Patent Shows Kinect Recognizing Sign Language

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
That could be a really, really intresting feature if it done right, and, offer a mode of communication for people who are deaf, which, is fantastic.

But, only if it works

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
TheSkaAssassin said:
The patent says that when "the user kills another user's character, that victorious,
though speechless, user would be able to tell the other user that he had been 'PWNED.'"
From the other end, will it be able to tell the "pwning player" that the "pwned player" has given him the middle finger or any other obscene gesture?
- Yeah, I won!!
Player B has flipped you off.
- Hey man, fuck you!
Player B says - The hell, I was picking my nose!

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
This could be really awesome if they end up doing anything with it. Though I would be more happy with more keyboard support. I can easily plug a keyboard into consoles these days, but few games support in game keyboard chat. At least I can send private messages with it though, keep a cheap keyboard on an extension cable for just that purpose.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Straying Bullet said:
Goody, is this supposed to restore faith in this add-on? I lost it when I saw the crappy shovelware // Horrible tech-demos // Response time not matching up.

But as a biased idiot I am, I am obliged to try it out but I can't nowhere in this damned place.
mabey they should just give you a portal cake if you pre order it, pre orders will raise from 0 to 10

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
That actually sounds (har har, stealth pun) really cool and it could be really awesome if they can pull it off. Hearing impaired/mute people won't be excluded on the hardware and it lets everyone enjoy the games on a level. Hope they do something with it.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
camera to camera phones already allow for sign. Now if they get kinect to translate it, that would be nice. good thinking.

bad rider

The prodigal son of a goat boy
Dec 23, 2007
Ultratwinkie said:
Littlee300 said:
Ultratwinkie said:
it wont be in kinect. its hard enough recognizing audible commands for a computer as it is and they want to add sign language? the idiots.
They are both really different. <.<
kinect cant tell the difference between fabric and a human limp, and audible commands rely on the sound and how it is said in TONE. the computer cant recognize words. if kinect is this limited what makes you think it can tell the difference between different commands in sign language?

MarsProbe said:
Ultratwinkie said:
it wont be in kinect. its hard enough recognizing audible commands for a computer as it is and they want to add sign language? the idiots.
And you know this, how? Seems a bit rash to suddenly dismiss this at a moments notice. Anyway, it appears to be quite a charitable thing to do, considering implementing sign language within Kinect. I certainly wouldn't call anyone an idiot because of it.
look above.
Do you have any proof that kinect won't be able to do this, or are you just going to use anecdotal evidence? You seem to be bieng a little bit rash in dismissing the concept.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Ultratwinkie said:
Big difference between processing audio and processing visuals, buddy.

--

I'd have been surprised if they DIDN'T add this kind of functionality. It'd be quicker to just tack on a virtual keyboard for most people but it seems a nice bonus for people who can do sign language.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Ultratwinkie said:
The built-in speech recognition in Windows 7 works surprisingly well, at least for navigation and commands. It's not quite there yet for full-on dictation, but I have little doubt that the voice commands in Kinect will work perfectly for most people. People with incredibly strong accents will always have some issues using a non-localized speech recognition system, but most of them are capable of learning at this point.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
wait a minute, as far as i've read before, kinect wasnt able to map individual fingers, so how the hell it will recognize ASL without mapping the individual fingers ?

Naheal

Sep 6, 2009
Considering there was a glove that was invented a few years back which had the capability of translating at least some sign language, I'd say that this is fairly plausable.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Ultratwinkie said:
Do you have any proof that kinect won't be able to do this, or are you just going to use anecdotal evidence? You seem to be bieng a little bit rash in dismissing the concept.
its microsoft. anything they have been doing since xp turned out to be a huge fail.[/quote]

In other words, no, you have no proof whatsoever that this won't work. It may be tough for you, but why not just try and sit tight and see if this actually works, before[/] jumping to such conclusions.

Even if you don't like Microsoft, why not have a little, ahem, faith for once.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
While it's really nice to see an attempt to make gaming accessible to those less fortunate among us, I sadly do not see much of a future for this project.

Putting the fact that the number of hearing-impaired gamers is probably limited and thus represent a very niché market aside, I do not think Kinetic is going to do very well even in the mainstream market itself. Microsoft is essentially trying to tap into a market that Nintendo has long since tapped out and the price doesn't provide much incentive to obtain it over the Wii. If consumers end up thinking that way and don't purchase Kinetic en masse, then the financial failure will force Microsoft to try and recover from that failure rather then try to maximise their profit by tapping into outlying markets.

It's a shame that this project is tied to a product that has a very uncertain future. Otherwise, it would have been an important step in making gaming more accessible.

Centrophy

Dec 24, 2009
The proof is that Kinect can't detect fingers, at least not yet, at least not in what they have shown to the public so far. If this comes it won't happen for at least a year or two.