand wouldnt stop shaking from all the adrenaline I was running on to stay awake.

I get the what youre saying about letting people have fun, but I'd feel like a real ass if I had to ruin someone's day/semester for me to get my kicks.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
The Almighty Aardvark said:
Addendum_Forthcoming said:
It depends on how late it goes, but I've had nights where I only got an hour or two of sleep from people partying. It can really fuck up your day, especially if you've got something important to do like write a test. Most tests I've taken, losing a night of sleep before would have a similar effect to not studying at all. I had one test where my hand wouldnt stop shaking from all the adrenaline I was running on to stay awake.

I get the what youre saying about letting people have fun, but I'd feel like a real ass if I had to ruin someone's day/semester for me to get my kicks.
Yeah, I get that feeling ... I've been in that situation. Well it was more noisy roommate that I think had a miniature breakdown? I felt really bad for her.

Personally I can;'t sleep before test unless it's late in the afternoon. My brain won't let me so I just cram. But in this case I could neither cram, nor just leave her be because it was a serious shit sandwich ontop of a pretty miserly week. Having to cut classes to help her injured dad, ontop of having to quit her job to do so. So her future was going to be fairly bleak, end of semester and knowing you're going to fail classes regardless of what you do is probably a terrible feeling when you were kind of relying on it to get out of uni early.

So I just got a doctor's certificate and academic consideration <.<

Admittedly that probably sucks a whole lot more when you have to pay for your doctor.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
We explicitly designate public areas for late night clubbing and generally disruptive behavior so that they lose their aspects of being so disruptive when that's what they area is for and everyone's clear about that. Domestic parties need to die, you wanna make an excessive amount of noise "listening" to music so turned up the bass is aggressively overwhelming the rest of the song you sign a death warrant in my eyes.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Alright grandad ;) middle of town ain't ever going to be garunteed peace, especially if there's a damn annual music festival permitted for the area. Everybody who's lived in a town or city centre can attest to that. It's a planned public celebration, you don't have to like it. Evidently many people do. So either figure a way to adapt to the busy Bohemian environment which cannot change just for you, or find somewhere else to live so that a noise complaint would be more reasonable and understanding. It'se if I moved to a farm and complained that it often smelt like shit in the mornings.
There are useful methods for alleviating pain, some which may be kindly provided by the people mingling within the noise. :)

RedRockRun

sneaky sneaky
Jul 23, 2009
If you party with loud music late at night when people can hear you then you're a douchebag. There's no other way around it.

Addendum_Forthcoming

Queen of the Edit
Feb 4, 2009
RedRockRun said:
If you party with loud music late at night when people can hear you then you're a douchebag. There's no other way around it.
Surely the quality of the party matters? There has to be some fair metric for it. I mean if it just turns out to be a boring party with loud music, that's kind of shit ... but if it ends with a live showing of pretty good local talent shredding on the rooftop and you manage to steal a slab of Crownies and a bottle of Johnnie in the ensuing chaos when you technically weren't invited, surely there is a level of 'all's fair'?

Can't just be 'yay' or 'nay', right? Honestly, I'm 33 years old and well-off, and I'm not above petty larceny to square mild annoyance into a solid emotional win. Then again, I am Australian.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Legally, in the UK at least, it's not allowed post-11pm, but only on a frequent complaint basis can the police come in to do something. I was called out for it once when I was doing a party, but not since.

However, I do play music reasonably loudly up til midnight on my stereo, I just enjoy having music playing everwhere in the house, my flatmates never complain about it since we just work with it.

BadNewDingus

Sep 3, 2014
Good luck. I had neighbors before that would have bonfires every night, and it was a big family(Hispanic). Our house was so close that I could literally hear separate conversations going on while playing on my computer(WoW at the time). I called the police and nothing happened. So I just dealt with it until I finally moved.

They are gonna probably know it's you that called or the other neighbor. Meh.