Pasta Strainer Recognized as "Religious Headgear" in Austria

smartengine

Mar 23, 2010
ike42 said:
smartengine said:
As soon as I heard Pasta Strainer, I knew this is going to be about the Flying spaghetti monster... :D

Now what religious headgear would the followers of the Church of Google wear?
I'm thinking something like the head of the android logo.
meh.. already got it, need something new to impress the ladies :D

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
HontooNoNeko said:
frizzlebyte said:
Syntax Man said:
That is legitimately hilarious. What I do find somewhat odd is that they had him undergo psychological evaluation. By that string of logic all religious people ought to undergo such evaluation before being granted a driver's license.
Except that most established religions have (and yes, I'm sure someone will disagree) perfectly rational (read: non-psychologically disturbed) people as their adherents.

The fact that someone would want to wear a pasta strainer [i/]on[/i] their head sounds like one might be a bit...loose [i/]in[/i] the head. Especially when one says it is part of their religion.
Wait I want to keep a list for things like this.

Ok so it is alright for someone to believe that their omnipotent creator sent his only son to earth (that was actually himself in some sects) to die for the sins of mankind and then be brought back to life by said creator(that may or not be himself) and is remembered by hanging a cross around your neck which happens to be the instrument of torture and death for said savior of humanity is completely acceptable.

Wearing a pasta strainer to indicate that you have yet to undergo the straining ritual which cleanses you of all unnecessary bi-products and become a pure noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster calls for mental evaluation?(I have no idea if this is true or not but it sounds awesome and much deeper than I want to wear a pasta strainer because I can.)

Did I miss some fine print or something? I think I need a bigger list for what is acceptable in this world.
Look, I know you are making a point, but they way you are making it isn't helping your cause.

Mainstream religion is accepted because it is. It's been around a long time, been through the persecution and still hangs on. That is why it is acceptable. How in the world that compares to admitting to faith in a documentedly fake religion that nobody else takes serious is beyond me and not even close to being on the same level of acceptability. in my book to truly believe that is a rung or two below cult. At least in a cult they sucker you in and other people believe the same stuff.

This only makes you sound like an obstinate antitheist looking hard for the next opportunity to bash religion, and the only people that would find it a serious argument are other antitheists.

Cocamaster

Apr 1, 2009
As a religious person, I actually find this pretty funny.

Still, I have to wonder why, when the Austrian government made the call, the person's very public motivations never entered the equation.

It's one thing to protect someone's religious beliefs, or lack thereoff, but openly fake ones?

That does seem silly.

Then again, in the U.S. some guy tried to sue God to make a point, so what do I know.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
manaman said:
HontooNoNeko said:
frizzlebyte said:
Syntax Man said:
That is legitimately hilarious. What I do find somewhat odd is that they had him undergo psychological evaluation. By that string of logic all religious people ought to undergo such evaluation before being granted a driver's license.
Except that most established religions have (and yes, I'm sure someone will disagree) perfectly rational (read: non-psychologically disturbed) people as their adherents.

The fact that someone would want to wear a pasta strainer [i/]on[/i] their head sounds like one might be a bit...loose [i/]in[/i] the head. Especially when one says it is part of their religion.

Ok so it is alright for someone to believe that their omnipotent creator sent his only son to earth (that was actually himself in some sects) to die for the sins of mankind and then be brought back to life by said creator(that may or not be himself) and is remembered by hanging a cross around your neck which happens to be the instrument of torture and death for said savior of humanity is completely acceptable.

Wearing a pasta strainer to indicate that you have yet to undergo the straining ritual which cleanses you of all unnecessary bi-products and become a pure noodly appendage of the flying spaghetti monster calls for mental evaluation?(I have no idea if this is true or not but it sounds awesome and much deeper than I want to wear a pasta strainer because I can.)

Did I miss some fine print or something? I think I need a bigger list for what is acceptable in this world.
Look, I know you are making a point, but they way you are making it isn't helping your cause.

Mainstream religion is accepted because it is. It's been around a long time, been through the persecution and still hangs on. That is why it is acceptable. How in the world that compares to admitting to faith in a documentedly fake religion that nobody else takes serious is beyond me and not even close to being on the same level of acceptability. in my book to truly believe that is a rung or two below cult. At least in a cult they sucker you in and other people believe the same stuff.

This only makes you sound like an obstinate antitheist looking hard for the next opportunity to bash religion, and the only people that would find it a serious argument are other antitheists.
Actually you do have a point I didn't see any other way to get the point across at the moment and it came out a bit harsh. I apologize!

However with that said I find the term "fake religion" aggravating beyond words. What requirements does one have to achieve in order to be called a proper religion? The amount of time it existed, whoever came up with it, how many people follow it and how the thought of it affects someones life are all irrelevant when it comes to verifying whether it can be consider "real" or "fake". I want all religions to be treated equally regardless of their background. If someone thinks the pasta strainer is stupid and is not an anti-theist than why would someone who believes any other religious symbol looks stupid be called one?

I have nothing against religion and I want equality for all not just the ones that people think are "real".

TheScientificIssole

Jun 9, 2011
LorienvArden said:
TheScientificIssole said:
Yes, I'd assume he's fighting for the fact that people should be able to believe in whatever they what.
He got checked for mental soundness! That's messed up!
Oh thats just austria for you.
If you don't conform to the norm, read our holy sun-equivalent "krone" and hate foreigners - you might as well check into the psychiatric ward yourself.
Seriously - we are deadlocked in a political system that gets next to nothing done, celebrates that a decree by the supreme court got eventually enforced after "just" three years and that can't decide wich way it might fail next.
N.B. You pay several hundred euro in church taxes a year if you admit to be christian. What did I get before I left ? A "Happy birthday" stamp on a form for charity donations. Yaeeee... thats RELIGION right ?

Since then - I went my merry way following the tennets of satanism. Now THATS making people stare if you include it in regular conversation...
It seems as if you hopped from one extreme to another.
Hey, I'm Atheist. I'd assume I'm quite the Satanist as well. Only thing I avoid is singling out anybody. People should give a shit about any thing they want to as long as they don't make anyone else give one too.
But, I wouldn't understand.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I'll be honest, it's funny, and I fully see the point when they were doing things like trying to get "Pastafarian Design" taught along with ID.

But this is just a bit mocking. Religions mean something to some people. There isn't a major religion that hasn't had believers ready to die for their faith.

And then there's this dude. It's not like skullcaps and headdresses were offending his sensibilities. Wearing headgear slightly degrades an indentity photo and it was great the government is willing to be flexible for people who really believe in the importance of their dress.

But this dude just wants a laugh

airrazor7

Nov 8, 2010
this isnt my name said:
At the end of the day, people who pray take it seriously. At the end of the day for pasta-strainer-on-head guy, he is simply mocking the practices, religious or otherwise, of other people. It would be the same thing in principle if people started mocking something you took seriously. If you don't want to practice a religion, fine. If you think certain practices of religion are stupid, then don't do them, keep your opinions to yourself, and for anyone who does practice religion, at least have the decency to them basic human respect and leave them alone.

I'm not preaching at you (heh), just talking in general but I think it's pointless to make fun of what other people do just because some people think it's stupid. Isn't this the same ideology that playground bullies use or used by people who discriminate against others?

"I don't understand it so it must be silly, stupid, dumb and inferior and I hate it because it exists"

Yes, there are idiot zealots who try to take advantage of religion to fuel agendas just like how politicians abuse politics and those kind of people should be dealt with but people shouldn't attack the belief system of other people when they actually take it seriously.

Jun 23, 2008
Ghengis John said:
No he's not. Because the strainer does not actually hold the same meaning to him. He's simply mocking those rights for no real reason than he took offense that they were given to somebody else in the first place.
So how do you measure the sincerity of one's devotion?

The FSM is an important figure to me, as it represents the light of reason that stands between the enemies of science (in this case, activist organizations of young earth creationists such as the Discovery Institute) and our school children. It is inappropriate for you to presume that another's devotion to a deity, even a popular one, is of greater worth than my devotion to rationality.

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
frizzlebyte said:
I think it is perfectly understandable to cast suspicion on some random dude who wants to wear a pasta strainer on their head, due to "religious beliefs," for their drivers license photo. I mean, I'd certainly think they might be a little off.
HEY NOW! You can't just go around insulting people's deep, heart felt religious beliefs! I'll have you know that not only am I a devout Pastafarian, but I also don a holy colander. And wear the garb of our noodly lord's most blessed of children, the pirates. I am in... full control of my mental faculties.

Uriel-238 said:
The FSM is an important figure to me, as it represents the light of reason that stands between the enemies of science (in this case, activist organizations of young earth creationists such as the Discovery Institute) and our school children. It is inappropriate for you to presume that another's devotion to a deity, even a popular one, is of greater worth than my devotion to rationality.
Preach it brother!

Condor219

Sep 14, 2010
This is beyond hilarious. Did anybody in the Austrian government actually believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster, or did they just find this hilarious enough to let him do it? Either way, it may be true that there is no "right" religion, but Pastafarianism is definitely the best.

Ghengis John

Dec 16, 2007
Uriel-238 said:
So how do you measure the sincerity of one's devotion?
The FSM is an important figure to me, as it represents the light of reason that stands between the enemies of science (in this case, activist organizations of young earth creationists such as the Discovery Institute) and our school children.
Fine, for you perhaps. But by his own admission he's an atheist. So he clearly cannot profess this as his "religion" and be sincere. Any rational man should be able to appreciate such a logical paradox.

What's more I must add with no disrespect (because you've been perfectly reasonable with me) I sincerely doubt that for you the FSM is as important a figure as a religious person's God is to them. I don't think you go to weekly meetings to affirm your faith in the FSM or wear your pasta strainer 24/7. I don't think you'll get married according to strict FSM customs or hold off dying in your old age until you can see a certified Italian Chef. I don't think you'll insist on taking your baby to the olive garden so that they may ladle divine marinara upon it's brow. I don't know if you've ever done more to support rationality than make snooty faces at your computer screen, much less pay a tithe. I will say this however, if you actually do all of these things then bravo, sir. Excellent trolling. I want to be there at your child's marination.

Jun 23, 2008
BrotherRool said:
But this is just a bit mocking. Religions mean something to some people. There isn't a major religion that hasn't had believers ready to die for their faith.
There isn't a major religion that hasn't had believers ready to kill for their faith, either.

Is it more or less mocking then when creationists Oh, wait... [http://www.examiner.com/evolution-in-phoenix/show-me-the-transitional-fossils]

238U.[footnote]In the event that Escapist requires me to view a commercial before getting a code, I will simply not post. Depending on the frequency, this may temper or cease my future participation in the Escapist community. Apologies in advance, if this policy prevents me from replying to you when it is proper to do so.[/footnote]

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
HontooNoNeko said:
manaman said:
HontooNoNeko said:
frizzlebyte said:
Syntax Man said:

Actually you do have a point I didn't see any other way to get the point across at the moment and it came out a bit harsh. I apologize!

However with that said I find the term "fake religion" aggravating beyond words. What requirements does one have to achieve in order to be called a proper religion? The amount of time it existed, whoever came up with it, how many people follow it and how the thought of it affects someones life are all irrelevant when it comes to verifying whether it can be consider "real" or "fake". I want all religions to be treated equally regardless of their background. If someone thinks the pasta strainer is stupid and is not an anti-theist than why would someone who believes any other religious symbol looks stupid be called one?

I have nothing against religion and I want equality for all not just the ones that people think are "real".
You read to much into the word real. Real has nothing to do with the beliefs.

When I said real I simply meant that the religion was dreamed up never intended to be taken seriously. There is nothing wrong with questioning the sanity of a person that takes something intended solely as a joke as a real religion.

As for equality, well you can't really have that. Otherwise everyone in the US would have their own religion of themselves and be tax exempt.

Android2137

Feb 2, 2010
I hate Pastafarianism. It never fails to make me hungry... Though I do wish I got to do silly things like that for my own driver's license photo. Cosplaying, mostly. "Why yes, Officer, that is me dressed as a robot! Robots are not legally allowed to drive?! Good sir, they're piloting our spy planes! Surely, they should be allowed to drive!"

numbersix1979

Jun 14, 2010
Alright, alright. I'm just gonna come out and say it. The whole Pastafarianism thing is really getting old. It's a joke that made a legitimate and well-needed point in relation to worldwide culture's religious focuses, but what some people don't seem to realize is that mining that same joke over and over and over and over hurts the point you were trying to make in the first place.

Do I think that the whole idea serves as a worthwhile purpose as a discussion point? Yes.
Is it actually a religion? Absolutely not. More often than not, the people into it kinda just seem to be lashing out at organized religion as a whole, and kind of ignoring the subtext. It's become a whole lot of people wanting attention instead of a few people trying to make a valid point through satire.

Let me qualify my statements by saying that any and everyone's religious views have my respect. Whatever you want to do, you should be free to do it. But the FSM thing is getting stupid, and I'm just as free to say that as this guy is to put a strainer on his head in his photo.