pc gamer headset

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
since i had to move, i dont have any space for my big 5.1 speaker system. i do have some good stereo speakers but of course its not the same to hear the sound coming out from the front wile playing games like BF and many more.

i do have a sound card from creative and i was thinking of getting a wireless headset, but i found out from google that it obviously causes problems.
the reason why i would like to have a wireless headset is, if me and my wife talk to someone on skype or want to watch something on youtube, then a headset is obviously not so suitable. otherwise, i always have to go under the desk to reconnect the speakers and vise versa and this doenst sound like fun either.
so if someone can help me with this problem, that would be appreciated.

so what headset has a very good sound, that gives you the feeling of 5.1 surround sound, feels comfortable wearing it for many hours and doesnt cost a fortune.
oh, and it doesnt need a mic. i never need it for gaming and my webcam has one already which is good enough for skype.

thanks for the answers.

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
I use a Cyber acoustics AC-404 headset with microphone

For me its comfortable, reliable, has good input/output sound quality, has an adjustable volume/mute control on the cord, and you can pick one up in about any retail store for around $30 although its cheaper to get it from their online store. The only thing its usually not so good at is if you want a set of headphones that mimic directional sound. However it does require a USB port but changing from these to speakers (which I assume are already plugged in) is as simple as changing your output sound options in the control panel

Oh and I should also mention that the previous headset I had to these was just the same thing except it plugged into the soundcard and those lasted 6 or 7 years before I finally had to replace them (the argument could be made that they would have lasted longer but my fiancé sucked them up into the vacuum cleaner which damaged the volume control piece on the cord).

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
G930s are great. Wireless, good battery life (around 10 hours), 7.1 surround. They're at least $100 but if you're looking for wireless and surround they don't come any cheaper.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
ok, thanks you 2.

so you are telling me that even with a soundcard, i dont have to worry that it will have any problems when i plug in a wireless headset.
and yes, i can change the settings on my computer that is far more comfortable then then going under the desk. but thats only for wireless once, right?
for cable i have to plug it in to the soundcard, which means i have to unplug my speakers.
sorry to sound like an idiot now. never done this before and just want to be sure.

WongKy

Nov 7, 2012
With the G930 you will only need to install the driver and plug in the charger/transmitter ,and it'll work.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
so you are telling me that even with a soundcard, i dont have to worry that it will have any problems when i plug in a wireless headset.
and yes, i can change the settings on my computer that is far more comfortable then then going under the desk. but thats only for wireless once, right?
Yes, however that is also true of wired ones with their own built in USB sound processor and may even be possible with a regular pair of headphones if you have multiple audio outputs on your existing sound card.

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
Well, if you're willing to invest in a sound card, get the Asus Xonar Phoebus. This has the option of allowing you to plug in both your speakers and your headset at the same time, and then in the sound card control panel switch between them, no need to mess with the wires.
Just thought I'd throw that out there.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
I don't have any suggestions for headsets you should get, but I will give you one piece of advice I've learned by buying a couple of headsets over the years. Do not sacrifice comfort. I've had multiple times where I've ended up buying a headset where reviews said that it was great, but not terribly comfortable, and every single time I've regretted it. You're probably going to be wearing this for potentially hours at a time, make sure you get one that's not going to start hurting after a while.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
Metalrocks said:
Yes, however that is also true of wired ones with their own built in USB sound processor and may even be possible with a regular pair of headphones if you have multiple audio outputs on your existing sound card.
well, there are several plugs at the soundcard which i had to use for my 5.1 speaker system. black, green, pink and white i think. the green one is used for the speakers. do you mean them?

so the G930 would be suitable for my requirements, since it has been mentioned twice now. did look it up and so far i read only good things about it. just that its pricy. which is fine as long it really sounds good and gives me the feeling of a 5.1 sound.

@ohnoitsabear
i know what you mean. that is also one of my requirements that it should be comfortable. i did had some normal headsets but after a wile it really started ti hurt my head and ears.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
well, there are several plugs at the soundcard which i had to use for my 5.1 speaker system. black, green, pink and white i think. the green one is used for the speakers. do you mean them?
Possibly. Standard onboard audio is usually separated into front and back inputs and outputs that can be registered as different devices however if you're using a sound card I'm not sure how that would be handled. You may be able to switch between the outputs however in that case there would be no way to get surround sound if you were outputting to multiple devices and since you've specified you want that it's probably not the best solution.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
Possibly. Standard onboard audio is usually separated into front and back inputs and outputs that can be registered as different devices however if you're using a sound card I'm not sure how that would be handled. You may be able to switch between the outputs however in that case there would be no way to get surround sound if you were outputting to multiple devices and since you've specified you want that it's probably not the best solution.
damn. so i need one then with a cable that is connected to my sound card.

just a did a little googling and even on the official logitech forum people said that the sound card is useless with the g930. because the sound runs from the software provided from the headset.
but if the g930 works separate and has no connection what so ever with the sound card (at least i havent found any topics yet on google that it does cause problems), then i should be able to switch comfortably on my pc between my sound card and to my headset.

correct me if i am wrong. otherwise tell me what cable headsets i get that suit my requirements (must support 5.1). at least over the options from my sound card i can switch to headset.

update:
did some research and found 2 that have cable to the sound card. the
psyko carbon 5.1
ear force Z6A

about the psyko i have read that the surround is not the best but is still a very good headset for gaming. can someone confirm that?

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
but if the g930 works separate and has no connection what so ever with the sound card (at least i havent found any topics yet on google that it does cause problems), then i should be able to switch comfortably on my pc between my sound card and to my headset.
Yep. That's how I do it and it's a pretty good solution.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
xXSnowyXx said:
Yep. That's how I do it and it's a pretty good solution.
so you have a sound card and have a wireless headset as well and you have no problems what so ever?
if so, then i still can consider getting a wireless one. because today i looked in a shop and they dont have many headsets with cable to the sound card and if they do, its just a stereo headset.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I got the Tactic 3D Rage wired headset. Has it's own 'soundcard' built in. The mic is detachable. And with the downloadable program for it you can set the level of surround you want. From mono all the way to 7.1. You can also change the amount of bass and the amount of 'crystalizer' effect. Of course it has it's own equalizer. And you can save profiles for if you like different sound settings for different games. The sound is very good for it's price. It's a bit on the heavy side, imo. But I can wear it for 3~4 hours without problem. I also kinda like the leds in the ear pieces that can change colour and pulse and such. Useless, but a flashy and fun little gimmick. The volume button on the left earpiece takes a bit of getting used to, but it's an easy way to change volume. It cost me 64 euro's.

SnowyGamester

Tech Head
Oct 18, 2009
Metalrocks said:
so you have a sound card and have a wireless headset as well and you have no problems what so ever?
I only use onboard audio for my speakers but the principle is the same, yes.

Metalrocks

Jan 15, 2009
@sanquin
thanks for the details. sounds good from what i was able to find on google.

@snowy
i see. so looks like i can relax and get a wireless or a USB headset. was just really worried that it will have problems with my sound card since some said it can cause problems.

still open for more suggestions. :)

h4xor555

Aug 25, 2010
Gaming headset is a BS term. It is an advertising term that means nothing, headsets themselves are bad and cheaply made, only appeal is the brand name and the looks.

I have Sehinessir HD 429's, exculsively for gaming. Best "gaming" headphones I have ever used in my life. And I've used 3 offical gaming headphones before them, and the 429's beat them all. Best thing is that they are not targeted or designed to be gaming headphones, they are just deisnged to be really good headphones.