Payday 2 Will Randomly Complicate Your Heist

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Payday 2 Will Randomly Complicate Your Heist

Overkill Software's Payday 2 will cover the complete heist experience, including everything from careful planning to watching it all fall apart.

While the original Payday was a fun tribute to popular heist movies, it wasn't able to cover everything. Most missions consisted of little more than hour-long shootouts with police, which technically is just one part of the heist experience. What about carefully scoping out the location, crafting an infallible plan, and then watching it all fall apart when your partner gets a twitchy trigger finger? These are the kinds of features Overkill Software will include in Payday 2 with its randomized phase system. While run-and-gun shootouts are still valid, players can use a planning phase to buy mission-specific resources, or attempt a stealthy entry before the alarm is raised. But even if you think you've prepared for every eventuality, Payday 2 adds randomly selected scenarios that complicate your clean escape, like FBI ambushes or surprise betrayals from trusted allies.

"The problem with Payday 1 is we had these monolithic hour-long missions that nobody wanted to play," game director David Goldfarb explained. "Now we have the flexibility to cover the spectrum of all missions," making it easier to "play for 10 minutes and feel awesome".

Each job in Payday 2 will be broken down into randomized phases that make each playthrough a little different. The planning phase lets players use earnings from previous heists to buy strategic modifications to the level. For example, you could purchase access to local camera feeds, unlock an alternative entrance, or even hire a sniper to provide covering fire. Once you've finished planning, the mission shifts to its action-oriented phases where you must reach an objective, take the loot, and get out. Players can attempt to sneak past guards and cameras, or pull a Mr. Blonde and shoot everything they see. Of course, the randomly chosen scenarios could make this decision for you, but all told it should allow for a more organic experience.

We'll have to wait and see if Payday 2 plays as advertised, but at the moment it sounds very promising. The best sequels are those that expand gameplay to the next logical step, and on that front Overkill seems to be moving in the right direction. Payday 2 will launch for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 platforms on August 13, 2013.

Source: Joystiq

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Was a fan of the first one, and have the new one pre-ordered to get the sick skull masks. I'm glad they are adding more variety and customization, hopefully it get's executed well and not too evil.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Another day, another RNG ruining the player's day.

Sounds like a fun game to play.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
"The problem with Payday 1 is we had these monolithic hour-long missions that nobody wanted to play," game director David Goldfarb explained.

The problem wasn't the missions. The problem was that you had the boring infinite enemy spawn issue. There were missions where you would get pinned down and then run out of ammo as the cops never ended. The steady stream of cops were not bad in areas where you had to keep moving, but the ones where you had to stay in one location for quite a while got boring.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Random events to screw up your carefully executed run... I'm not sure at what point that sounded like a good idea.
And the only real issue that needs fixing is the combat setup, once things get under way you are simply expected to hold down one choke point while infinite armies run head on towards you... I've seen better scenarios in really lazy zombie games.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Mr.K. said:
Random events to screw up your carefully executed run... I'm not sure at what point that sounded like a good idea.
Considering that the first game roughly had the same idea, particular the mission 'Diamond Heist', where you can successfully stealth the whole thing and at the end get told 'MEEEEP! Codes no work. Fight cops now!', making your plan you had pointless.
And followed by that, the game tells you 'Get that guy for codes' by a random chance, which players might expect to happen or not. And even THEN, you still have a chance of that guy not having the codes so you have to pick up ANOTHER guy...

And is that fun? Hell yes, it is! And if the sequel is more of that, I'm all for it.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Bindal said:
Mr.K. said:
Considering that the first game roughly had the same idea, particular the mission 'Diamond Heist', where you can successfully stealth the whole thing and at the end get told 'MEEEEP! Codes no work. Fight cops now!', making your plan you had pointless.
And followed by that, the game tells you 'Get that guy for codes' by a random chance, which players might expect to happen or not. And even THEN, you still have a chance of that guy not having the codes so you have to pick up ANOTHER guy...

And is that fun? Hell yes, it is! And if the sequel is more of that, I'm all for it.
See that's the part that I'd like to see tweaked somewhat. Nothing major, but I'd like there to be a way, if your team is good enough and you prep well enough, that you're always one step ahead of the cops and can get away before they're truly onto you.

I know it's primarily a shooter, and there should be a myriad of ways to finish the mission. But if there's not a way to actually stealth through the entire mission, even if it's nearly impossible and based on a lot of luck, it should be something feasible... something to strive for if you're into that kind of thing. In the original stealthing through just saved you having a few shootouts, but there was never a way to succeed without screwing up in some way.

Truth Cake

Aug 27, 2010
FoolKiller said:
"The problem with Payday 1 is we had these monolithic hour-long missions that nobody wanted to play," game director David Goldfarb explained.

The problem wasn't the missions. The problem was that you had the boring infinite enemy spawn issue. There were missions where you would get pinned down and then run out of ammo as the cops never ended. The steady stream of cops were not bad in areas where you had to keep moving, but the ones where you had to stay in one location for quite a while got boring.
Which is to say, pretty much all of them except Heat Street.

It really made you wonder how this city could POSSIBLY justify having such a bloated police force, and then you'd think 'oh yeah, because we exist."

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Quiotu said:
But if there's not a way to actually stealth through the entire mission
Guess what? That was possible in Payday 1 "Diamond Heist". Granted, not 100% stealth (once you broke the case of the diamond cases, there was alarm. But at that point, you only needed about one more minute to escape, anyway.

Same for Payday 2 - there will be missions, you can fully stealth and be done without anyone noticing (or at least without any alarm triggered). There will be missions without any kind of stealth because it starts with the action right away. But a good bunch of those 17 missions allow you to stealth fully or partially.
And yes, people in the currently very limited Beta did manage to fully stealth the Bank Heist already with TWO guys:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gk8OWX85PXA

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
Have not heard of this franchise before, but it sounds like something I need to play - regardless of how good it is, I absolutely love the idea of a heist game.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
Oooooh Payday on the Escapist! Nice nice! I'm a HUGE fan of Payday and their developers, and I keep checking the forums every day to see if the Beta for Payday 2 has been released. The first game was fantastic, the second game looks extremely addicting, even more than the first one, and I filled 200 hours on the first game.

Hell, I like the idea of the entire heist screwing up. Failing a heist in Payday is something that every Payday player is used to, especially in higher difficulties. We just get in and try again, it's very fun, even more so with friends and people you know.

I definitely recommend this, and the first game, to anyone who likes co-op or shooters, or anything in that mix. It's fantastic.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
I never picked up the first game because while the premise sounded fun the gameplay looked like a pretty straightforward co-op shooter. If this is going for a more organic experience with tension building before the shooting starts, well then I'm interested.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
Mr.K. said:
Personally, I'm a fan of the RNG, even if it plays against me.

Sometimes you just have bad luck, and in single player games like this, I do always like that one rogue element that can show up and screw up everything, causing you to switch up your plan. It's annoying, but also a bit challenging and keeps you on your toes.

mixadj

Oct 23, 2010
.....Weird I read this article after the BF3 easter egg regarding this games designer....

Bindal

May 14, 2012
ThunderCavalier said:
Mr.K. said:
Personally, I'm a fan of the RNG, even if it plays against me.

Sometimes you just have bad luck, and in single player games like this, I do always like that one rogue element that can show up and screw up everything, causing you to switch up your plan. It's annoying, but also a bit challenging and keeps you on your toes.
Except this isn't a single player game, it's 4-player-coop.