PayPal Freezes $750K in MineCraft Dev's Account

SurfKansas

Nov 25, 2008
Suspicious activity = we can freeze this account for a couple of months, grab a crap load of interest off investing the money, then give him his cash (minus the interest) after we have "reviewed his case"

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
This is not how you make a good case for yourself in the business, guys. First screwing up a donation drive and then denying a guy his hard-earned money - not good.

At all.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
There seriously needs to be an alternative to paypal. Its just fucking weird how you can't really do business on the internet without it, but theres nothing comparable.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
I don't touch pay pal with so much as even looking at the logo it's WAY dodgy to use and very hit and miss what you can do with it alot of the time. They need to fix all these problems with it because I've heard horror stories attached to this companys name.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
So can anyone explain to me how Paypal's business practice isn't illegal in some form. I'm still scratching my head from having to deal wth them.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
That guy's getting his money back one way or another, he's an amazing developer and there's no reason he shouldn't get it back. Paypal are fucks for freezing his account in the first place.

halfeclipse

Nov 8, 2008
If he gets it back anytime soon its because hes got enough funds to hire a bunch of lawyers and take them to the cleaners.

oshin

Apr 25, 2008
If they see something suspicious then they have to act, there dealing with millions of dollars and they are a no doubt a target for alot of hackers, so really, there right to be cautious.

Phoenixlight

Aug 24, 2008
FloodOne said:
What a joke. There needs to be some sort of business edition of paypal. Hopefully the government steps in and gives the money to it's rightful owner.
I agree I would furious if I was making that sort of money then all of a sudden my account was frozen.

Feb 13, 2008
Lightslei said:
So can anyone explain to me how Paypal's business practice isn't illegal in some form. I'm still scratching my head from having to deal wth them.
AFAICT, & IANAL, but it's pretty standard practice for most monetary institutions. Since Chip/Pin came in, banks (and similar) regularly monitor transactions in case your card/account is being used fraudulently or being used to launder money.

At any time you go past certain spending/donating limits, it will freeze you out so their accountants can do a detailed scan.

We've had people froze out over Christmas, Weddings, Summer Holidays by banks I'm not at liberty to mention - but the advantage of them is you can walk into the nearest place and prove your ID.

With online banking though...

Saying that, I've never had troubles with Paypal/Steam or any other micro-transactions apart from SOE, who ignored my cancellation of MMO fees because my browser crashed. They didn't inform me until months afterwards.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Paypal has a very arbitrary and vague set of rules it can be a hassle to deal with it when they want to mess with you....

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
FloodOne said:
What a joke. There needs to be some sort of business edition of paypal. Hopefully the government steps in and gives the money to it's rightful owner.
Namely itself. Call me a commie, but this capitalism is just crap sometimes.
Although under communism you would be relatively broke, I find it more frustrating to have money and not be able to access it.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
rembrandtqeinstein said:
Publishers take note: games like this prove we don't needmartin sheen's voice to make a good game.
I will hunt you to the deepest corners of hell and make you apologize for that statement.

OT: Minecraft is the best game of this generation. GIVE THE MAN HIS MONEY BACK!

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Altorin said:
why in all holy hell would you keep 750,000 dollars in your paypal.
He didn't, read more closely.
Andy Chalk said:
PayPal Freezes $750K in MineCraft Dev's Account

In response to people suggesting that it's somehow his own fault for letting all that money build up in a PayPal account, Persson noted that he actually clears out his account every week. "They limited my account just as sales started spiking, so this money has accumulated since they limited the account," he said.

Marsell

Nov 20, 2008
Minecraft is really good game. Tho... it does have some issues.
In the game, during nighttime (or while cave exploration) your likely to run into monsters that kill you. This isn't so much a problem as much as a augmentation to something much more aggravating. You see when you die, you drop all you items. (armor, equipment, resources, RARE ITEMS.) So if you want your stuff back, you have to walk all the way back to where you dies and pick them all back up, of course by the time you get there, it will be guaranteed to be the newest monster spawn point rave party. this couples with the fact that lava destroys all items will do nothing to slow computers being chucked out windows. Then when you get so frustrated to turn monsters off it gets really boring.