Passed a sinister Steam milestone

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
I just noticed the other day after buying Goat Simulator (it's amusing, but wait for a sale, I predict the wait will not be a long one). I just passed the 666 games mark on Steam. I thought that was pretty interesting so I dressed up my profile in some of the more Satanic badges and backgrounds that I have.

For discussion, to those who have abandoned physical media, or even just partially have, when did you decide that you didn't want to purchase physical copies anymore? What was the reason you chose to? How many games do you own on digital distribution? Which are your favorites to use?

To answer my own questions:

I just partially have abandoned physical media, I still do buy collector's editions of some games, the last one was being BioShock: Infinite. I decided not to buy physical editions of games anymore when I tried to pre-order Ghostbusters: The Video Game from EB Games, the dense manager kept insisting the game was cancelled, as no one buys PC games anymore. The game was delayed, the manager's general ineptitude and lack of any real ability to read their own system pushed me to just order it from the American Amazon, but it showed up (unannounced) on Steam before the game arrived. Was at that point I decided that getting anything other than collector's editions on line was where I was going to go. I still only order collector's editions from Amazon. I do buy Steam cards from EB Games/Gamestop just to look at manager's reactions, their fear is delicious. My favorite online distribution is Steam, but I use all of them, I have 48 games on GoG, and 12 on Origin, I had three on another online distribution, was run by Filefront I believe? Was bought out years ago, they released the keys and installers I have them saved on an external drive.

So to those who have embraced the future, what are your thoughts?

GreyNicor

Mar 5, 2014
Monetary reasons really, steam discounts more both in quantity and quality then physical shops, that and storage.
Also storage, I have too many small games that would take up so much space if I had to store them individually.

Yuno Gasai

Queen of Yandere
Nov 6, 2010
My badge collection on Steam is a pretty sinister milestone for me.

I've had many friends question how I got so many trading cards (spoiler alert: I bought them) and why I have so many.

I still don't know why I find them so appealing.

But, I digress.

I have mostly abandoned physical media. I turned to Steam because it offered me a way of keeping my gaming library in check without the fear of losing CD keys or hard copies. I don't have to rummage through my emails a few months after deciding I want to pick up a certain game again, all I have to do is redownload it (or simply launch it). The convenience it offers me is unrivalled.

That being said, there are a select few games available that I can't avoid buying hard copies of - handheld titles, for one. Even if I could, I wouldn't. Part of the reason I like buying hard copies of handheld/console games are that they're so cheap. That they can be freely sold and traded without becoming redundant (much like serial keys) is priceless, and also enables me to get a much better deal on whichever game I'm looking to buy.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I usually go down the cheapest route, which is sometimes digital and sometimes physical. I'd say it's about 80% digital and 20% physical so far. Most of the games I get are on various sales, which are usually more generous on digital platforms like Steam and GOG. I find it difficult to pre-order games or purchase more expensive editions. Storage space is also a problem I have with CDs.

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
The main reason I changed to digital is because I tend to move around a lot with work or, in the past, study. I have lost so many games over the years that it is nice to have a secure method (mostly on GOG or Steam). There is always the 'what if they shut down' argument but I am going by my own experiences which don't include losing an online library*.

I am a sucker for feelies though, so if the only way to get them is a special edition, I tend to still get those. Companies seem to be changing feelies to separate mail order though which I am happy to do.

*yet...

EDIT:- missed questions, Steam is probably my most used method. Have 816 on Steam plus double figures on GOG and again as physical.

NuclearKangaroo

Feb 7, 2014
i abandoned physical copies because legit copies of games in my country are insanely expensive, while an equally legit digital copy is cheap as dirt and actually affordable

also congrats on your milestone, dark one

Ubiquitous Duck

Jan 16, 2014
It's faster. I can download a full game in half an hour, or less. Even next day delivery seems slow now.

All my games end up being in one place.

Ideal for putting games onto a new PC, without searching them out.

Can reinstall games without having to go find where I put them.

No CD keys, all just automated on Steam.

There's some general reasons why I think I switched to digital copies. I will sometimes order off Amazon or similar, if I can get a game much cheaper. But normally the desire to play RIGHT NOW overpowers that sensible monetary argument in my brain.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
Simple really: Very cheap when I buy them digitaly. Nothing more or less.
Plus most of the games I buy them here:

http://www.epicbundle.com/

Cool eh? :)