Pasta Strainer Recognized as "Religious Headgear" in Austria

LorienvArden

Feb 28, 2011
TheScientificIssole said:
Yes, I'd assume he's fighting for the fact that people should be able to believe in whatever they what.
He got checked for mental soundness! That's messed up!
Oh thats just austria for you.
If you don't conform to the norm, read our holy sun-equivalent "krone" and hate foreigners - you might as well check into the psychiatric ward yourself.
Seriously - we are deadlocked in a political system that gets next to nothing done, celebrates that a decree by the supreme court got eventually enforced after "just" three years and that can't decide wich way it might fail next.
N.B. You pay several hundred euro in church taxes a year if you admit to be christian. What did I get before I left ? A "Happy birthday" stamp on a form for charity donations. Yaeeee... thats RELIGION right ?

Since then - I went my merry way following the tennets of satanism. Now THATS making people stare if you include it in regular conversation...

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
frizzlebyte said:
Syntax Man said:
That is legitimately hilarious. What I do find somewhat odd is that they had him undergo psychological evaluation. By that string of logic all religious people ought to undergo such evaluation before being granted a driver's license.
Except that most established religions have (and yes, I'm sure someone will disagree) perfectly rational (read: non-psychologically disturbed) people as their adherents.

The fact that someone would want to wear a pasta strainer [i/]on[/i] their head sounds like one might be a bit...loose [i/]in[/i] the head. Especially when one says it is part of their religion.
Wait I want to keep a list for things like this.

Ok so it is alright for someone to believe that their omnipotent creator sent his only son to earth (that was actually himself in some sects) to die for the sins of mankind and then be brought back to life by said creator(that may or not be himself) and is remembered by hanging a cross around your neck which happens to be the instrument of torture and death for said savior of humanity is completely acceptable.

Wearing a pasta strainer to indicate that you have yet to undergo the straining ritual which cleanses you of all unnecessary bi-products and become a pure noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster calls for mental evaluation?(I have no idea if this is true or not but it sounds awesome and much deeper than I want to wear a pasta strainer because I can.)

Did I miss some fine print or something? I think I need a bigger list for what is acceptable in this world.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Can't tell if trolli-... yeah nvm, he's trollin' hard.
Nice job sir. Your noodly god would be proud of your dedication.

Dr_Horrible

Oct 24, 2010
I don't get why people are so worked up about this; the guy is just using satire to make a point about freedom of religion in a country that, I have heard, sorely needs to respect it more.

That, and Pastafarianism is both exceedingly awesome and hilarious.
(On a side note, my browser has now been forced to learn 'Pastafarianism')

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
this isnt my name said:
S what sitting down with your hands together talking to yourself is fine, but wearing something isnt ?

Its no stupider/less logical.
HontooNoNeko said:
Wait I want to keep a list for things like this.

Ok so it is alright for someone to believe that their omnipotent creator sent his only son to earth (that was actually himself in some sects) to die for the sins of mankind and then be brought back to life by said creator(that may or not be himself) and is remembered by hanging a cross around your neck which happens to be the instrument of torture and death for said savior of humanity is completely acceptable.

Wearing a pasta strainer to indicate that you have yet to undergo the straining ritual which cleanses you of all unnecessary bi-products and become a pure noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster calls for mental evaluation?

Did I miss some fine print or something? I think I need a bigger list for what is acceptable in this world.
Established religions essentially serve a socialization function to the culture (i.e. people are conditioned to pray from birth to a being who may-or-may-not be there, according to the established beliefs of the culture), and are therefore less likely to be the mark of someone with a lack of mental faculties, due to it being "normal."

Due to the modern-day duality of greater skepticism toward supposedly supernatural phenomena, and religious beliefs (rational or not) still existing within the broader culture, I think it is perfectly understandable to cast suspicion on some random dude who wants to wear a pasta strainer on their head, due to "religious beliefs," for their drivers license photo. I mean, I'd certainly think they might be a little off.

Now, had Pastafarianism established itself millenia before now, and it was essentially serving the same roles that other religions do right now, then I'd likely be saying the same thing about some other religion. Like Islam with the Burqa, for example. Or Judaism with the Yarmulke.

Is it fair? No. Is it understandable, given the fact that established religions are basically social institutions? Yeah.

Jun 23, 2008
I think a strainer is made up of a wire mesh and a colander is perforated plate steel.

But the proper dress of a(n orthodox) CFSM disciple is classical pirate wear, which has been shown to reduce climate change.

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Ghengis John said:
Yep, because those guys wearing confessional headgear were really stomping all over his rights. Way to show those assholes for minding their own business like that. Next battle: I hear some people like sunshine. How can we take those bastards down a peg?
And neither is he stomping all over their rights. All he's asking for is the same right. Do you really have a problem with that?

Jun 23, 2008
frizzlebyte said:
Except that most established religions have (and yes, I'm sure someone will disagree) perfectly rational (read: non-psychologically disturbed) people as their adherents.
I think the point is, if visibly having kooky religious beliefs is grounds for psychological evaluation, it should be, regardless if those beliefs are conventional or otherwise. I suspect a Russian Orthodox Bishop in full regalia is not subject to the same test. Nor New Ascetics in their simple tunics and bare feet.

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
this isnt my name said:
S what sitting down with your hands together talking to yourself is fine, but wearing something isnt ?

Its no stupider/less logical.
If you could explain the logic in choosing to wear a pasta strainer on your head, then go ahead. As for whether or not "talking to yourself", as you call it, is any more or less sensible than wearing something, that would of course depending on what that something is. A warm jacket a hood on a cold, wet day? Probably about the same. Wearing a kitchen utensil on you head? Now that is just being silly.

jurnag12

Nov 9, 2009
GiantRaven said:
As an atheist myself, I find the idea of a non-religious person pretending to be religious for the sake of humour somewhat offensive.
As an Atheist myself, I find this absolutely hilarious.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
manaman said:
GaltarDude1138 said:
in Australia...
Austria and Australia are not the same. One is a large country that occupies an entire continent, the other is a small country in Europe that is one of the few completely land locked countries in the world.
Sir, i have to thank you reassuring my believe that there is hope. Hope that one day people will stop mixing up my beloved country with that odd island where people celebrate christmas on the beach...

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
MarsProbe said:
Wearing a kitchen utensil on you head? Now that is just being silly.
Doesn't seem any more silly than a Yarmulke or a cross. Hell the pasta strainer even seems more practical. What if you need to strain noodles on the go huh? See if the man with the cross or Yarmulke can help you.

(this isn't for you specifically but also the person your responding to.)
Whether something is "logical" or "rational" is completely irrelevant. If that was our concern none of these religions would be able to practice any rituals. If it doesn't have a direct effect on this world then it is a waste of energy with no direct result which is illogical by itself.

ramox

Mar 11, 2010
Thedayrecker said:
Didn't Austria used to be an empire at one point?

If only their kings could see them now...
Emperors, to be exact ;o)
And there aren't any left. Oldest son of the last one just died a week ago at a very old age. And i got the feeling Franz Joseph (the last emperor we had) would find that pretty hilarious.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Andy Chalk said:
Ghengis John said:
Yep, because those guys wearing confessional headgear were really stomping all over his rights. Way to show those assholes for minding their own business like that. Next battle: I hear some people like sunshine. How can we take those bastards down a peg?
And neither is he stomping all over their rights. All he's asking for is the same right. Do you really have a problem with that?
No he's not. Because the strainer does not actually hold the same meaning to him. He's simply mocking those rights for no real reason than he took offense that they were given to somebody else in the first place. Nobody forced him to wear confessional headgear, and there wasn't really a reason for him to care other than sheer uppitiness. Of course the real question is why does Austria regulate hats at all? Frankly if I was working at the DMV and some guy came in wanting to take a picture with a silly hat for his ID, he's welcomed to live with it.

Red-Link

Feb 10, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Andy Chalk said:
Ghengis John said:
No he's not. Because the strainer does not actually hold the same meaning to him. He's simply mocking those rights for no real reason than he took offense that they were given to somebody else in the first place. Nobody forced him to wear confessional headgear, and there wasn't really a reason for him to care other than sheer uppitiness. Of course the real question is why does Australia regulate hats at all? Frankly if I was working at the DMV and some guy came in wanting to take a picture with a silly hat for his ID, he's welcomed to live with it.
I believe that that is one of the points. What if I want to wear a hat? I'm not allowed? Well... it's a religious hat. Take that.

This isn't the first time that religious people are given an exception to a standing rule, nor is it the first time someone has gone out of their way to point something of the like out. Also, apparently, such things are really bad in Austria, giving him more reason to do this.

VeluCherry said:
ramox said:
Sir, i have to thank you reassuring my believe that there is hope. Hope that one day people will stop mixing up my beloved country with that odd island where people celebrate christmas on the beach...
THIS
This so much. Seriously, even news stations keep mixing that up.No kangaroos in Austria!
I now have a new goal. The lines between Austria and Australia shall be extinguished so that not even the residents know not what country they are in. Kangaroos in Austria are Step 1!