Pc Games market dead?

Lametta

Sep 9, 2007
Did anyone else notice the lack of good upcomming releases for pc this year?
There will be some titles like: MassEffect(xbox port), Alone in The Dark (multiplatform), Farcry2....

But my point is in total there are really really few titles which the pc gamer has to look forward for >.<

What do you ppl think?
Can you list other games besides the 100000x sequel to fifa/nhl/nfs/battlefield (ea lol ;) )

Cranius

Mar 21, 2008
While they haven't given a release date yet, may be sometime early next year or late this year, Starcraft 2 from Blizzard is a game I have been looking forward to, perhaps it will prove to be the defibrillator of the industry, bringing back the fading giant to it's former glory, or a final gasp of fresh air before sinking into decadence and decay, either one, only time will tell.

Mr.E

Mar 21, 2008
Your right that there isn't any set date for actually decent pc games coming out. but there are games that they are trying to make. Most of which are sequals, so things like half life episode 3 and another portal. I am however forced to agree that theres nothing great in the near future.

Yaotl

Mar 16, 2008
Most things are rather multi-console nowadays, or are Xbox titles and then become PC titles to milk some more moolah from the franchise. I think we will mostly have Spore and Valve games to look forward to, most other games are Xbox/PS3 titles, mostly FPS games which is quite strange, FPS was nver meant for consoles and console controls are just suicide on FPS gameplay, you just can't get into it to the same degree as you can with a mouse, but I digress.

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
Don't forget Spore. Plus, there's Assassin's Creed, and Mirror's Edge.

Copter400

Sep 14, 2007
Yaotl said:
Most things are rather multi-console nowadays, or are Xbox titles and then become PC titles to milk some more moolah from the franchise. I think we will mostly have Spore and Valve games to look forward to, most other games are Xbox/PS3 titles, mostly FPS games which is quite strange, FPS was nver meant for consoles and console controls are just suicide on FPS gameplay, you just can't get into it to the same degree as you can with a mouse, but I digress.
However, every other genre works great on consoles, bar RTS and point-and-clicks. Also, you don't have to constantly vent hundreds of dollars on a console so that it can play the latest game.

Mr. Fryman

Mar 21, 2008
A.) You can't really say that it counts as a PC game if it's a port of a console game or a multi platform game in my opinion;
B.) You shouldn't really just wait for the titles that are announced by big fancy corporations that are responsible for big fancy titles, as, it's big fancy corporations that are responsible for most of the bad games that are out there (Thank you EA.);
C.) You have to look for the small games, that are below the radar, that are original, and aren't overpriced and have to be delivered to you by an 18 year old prick behind a game store counter or by a useless delivery service 2 weeks late. It's not about powerhouse games that make your computer cry out in pain, it's about games that are just fun and work for the user interface.

Psy-Phi

Mar 21, 2008
Every damn year someone comes out and says this...its getting retarded because ti only takes a few seconds to search a review site for upcoming titles...

Great list of released and upcoming titles announced for 2008: http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873451&postcount=1

'nuff said.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Psy-Phi said:
Every damn year someone comes out and says this...its getting retarded because ti only takes a few seconds to search a review site for upcoming titles...

Great list of released and upcoming titles announced for 2008: http://www.systemwars.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1873451&postcount=1

'nuff said.
A couple things about that list, i bet about 60% no one has heard of. And some of those games are multiplatform or just ports. And the equipment to operate those games at full capacity is extremly expensive.

Of course, even if you play a game of solitar (apparently) you're a PC gamer. Or something like that.

Psy-Phi

Mar 21, 2008
Well, now you've heard of them. The reason this thread was even started was because of being unaware/ignorant of titles like those in that list. No excuse now to say that PC gaming is dying with all of those games (most of which are exclusive; just because a game isn't exclusive though doesn't give a person a reason to ignore it. It just means you don't have to own something else to play it. I thought that was a good thing?).

And you're only a PC gamer if you play PC games purposefully, not just to kill time playing a casual game or two every 6 months.

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Well, again, if you even want your PC to be able to play some of those games on MINIMUM standards it would be expensive, moreso then some of the consoles.

I preffer to just buy a game and have no worrys of any upgrade of my console aside from a regular system update, and not work so hard just to play one game on my computer.

Psy-Phi

Mar 21, 2008
Jumplion said:
Well, again, if you even want your PC to be able to play some of those games on MINIMUM standards it would be expensive, moreso then some of the consoles.

I preffer to just buy a game and have no worrys of any upgrade of my console aside from a regular system update, and not work so hard just to play one game on my computer.
A majority of those games will run fine on 3 year old hardware.

You can build a machine to play Crysis at 1280x720 for 500 dollars so long as you have the monitor (use your HDTV if you want). Just have to shop around. And if you can build a Crysis playing machine, each of those games there will run smooth guaranteed (barring any technical issues).

Even so, it still doesn't change the fact that the games are coming. I don't get why you're arguing this point in a thread about PC games....

Anniko

Dec 6, 2007
@ SwiftVengeance1224: Can we please stop trotting out Crysis as the be-all-end-all game? Yes, it's hyped, yes, it's pretty, yes, it's incredibly badly coded... wait what?

Crysis is incredibly, horrendously badly coded. That's why it doesn't scale, that's why it chugs on even a tri-SLI rig.

Please take a look at iD for a company that can create an engine that scales. Quake 4 running on a Geforce 2 card. No, it won't be the prettiest but it'll run on a card from the 90's.

Provided you choose your parts carefully (goto a computer store and ask one of the techs what a decent machine, not great, machine will use) your computer won't cost more than a few hundred dollars, the cost of a console.

If you don't feel comfortable building it yourself, have them build it.[/rant]

Tired of seeing that argument trotted out over and over and over with no basis in fact.

Psy-Phi

Mar 21, 2008
Darth Mobius said:
And then there are those games that won't run on 6 month old hardware... My damn laptop won't run C&C 3, I need it to run Sins of a Solar Empire... I WANT THAT GAME!
Buy a gaming notebook next time -- the one you're using sounds like it couldn't possibly be designed for games. Any gaming laptop sold in the last 6 months can play Gears of War...certainly it should be able to play Sins.

New games though are generally meant for the desktop pc, not the notebook. But if you spend dollars on a notebook, you can get one that wallops many desktop gamer pc's.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
I don't think that PC gaming is dying out, I just think that they way that games are developed and published is changing. Making modern games is an expensive business, so the publishers need to shift as many units as possible. Thus the number of cross-platform titles increases; and while PC gaming is more expensive in terms of hardware, the games are often cheaper, and the hardware itself is much more versatile.

Razzle Bathbone

Sep 12, 2007
The entry bar for creating PC games is way lower than for consoles (except maybe portables). Which means the best stuff isn't the heavily hyped AAA titles, but small-time indie stuff.

With digital distribution, PC gaming is starting to see a lot of interesting independent titles like Audiosurf, Aquaria, The Ship, Darwinia and so on. PC gaming is disappearing from stores, but it's blossoming on line. As far as I'm concerned, the brick-and-mortar electronic game stores (worthless middlemen and gatekeepers) can choke and die. They're unnecessary now.