Pc game help? please!

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
Well i like playing tf2 on the pc. My attacks seem to count more then they did on the xbox version. I dont know how to get the game to play better on this laptop. I have the graphics down i think to the lowest setting. but the game still chugs and will freeze when around a lot of enemies who are all firing.

any ideas on how to make the game play better.

P.s. I have very little to no knowlege of computers.

Handbag1992

Apr 20, 2009
As long as you don't have any other programs running at the same time, there's nothing more you can do for your laptop. You would have to upgrade or buy a desktop.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
SirBryghtside said:
crimsonshrouds said:
Well i like playing tf2 on the pc. My attacks seem to count more then they did on the xbox version. I dont know how to get the game to play better on this laptop. I have the graphics down i think to the lowest setting. but the game still chugs and will freeze when around a lot of enemies who are all firing.

I dont know how to get the game to play better on this laptop.
on this laptop.
All seriousness, your laptop is a laptop that wasn't made for gaming. It sucks. Hell, Half-Life 1 lags on the one I'm using right now.

Your only options are to get a new computer or give up.
Well dang... Oh well thanks for telling this idiot...

oplinger

Sep 2, 2010
..if you're on windows 7 you can disable desktop composition and visual themes in the compatability tab in the exe's properties. It won't make a -huge- difference ...but eh.

Other than that, you'll need new hardware.

commiedic

Sep 2, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
crimsonshrouds said:
All seriousness, your laptop is a laptop that wasn't made for gaming. It sucks. Hell, Half-Life 1 lags on the one I'm using right now.

Your only options are to get a new computer or give up.
Almost true. There is really nothing you can do to improve on laptops with the exception of upgrading memory. Memory can play a huge role sometimes in improving performance. How much do you have now? If 2g's or less try upgrading to 4g's of ram. You should be able to find laptop ram at any best buy.

If this doesn't help or you have 4g's or more of ram already then there is really no hope. All I can suggest for you is to close all unnecessary background programs. Then go into control panel and change your appearance of everything to the old windows 95 look. Possibly lowering the resolution of the game with lowest settings if you haven't done that.

Stall

Apr 16, 2011
crimsonshrouds said:
Well, there's your problem! Laptops aren't for gaming. Even so called "gaming laptops" are total rip-offs. I'd get a proper tower, or stick with playing TF2 on your X-Box. It's not as hard as it sounds to build a computer, but if you are afraid, there are tons of sites out there that will assemble a computer for you, and only change slightly more than market value for the parts.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:

Don't listen to people who say you have no options. Grab an FPSconfig.
http://nixshadow.com/Games/TF2/
That one in particular sacrifices everything in exchange for framerate. Some keep the game looking nicer, though, if you google around for them. It'll probably help quite a bit, if you want to try it out.
Here's an explanation on how to apply them: http://www.gamebanana.com/tuts/6659

thatstheguy

Dec 27, 2008
crimsonshrouds said:

Here are two great things to try that I use when I don't feel like being constrained to my desktop.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7333627/autoexec.cfg

put this file here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\(place your steam login name with no capital letters here)\team fortress 2\tf\cfg

and this low polygon models pack:

http://www.gamebanana.com/skins/download/78349

unzip the folder and look into it. You should see two folders named "models" and "materials". Put the folders here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\(place your steam login name with no capital letters here)\team fortress 2\tf

There are other cfgs and what not to disable particle and explosion effects, though those aren't as important. Look them up if you think they'll help and PM me if you want more help.

TheYellowCellPhone said:
Big problem.

Let me think of a possible solution now --

Okay, right-click on TF2 in your Steam library, choose Properties, General tab, Set Launch Options, and then put -novid and -dxlevel 80 (or -dxlevel 70). This will make TF2 run on DirectX 8, which hopefully will lower lag.
Do this to. Forgot to mention it (Don't use -dxlevel 70. It doesn't work. Just use -dxlevel 80).

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
crimsonshrouds said:
this laptop
Big problem.

Let me think of a possible solution now --

Okay, right-click on TF2 in your Steam library, choose Properties, General tab, Set Launch Options, and then put -novid and -dxlevel 80 (or -dxlevel 70). This will make TF2 run on DirectX 8, which hopefully will lower lag.

SquirrelPants

Dec 22, 2008
Other people know how FPS stuff works way better than I do, so take their advice over mine! It's the same stuff overall though as far as I can tell.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Stall said:
crimsonshrouds said:
Well, there's your problem! Laptops aren't for gaming. Even so called "gaming laptops" are total rip-offs. I'd get a proper tower, or stick with playing TF2 on your X-Box. It's not as hard as it sounds to build a computer, but if you are afraid, there are tons of sites out there that will assemble a computer for you, and only change slightly more than market value for the parts.
I just upgrade the crap out of my laptop. It used to be a dell inspiron 1440 (the worst laptop in the history of man and whoever thought it would be a good idea to make it should get murdered)and it plays all the games I've wanted it to play except some console ports.

But you should get some experience before doing this because it involves a bit of soldering.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Ignore the people saying Laptops are bad for gaming. Laptops are great for gaming provided you're ok with spending a pretty penny extra for that mobility.

As for your exact situation, if it's running poorly on default settings while playing a source game I would suspect it might still be too much for your computer.