Patent Hints At DVR Functionality For Next Xbox

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Patent Hints At DVR Functionality For Next Xbox

Microsoft wants to murder your cable box. Streaming video was the first step. Digital video recording is step number two.

On December 27, the United States Patent And Trademark Office issued patent #8,083,593 to Microsoft for a digital video recorder application that stores streamed video content for later viewing. No big deal, right? This kind of thing can be found in most cable boxes, and TiVO perfected the idea almost a decade ago. The big difference here though is that Microsoft's new patent applies specifically to home gaming consoles.

Have a look at the patent's description:

An integrated gaming and media experience is disclosed, including recording of content on a gaming console. A digital video recorder (DVR) application running alongside a television client component allows users to record media content on the gaming console. The DVR application also integrates itself with the console menu. Once integrated, users can record media content while playing games. Alternatively, users can record content when the gaming console is turned off. The recorded content can include television programming, gaming experience (whether local or online), music, DVDs, and so on. When in the recording state, users can also switch between various other media modes, whether gaming, television, and so on.

That last bit is the important part; Microsoft wants to allow users to record video (whether it be streaming films or television) while still being able to use the machine to play videogames. Cool, right? Not if you're in the business of providing people with cable television. For years those providers raged against the concept of the DVR, as it allowed viewers to skip those crucial cash-generating commercials, though they eventually got over it by offering their own DVR machines. Microsoft, in turn, wants to one-up that scheme by offering both DVR functionality and streaming video content in a single machine that can also play Halo. I wonder how Comcast is going to feel about that.

Of course, this technology has been a long while in the making -- the original patent application dates from 2007 -- and will likely not appear any time soon. Thus the common assumption is that it won't be implemented until the next iteration of the Xbox.

And, as per usual, we have no real idea when that might be. Still, I suddenly find myself anticipating the thing far more than I was an hour ago, if only to see what kind of chaotic tantrum the traditional TV providers are going to kick up in response to Microsoft gradually absorbing their entire business model like the grotesque lovechild of Max Headroom and the Blob.

Source: Kotaku [http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=10&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=463%2F43&OS=463/43&RS=463/43]

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
The sheer magnitude of FPS montages to hit Youtube will be staggering and tragic D:

longboardfan

Jul 27, 2011
This would be slightly more awesome if I still watched tv. I might do Lets Plays, except that I don't need a MS dvr/xbox to do that already.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Fappy said:
The sheer magnitude of FPS montages to hit Youtube will be staggering and tragic D:
HAY GUIZE CHECK OUT MAI AWSUM 360 NOSCOPE!

That is a good point, but I am interested in how many lawsuits will result because of something X person did with their xbox with Y program.
And then there is the clusterfuck that SOPA will make of this if it goes through.

I also can't wait for the rage that results of microsoft's next xbox suddenly red ringing and it accidentally all your data.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
As far as I know this already exists. The Playstation 3 has the PlayTV add-on that includes a TV tuner so you can watch and record live TV from your conslole (and even stream it to your PSP). That didn't light the world on fire (though it didn't come out in the US as far as I know) even though I loved it, and made my PS3 the family's media hub.

That also means the Patent may be a bit questionable since there is already a product that does that thing.