Patent Troll Stirred a Hornet's Nest When It Sued Newegg

Reincarnatedwolfgod

Jan 17, 2011
Patent trolling is getting what they deserve is always worth celebrating. I wish Newegg good luck on this endeavor.

LordLundar said:
It looks like being a patent troll just isn't worth the effort anymore and I'm happy.
I'm pretty sure it work out well for the trolls when preying on smaller businesses. If one can't afford a the legal battle then they will be forced to settle and thus those scummy trolls make money.

This troll happened picked a fight with the wrong company.

Sep 14, 2009

^my reaction while reading this.

God this is awesome, burn those fuckers to the ground newegg.

Also kudo's to that Virginia patent troll unit, god bless them.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
What a fucking badass. Very rarely do you hear those kinds of one-liners in real life.

Also, I thought the whole point of Patent Trolls was to pick on tiny companies that would rather pay the comparatively smaller settlement cost than pay all of the legal fees and go through the big inconvenience of it all. Seems like a pretty spectacular fuck up.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Ah... it's nice to see Patent Trolls get their butts handed to them. I've never heard of Newegg before, but now I feel like I have to keep watching the news on this...

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
What a fucking badass. Very rarely do you hear those kinds of one-liners in real life.

Also, I thought the whole point of Patent Trolls was to pick on tiny companies that would rather pay the comparatively smaller settlement cost than pay all of the legal fees and go through the big inconvenience of it all. Seems like a pretty spectacular fuck up.
If patent trolls had two neurons to rub together, they wouldn't be patent trolls.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Positive proof that trolls are essentially self-defeating in nature.

9tailedflame

Oct 8, 2015
Ugh, just the term "patent company" leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I hope Newegg crushes these bastards so hard it bankrupts them (bankrupts the patent company, not newegg of course)!

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Good. Skull fuck those parasites into the ground, newegg. Next time I buy a computer, I know where I'm going. Like I wasn't going to already.

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
"Minero's case does not have merit, and its patent is not only expired but would suck even if it wasn't expired. Now that they have started the litigation, it would be irresponsible for Newegg to not finish it."
Newegg's going to finish what Minero started, and Minero can suck a newegg.

Don't tell me I was the first one to get reminded about the sucking eggs thing? Or the Happy happy Joy joy song? ... ...

Kahani

May 25, 2011
PatrickJS said:
That, for those who don't know, is what maybe makes Minero a "patent troll." That usually refers to a company that does nothing but own and enforce "weak" copyrights for profit
No, a patent troll, oddly enough, deals with patents. Copyright is an entirely different thing, and due to its nature is essentially impossible to troll in any way (other than Disney constantly bribing people "lobbying" to get it extended so Mickey Mouse never becomes public domain). There is no such thing as weak copyright.

truckspond

Oct 26, 2013
Newegg, I would like to give your a friendly word of advice.

Kick that little twerp's ass!

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
Siesta45 said:
The hell is a "patent troll" can you speak English?

Oh sorry.

~Gaming Journalism~
Patent Troll: Noun - A person or group responsible for attempting to claim and/or sue for patents against another person or group specifically to gain settlement money.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
LordLundar said:
It looks like being a patent troll just isn't worth the effort anymore and I'm happy.
Sadly the cases you mention are exception rather than the rule. There was over 400 patent troll cases last year, most of which are considered as "Settled out of court". What that means noone is allowed to know, but most likely scenario is "we give you couple thousands to stop wasting out time".

Kahani said:
Copyright is an entirely different thing, and due to its nature is essentially impossible to troll in any way
Sure it is. Its called making false DMCA claims. since DMCA or any other law provide absolutely no penalties for filing false claim, even to a product you dont own, plenty of people has taken upon themselves to "clean the internet" of wrongthink, such as DMCAing atheist youtube channels to the ground. With no reprecutions. Though i hear youtube is a bit better about it now. google isnt though. even review sites get taken down because they didnt like the movie, and then have to fight with google lawyers for months to even find out what made them blacklisted. DMCA is the worst thing that has ever happened to copyright and everyone suffers from it. except the trolls, of course.

Teh_Moose

Jan 13, 2014
joshuaayt said:
"Now that they have started the litigation, it would be irresponsible for Newegg to not finish it"

So cool...! I'd watch an anime that was just corporate legal battles and cool one liners.
Would that be a Phoenix Wright spinoff?

FalloutJack

Nov 20, 2008
sheppie said:
FalloutJack said:
Positive proof that trolls are essentially self-defeating in nature.
Sadly this is untrue. In the US you can basically destroy anyone who hasn't got millions to fight back, using bogus lawsuits.

The US legal system is completely broken and urgently needs to reform its civil law to combat 'claim culture'. In most other countries courts would refuse to take the case, hold the troll in contempt or they'd lose by default.
Ah, but you see trolling is the act of a stupid person as well as an annoying one. It's low-grade thinking, ergo it's likely to make the wrong move, thusly.