Paypal = Background Check?

Frozengale

Sep 9, 2009
So I am trying to find a job and I recently find a listing on Craigslist. I sent in my resume and they emailed me back with some information, the position is to be a bankteller and they said that in order to get an interview I would have to go through a background check.

"Please note: To work as a bank teller, you cannot have any felonies. In order to not waste your time or ours, we require you to first complete a background check.

Once the background check has been completed, we will contact you to schedule an interview on a first-completed, first-served basis. Please reply and tell us if you are still interested in the job. The background check will be done online through paypal. It costs $10, which will be refunded at the interview (if you don't have any felony). Thank you for your time. Feel free to e-mail with any questions."

As you can see it says that the background check is done through paypal, after responding with times I would be available for an interview I received another e-mail several hours later with an attached invoice for Paypal.

I'm just confused how they can use Paypal for background checks. Is it just because the invoice will have my name and address and they can use that, and is verified by the fact that it's my credit card? Or is this something sinister and am I being duped by someone on Craigslist?

Motiv_

Jun 2, 2009
It sounds really suspicious, but I wouldn't write them off just yet. Do some research of your own, try googling the company's name, as well as any other information you were given.

By the way, you may have just misread them, as many authentic background checking websites allow paypal as a form of payment. You could always email them back asking for clarification?

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
What country is this?

In Sweden, background checks are always paid for by the company requesting them and you have to fill in a form granting consent to perform it.
In addition to that, PayPal is a payment service, meaning that they have no business whatsoever with your criminal history. Potentially credit rating... but they don't handle that, do they?

So, this absolutely reeks of a scam.

I personally ask myself whether or not a bank would list a job like that on Craigslist, but I can't claim to be well-versed in that site.

From where I stand, though, I can tell you with 99% certainty that this is a scam and that shenanigans are afoot. [sub](I love saying that)[/sub]

Ziadaine_v1legacy

Flamboyant Homosexual
Apr 11, 2009
Don't do it. Its up to the EMPLOYER to do that part, and if they're asking you to pay, without seeing you in person, it's a scam. Also on that note, I'd request their Business Name and report it to the authorities because scammers like this are destroying the business economy.

requisitename

Dec 29, 2011
Add me to the "probably a scam" camp. I've had many background checks done and I've never, ever had to pay for one myself. That and drug testing are up to the company to pay for if they want it done. Also, even if it were up to you to pay for it, a quick Google search says that paypal doesn't do them. :-/ There are several websites that accept paypal for background checks, but they're completely separate entities.

peometer

Jan 23, 2012
It is very important to know that all the rules and regulations are for the people security [http://backgroundfinder.com] so every person has to face that kind of things gently.