Partying with loud music at late night: your thoughts?

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Nature Guardian said:
every year there's an annual summer fair which involves music at late night.

in the latest couple years, pubs have picked up the habit and started pumping up loud noise till very late at night, once or twice every month.
So, which one of those two is the case that is getting under your skin right now? If it's the pub every once or twice, you should either get better sound isolation for your sleep or gather with other neighbors and file together a complain with the municipality.

If it's the fair, I'd prepare to take vacations away from it in advance (I assume it's scheduled in advance, so you can tell exactly on which days are going to be) and visit some relatives or sleep in an hotel. You could try the neighbors and municipality tactic too, but I'm not certain you'll have as much support as with the loud pubs.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
You certainly have my sympathies there. My town has something called "Porch Fest" where the several front porches around town become venues for local bands. At least the music's not as mindless as the usual club music. I had a friend over that day which helped me ignore the music and focus on hosting.

On the other hand, there's also the guys across the street who love having loud parties with music on their outdoor balcony on random days. I've got the same issue where the sound itself isn't what bothers me, but rather the idea behind it. The warped narrative in my head usually goes, "I can't respect people who let their inhibitions sink to that level, and now those subhumans are encroaching on my peace and quiet!"

In the end, if it's late and I go up there and ask them to take the party inside, they're actually pretty cooperative. I've never needed to be hostile about it. Often they just need to be reminded that their noise is affecting others in the neighborhood. Sleeping afterwards is tough though, thanks to the rush I get from knowing I was the one who brought tranquility back to the neighborhood.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Legally, in the UK at least, it's not allowed post-11pm, but only on a frequent complaint basis can the police come in to do something. I was called out for it once when I was doing a party, but not since.

However, I do play music reasonably loudly up til midnight on my stereo, I just enjoy having music playing everwhere in the house, my flatmates never complain about it since we just work with it.
I like to listen to music too. That's why I use headphones? Why do you need a booming stereo system to listen to music?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
sageoftruth said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
Legally, in the UK at least, it's not allowed post-11pm, but only on a frequent complaint basis can the police come in to do something. I was called out for it once when I was doing a party, but not since.

However, I do play music reasonably loudly up til midnight on my stereo, I just enjoy having music playing everwhere in the house, my flatmates never complain about it since we just work with it.
I like to listen to music too. That's why I use headphones? Why do you need a booming stereo system to listen to music?
Because I have a really good stereo system that I invested my hard earned money into. Small headphone speakers do not compare to a full setup, especially not when you listen to loads of new music constantly.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
sageoftruth said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

How do you dance with headphones on?
Besides, how are you going to keep headphones or earbuds or any of that crap on while doing this?!:

I remember when me and my 5 sisters used to crank up the music and all start doing flips and cartwheels everywhere in the yard.. Cars used to pull over and people would line up just to watch because it was pretty crazy. Probably looked like a circus act. LOL

Burnsidhe

Sep 20, 2013
The solution is simple. Sue the municipality and the organizers of the festival for damages. The specific relief you could ask for is either revoking the permit or adding limits to the permit about how late and how loud the music can be, and monetary damages from the people who approve the entertainment and set the rules for the festival.

If you can get other residents around you to join the suit, the city will respond pretty quickly, especially if its a smaller one; they don't want to spend money on defending themselves. Sometimes just the notice of people considering legal action will force changes. Circulate petitions, present the petition to the local government, then get a lawyer on your side.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Burnsidhe said:
The solution is simple. Sue the municipality and the organizers of the festival for damages. The specific relief you could ask for is either revoking the permit or adding limits to the permit about how late and how loud the music can be, and monetary damages from the people who approve the entertainment and set the rules for the festival.

If you can get other residents around you to join the suit, the city will respond pretty quickly, especially if its a smaller one; they don't want to spend money on defending themselves. Sometimes just the notice of people considering legal action will force changes. Circulate petitions, present the petition to the local government, then get a lawyer on your side.
It is not so simple if the OP lives in an area where this is legally allowed. Some cities have 24 hour bars/nightclubs and if they live in a part of the city zoned to allow that, their only recourse is to move or invest in soundproofing and earplugs. It is all about location as laws and zoning greatly varies. It is like moving to an area that has 24hr bands playing next door and expecting it to be quiet. In some areas, you really do not have many options.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

It is not so simple if the OP lives in an area where this is legally allowed. Some cities have 24 hour bars/nightclubs and if they live in a part of the city zoned to allow that, their only recourse is to move or invest in soundproofing and earplugs. It is all about location as laws and zoning greatly varies. It is like moving to an area that has 24hr bands playing next door and expecting it to be quiet. In some areas, you really do not have many options.
Has the OP yet stated where he lives?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

No, but stated they have a permit to do so, thus it is legal where they live. I have been in areas where this was common.. there is no winning when it is allowed there, hell many times there is no winning where it is not allowed as the police have to care enough to actually do something about it and depending on where that is there level of care varies drastically.

Best hope you have when this is actually legal there is to either move or soundproof. Starting war with the neighbors, especially when they have enough friends to have a loud party to begin with usually does not end well. The more people you piss off, the more people that are likely to retaliate. If you are forced to live next to them, you don't want to make a bad situation worse. I know how mobs of angry, rowdy drunks can be,(I had more than 200 people show up to one of my birthday parties and it was insane
and I didn't even invite any of them to begin with) and it isn't pretty and the burden of proof on who did what is on you. The nonsense on the "Neighbors" movies is minor compared to some of the things I have seen happen...

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

No, but stated they have a permit to do so, thus it is legal where they live. I have been in areas where this was common.. there is no winning when it is allowed there, hell many times there is no winning where it is not allowed as the police have to care enough to actually do something about it and depending on where that is there level of care varies drastically.

Best hope you have when this is actually legal there is to either move or soundproof. Starting war with the neighbors, especially when they have enough friends to have a loud party to begin with usually does not end well. The more people you piss off, the more people that are likely to retaliate. If you are forced to live next to them, you don't want to make a bad situation worse. I know how mobs of angry, rowdy drunks can be,(I had more than 200 people show up to one of my birthday parties and it was insane
and I didn't even invite any of them to begin with) and it isn't pretty and the burden of proof on who did what is on you. The nonsense on the "Neighbors" movies is minor compared to some of the things I have seen happen...
None of this discussion matters without the discussion of where, because then we don't even really know what options there are, what legalities can be approached, or anything. These are just shots in the dark and we have nothing to comment on. Where is it? Is it here somewhere in America, where it might spread to other parts of the US with a set precident? Is it Germany? Denmark? Greece? I feel this is somewhat important.

CellShaded

Aug 8, 2009
bjj hero said:
Let the kids play, its the weekend you miserable git.

Let them party, get drunk, get laid. Make stories they will repeat to their friends for years to come. You might even like it if you gave it a try...
This is basically one of the only reasonable answers in this thread. If they have a permit, you could get in trouble for constantly calling the police to complain about a legal party. Also, goddamn, it's just three days. Buy earplugs, sleep at a friend's place, visit family. Or just toughen up for three days.

Most of you need to loosen the hell up.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

None of this discussion matters without the discussion of where, because then we don't even really know what options there are, what legalities can be approached, or anything. These are just shots in the dark and we have nothing to comment on. Where is it? Is it here somewhere in America, where it might spread to other parts of the US with a set precident? Is it Germany? Denmark? Greece? I feel this is somewhat important.
Them having a permit limited their options already regardless of the other laws.
I know in Texas, it greatly varies, but frequently the police stance on this issue here is "Their property they do what they want" for just about everything. They could care less that time when my birthday party turned into a block party. If they have to live by someone regardless though, better to make friends than piss them off. If you are going to piss them off, may be better to be when you are moving out than have to live next to them every day.

Seeing an angry mob of drunks running through someones property stealing their brisket off the grill and pissing in their pool is not something you can unsee.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

Them having a permit limited their options already regardless of the other laws.
I know in Texas, it greatly varies, but frequently the police stance on this issue here is "Their property they do what they want" for just about everything. They could care less that time when my birthday party turned into a block party. If they have to live by someone regardless though, better to make friends than piss them off. If you are going to piss them off, may be better to be when you are moving out than have to live next to them every day.

Seeing an angry mob of drunks running through someones property stealing their brisket off the grill and pissing in their pool is not something you can unsee.
I feel stealing their food dressed up as a bunch of team mascot honey badgers would be fairly appropriate. Still, things are a bit loose in Texas, aren't they? I imagine down there, if you were to wander into said party and say "Well, I gotta work tomorrow, though." in a friendly enough tone, the runner of the party would make it less deafening or at least hand you a beer as a peace offering. Am I somewhere close to the mark there?

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

I feel stealing their food dressed up as a bunch of team mascot honey badgers would be fairly appropriate. Still, things are a bit loose in Texas, aren't they? I imagine down there, if you were to wander into said party and say "Well, I gotta work tomorrow, though." in a friendly enough tone, the runner of the party would make it less deafening or at least hand you a beer as a peace offering. Am I somewhere close to the mark there?
They could hand you a beer, shoot roman candles and Saturn missile batteries at you or hog tie you and drag you from the back of their truck down a gravel road.. You never know how that is going to go down here.

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

They could hand you a beer, shoot roman candles and Saturn missile batteries at you or hog tie you and drag you from the back of their truck down a gravel road.. You never know how that is going to go down here.
That definitely doesn't bode well, at all. Mind you, every action apart from the beer there is definitely illegal and dangerous, so if you get through that, you're probably set.

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
FalloutJack said:
Lil devils x said:
Burnsidhe said:

That definitely doesn't bode well, at all. Mind you, every action apart from the beer there is definitely illegal and dangerous, so if you get through that, you're probably set.
It is never about what happens, it is about what you can prove and having someone willing to prosecute it.

In addition you are STILL living next to them regardless of what any of their " unknown acquaintances that may or may not have been there that no one can remember" did or did not do or WILL or will not do.

Apr 24, 2008
Suck it up for a couple more nights? Put headphones on and catch up on some movies/games?

There are worse things than not getting all that much sleep for a couple of days. It sounds like it's beyond your control, so at some point you gotta acknowledge that you're just choosing to be mad. Why dwell on it?

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Lil devils x said:
sageoftruth said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

How do you dance with headphones on?
Besides, how are you going to keep headphones or earbuds or any of that crap on while doing this?!:

I remember when me and my 5 sisters used to crank up the music and all start doing flips and cartwheels everywhere in the yard.. Cars used to pull over and people would line up just to watch because it was pretty crazy. Probably looked like a circus act. LOL
Daaaamn... It looks like you appreciate you music a lot more actively than I do. Most of the time, I just listen while doing something else like reading, writing, exercise biking, running, gaming, or chores. It's hardly even the thing I'm mainly focused on.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
It?s all a part of the ?give and take? of living within the bounds of modern societal norms. Basic human decency dictates that no one of us has a right to regularly intrude upon shared space (in this case aural space) without regard for those we share that space with, but it also follows none of us can reasonably expect the constant and utter absence from that space of those we share it with.

As to why people do it, it?s because humans are social animals, have been for thousands of years. Back then, when we were largely tribal and more closely knit for myriad reasons, gathering for entertainment and food was a constant way of life and everyone within a given tribe participated. There still exists those closely knit tribes (i.e.: friends and family,) but they don?t necessarily all live together, and separate tribes (i.e.: you and your family and friends and me and my family and friends) generally live more closely together (i.e.: a suburban neighborhood is essentially a group of hundreds of tribes) which can lead to conflict. My tribe roasts a pig and dances to drums from 8pm to 8am and your tribe barbecues chicken and sings from 8am to 8pm; 3,000 years ago, we might have been 100 miles apart and rarely our paths would cross, but nowadays we?re less than 100 feet apart and it?s no longer acceptable to wage tribal warfare to express our rancor at being disturbed at inopportune times, so we call the police in lieu of raping each other?s women and burning each other?s homes to the ground.

If these parties are a routine thing, i.e. multiple times a month and this neighbor hasn?t had the courtesy to at least advise in advance or otherwise acknowledge their own lack of courtesy, then yes, you?re well within your right to call the police and report a disturbance, but I?d offer you might try the more diplomatic approach first and try talking to them. If this party is an anomaly, i.e.: once a year or every few months, chalk it up and hope that in the event you yourself ever need to make an excess of noise or otherwise partake of more than your fair share of any of the shared spaces attributed to the other commonly accepted four senses, your neighbor will concede and allow you your moment without fuss or involving the law to the tune of fines and/or public shaming.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
Sigmund Av Volsung said:
sageoftruth said:
Sigmund Av Volsung said:

Because I have a really good stereo system that I invested my hard earned money into. Small headphone speakers do not compare to a full setup, especially not when you listen to loads of new music constantly.
I suppose I can relate, at least through my roommate. He's got a decent surround sound system for playing video games and watching movies. While I couldn't care less about the quality of my sound, I know he does. He tends to be pretty picky about a lot of things regarding sound quality, framerate, and texture quality, which I wouldn't have noticed if he hadn't pointed them out to me.