pc elitists

kommando367

Oct 9, 2008
Honestly, I never understood how someone can play a game with a keyboard near as intuitively as with a controller. Also, need I remind the PC gamers of the crappy games that exist becuase someone made a PC variant of a average-good game, something thats only more common with cellphone games.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I'm a PC gamer (not a PC elitist- it IS possible not to be one), and I can confidently say that PC gaming is definitely not dead. As is the case with different consoles, the PC has its own strengths and weaknesses as a gaming platform.

Strengths:
- Mods. I can't say this enough. What do you do when the vanilla version of a game gets boring, but you don't like multiplayer? Mod your game up. Moddability is absolutely crucial to my decision to buy a game (most of the time), and some of the games I own have no less than two or three dozen Mods downloaded for them. Plus Mods can tweak away poor game design or bug issues (like STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl and Oblivion).
- Input devices. There is still no finer tool for me, in FPS or RTS/TBS games, than a keyboard and mouse. Gamepads can be annoyingly imprecise, and you can only map so many functions to eight or ten buttons as opposed to a standard 101-key keyboard. Plus, for those games that play better with gamepads, there are dozens of different types to be had.
- Infinite upgradability. Expensive sometimes, sure, but there's few things so satisfying as locking in a brand-new video card, loading up your favorite game and watching what had been a slide show turn into a beautiful, smoothly-flowing panorama.

Weaknesses:
- Technical difficulties. While consoles may be somewhat limited in their applications, they are also a solid foundation for game coders- a known quantity upon which they can build their games. You will be hard-pressed to find any two gaming PCs which are identical or even vastly similar, and the consequence of all this complexity is a mishmash of drivers and technical limitations which can cause all sorts of problems.
- Cost. While you can theoretically build a decent gaming computer for around the price of a leading next-gen console, in order to future-proof yourself you're going to have to invest a bit more. A console is a one-and-done purchase (a handful of peripherals and add-ons aside); a computer is a complex and never-ending project.
- Time investment. At its least complex, buying a computer for gaming involves going to a superstore and getting a pre-made one, which leaves you with an operating system burdened by someone else's idea of "useful software" and requiring such things as firewalls, anti-malware programs and software updates to keep it running smooth and free of issues. The do-it-yourself route is usually cheaper but far more complex, with a small but very real chance of rendering your expensive equipment unusable through an innocent mistake. While I can assemble a computer within the space of an afternoon and have it ready for gaming by dinnertime, not everyone has my level of expertise or can put in that much time. For some it's simply not worth the effort.

The PC elitists will tell you that the PC is the only worthwhile gaming platform and that all consoles are nothing more than childrens' toys. They are full of crap and no more correct than the console fanboys screaming at each other. The PC is simply another valid avenue of entertainment, and I for one encourage further competition between it and the console world, as competition breeds improvement and therefore brings better efforts to all of us.

*sings "I'm a PC gamer and I feel fine...."*

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
ErGo said:
I have never considered myself as a elitist belonging into a master race, even though I'm a pc gamer ... maeby that because i use a hp compaq 6715s laptop to play and i cant afford anything better.
I have nothing against pc gamers i just hate the elitists that put consoles gamers down.

ThrobbingEgo

Nov 17, 2008
I'm not a PC-elitist. I love video games, period. Anyway, I bought a pretty damn expensive laptop that I probably won't be able to greatly upgrade, so I wanted to answer one question.

how are consoles which are replaced by new consoles every 5 or so years supposed to out gaming pcs which are replaced by better parts/machines 24/7?

My computer will always be about as powerful (if not more so) than an Xbox 360. It'll always play games that look as good as (if not better than) Xbox 360 games (here's looking at you, Bioshock). I don't need a computer that's slightly better than mine at this point in time (almost a year since purchase). The highest setting I can play a game at will always look that awesome. It just won't get any new tricks once significantly better hardware comes out.

Another thing is, if I do upgrade my computer, almost all my old software will work with it, right out of the box. That's a big plus. I can play Good Old Games on my computer: in some cases, games that came out before Windows.

Plus it's an open platform that's not locked down by Nintendo, Sony or even Microsoft. I can install any software on my computer I want. I could even rip my huge stack of GBA games and play them fullscreen with my Classic Controller as a joypad if I wanted to. The possibilities are endless - and not restricted by anyone's walled garden marketplace. I can get compatable software from wherever I want: Steam, retail, D2D, direct from the indie scene.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every gaming platform. PC gaming just has the advantages I want. If you prefer your console, that's super.

TZer0

Jan 22, 2008
Consoles cost more than PCs. Why? because console-games cost shitloads compared to PC-games.

RabbitDynamite

Dec 31, 2007
To anyone who's read this far into the thread: Turn back! It's not too late to save yourself! In case the aimless, ranty OP didn't tip you off, there is nothing this thread can lead to other than thin-skinned teenagers spewing the same hoary old "your platform sucks because...." cliches at each other. It will drain your vitality and faith in the human race to read such stupidity.

Personally, I'm a PC gamer more than a console gamer, but that's more through convenience than choice. Someone acting like this is an issue where "sides" are meaningful, and that they're sufficiently meaningful to throw shrill winging at the other "side" makes me want to bash my head against the wall.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
If we where to put all games on the PC and just let it be that way the PC would only have few problems.

1: Motion detection controllers such as Wii remote and Wii board. (Well wouldn't take long to fix this)
2: Motion Guns, like the old NES gun and so on. (This is kind of harder to fix I suppose)

That's about it. Otherwise we can play EVERY game out there with the gamepad we need. We can plug in most gamepads in the world if not all.

We will be able to max the game out to boost our Ego due to our powerfull PC.
Awesome mods could be introduced to the games.

PC does FPS and RTS better. Don't even bother to argue. Mouse+keyboard handle things quicker than a gamepad does. It's more accurate too. Why do you think most FPS games on console have less recoil and more spray friendly weapons? Most of the time they are made slower too.

RTS just work better with hotkeys.

We also don't rename patches/updates to DLC and charge for them. :p

Even if I like games that are on console I hate them for not putting it on the PC. Instead we will have to play them with a nerfed mouse+keyboard. I want more Japanese RPGS on the Pc >.> Consoles hogs them all.

The_Prophet

Sep 3, 2008
Oh God, not another one of these. You know what I think? I think you should go fuck yourself you twat. Everyone that has a console cries "BOOOOOOOOH, PC 3LITIS Prcks!"

Now in a less stupid way. I have a friends with consoles, they all forgot about the consoles because:
1. Controls
2. Graphics
3. If you are smart you can get an awesome gaming PC that can run for ooooooh 4 years for less than 400 euros
4. CHEAPER GAMES

EDIT: To those of you who don't understand why I am so frustrated. It is because EVERY FREAKING CONSOLE PLAYER cries about PC gaming.......... EVERYWHERE.

(Except for some)

PTSpyder

Aug 9, 2008
Keyboard fails on an epic level for most types of gameplay. RTS is clearly an exception to this rule. A example of bad keyboard controls would be "Overlord - Raising Hell" It was nearly unplayable on PC, even with fully adjustable controls, but it was OK on console. Its also an example of how a mouse can suck for controls also - it was much easier with the joystick then the mouse. That said, a mouse is generally better for FPS aiming and sim/RTS gaming. All other types of games, I would take a joystick any day.

Its also worth noting that many games actually look better on consoles then on PC, though nobody will agree with me on this a fact. When designing a console game, you need to design the software to work on only one tech spec. One type of processor, same video capabilities and memory. With PC gaming, you need to make it for a variety of units, all with different abilities. The end result is even with a dedicated gaming PC that is only a few months old, you end up playing that brand new game with reduced settings. This leads to increased pop-in, lowered frames per second, graphic glitches and jagged polygons.

elitecrewer

Apr 22, 2009
tenlong said:
pc elitists
....are the best people ever.

While console gamers rant about their identical, douchebag Gears of Wars etc, we're playing better games, with a better control scheme on a more powerful system to a higher level.

I was going to link that flowchart that says 'do you like gaming: Yes -> Buy a PC, No -> Buy a console', but it doesn't seem to be up anymore. And console gamers do bash PC gamers. I didn't mind consoles before, it's just that this generation has come up with literally nothing worth playing.

Halfbreed13

Apr 21, 2009
tenlong said:
Halfbreed13 said:
*Pats Tenlong* 'grats kid, you just started your very own flame war

PC elitists usually talk about how much the PC is better when confronted with 14 year old freshman who go "OMFG XBOX HALO!!11!!111one!!11!111"

i am not trying to start a flame war. i have just stated my OPINION.{MY OPINION] i like all games regardless of format. i have been on websites dicussing consoles in a console discussion. a pc elitist comes out of nowhere saying."consoles sucks you wasted your money. pc rule.] by the way i am 23. i am just using my freedom of speech.
You cannot base your opinion on an entire fanbase on one moron's actions >.>
If that was true, 95% of the world would be dead from stupid.

Also, opinionated forums=flame whether you like it or not it would seem.

tenlong

Apr 26, 2009
ThrobbingEgo said:
I'm not a PC-elitist. I love video games, period. Anyway, I bought a pretty damn expensive laptop that I probably won't be able to greatly upgrade, so I wanted to answer one question.

how are consoles which are replaced by new consoles every 5 or so years supposed to out gaming pcs which are replaced by better parts/machines 24/7?

My computer will always be about as powerful (if not more so) than an Xbox 360. It'll always play games that look as good as (if not better than) Xbox 360 games (here's looking at you, Bioshock). I don't need a computer that's slightly better than mine at this point in time (almost a year since purchase). The highest setting I can play a game at will always look that awesome. It just won't get any new tricks once significantly better hardware comes out.

Another thing is, if I do upgrade my computer, almost all my old software will work with it, right out of the box. That's a big plus. I can play Good Old Games on my computer: in some cases, games that came out before Windows.

Plus it's an open platform that's not locked down by Nintendo, Sony or even Microsoft. I can install any software on my computer I want. I could even rip my huge stack of GBA games and play them fullscreen with my Classic Controller as a joypad if I wanted to. The possibilities are endless - and not restricted by anyone's walled garden marketplace. I can get compatable software from wherever I want: Steam, retail, D2D, direct from the indie scene.

There are advantages and disadvantages to every gaming platform. PC gaming just has the advantages I want. If you prefer your console, that's super.

give this man a medal he got the point. you get what is best for you and don't bash anyone who chooses different than you.