PAX East 2011: Activision Doesn't Run Internal Studios With Iron Fist

Jumwa

Jun 21, 2010
Sylocat said:
It's especially strange since The Escapist doesn't ordinarily just regurgitate blatant PR statements as gospel... is this a Jeff Gerstmann/Gamespot thing?
To be quite frank and honest, I see many sorts of thoughtlessly posted PR documents from Tom Goldman here.

saxybeast418

Dec 4, 2008
Jumwa said:
Sylocat said:
It's especially strange since The Escapist doesn't ordinarily just regurgitate blatant PR statements as gospel... is this a Jeff Gerstmann/Gamespot thing?
To be quite frank and honest, I see many sorts of thoughtlessly posted PR documents from Tom Goldman here.
To be fair, this is PR masquerading as a panel. Combine that with the fact that rage against Activision and Bobby Kotick is alive and kicking, and you've got yourself a click-worthy story.

It might stem from the fact that many readers and even some writers and editors do not understand *why* the community hates Activision. Let me tell you, it isn't the botched PR. Sure, that might piss a few people off, but not to this level. Indeed, the statements are systematic of a bigger problem with the company.

Activision is in the business of selling things; the give people money to make things that will sell well. If you switched video games with some other product, the business model would be identical.

Notice that all of their business strategies are purely reactionary. They see a bunch of people buying something (like music games, or war shooters), and they put all of their money into churning out as much of that as people will buy. In the short term, this has worked wonderfully. In the long term? Who knows, but the death of Guitar Hero strikes me as an omen.

I think the anger comes in when we realize that we are simply cogs in a machine, rather than a party in a business deal. Activision funds, developers churn, Activision releases, we pay, repeat. No room for innovation, creativity or improvement, unless someone else starts selling more stuff. Then they copy that. They don't care that their products are shoddy, or that they piss off the gaming community. As long as the rest of the world continues giving them so much money, Activision will sit there, bloated, acting as a dead weight on the entire industry.

(LK)

Mar 4, 2010
It's not really surprising that people who wish to continue working with Activision paint a very positive picture of the company when speaking about them in public.

It's likely to be more or less honest, but we'd never know if it wasn't, and it's quite likely exaggerated.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Sorry Activision, but your actions speak much louder than your words.
I still refuse to do business with them.

Hachura

Nov 28, 2007
I wonder what kind of bonuses those guys got to lie in order to make Activi$ion look good.

Bobby Kotick is a disease and I am the cure. *Cocks gun*

bizzkid28

Apr 1, 2011
These haters of Kotick are kids with no sense of economics and grow kids living in their parents garage. How many of you freaks actually met him? Hate the president or something, not a video game ceo, you weirdos. Check out the latest. http://www.mcvuk.com/news/43698/Morhaime-sicks-up-for-Kotick