PC games you want to play... but can't

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
As Technology advances, games we were once/still fond of cannot remain with us.

What games did you love that will no longer play on your newer systems?

For me: The Dungeon Keeper Series, no compatibility mode will work on my 64bit Vista system

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
-Dragmire- said:

For me: The Dungeon Keeper Series, no compatibility mode will work on my 64bit Vista system

*STILL can't play Plants vs Zombies either....
PVZ? Really? That's a damn shame :( try getting it for Xbox or something.

Anyways, for me? Magicka, and the PC version of Oblivion. I mean, they do both run on my computer, but just so horribly (ironically, Oblivion runs better than Magicka), but I want to be able to make Oblivion look as good as possible. Mods and such.

... Or I could just wait for Skyrim.

Yeah, I'll just wait for Skyrim.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
BOOOM I bring you gifts
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/dungeon_keeper
gog just got dungeon keeper and if its on gog then its been remastered to work on modern operating systems

there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
*cough*

Good Old Games is your friend.

*edit* Dammit. Ninja'd.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Yeah, I've been trying to get DK2 working fully for years. I can play now, but it crashes way often and the menu is laggy as shit. I also wish Evil Genius would work on my computer.

Jason Danger Keyes

Mar 4, 2009
Crysis 1, and Shogun 2: Total War

Not because my computer is way too advanced to run them (I fucken wish), but because I'm ghetto and it's not beefy enough to run them.

I think the thread should be altered to accommodate games you'd need to upgrade to play as well.

Fanta Grape

Aug 17, 2010
I really want to play Borderlands and Bulletstorm but they barely, BARELY work on my damn mac... TT_TT

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Byond good and evil

the game should be renamed "dual cores are evil"

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
I would like to play Amnesia the dark descent but my laptop doesn't have the capacity to play said game, I might go see if I could go get it to play on my mac but it probably won't.

ultrachicken

Dec 22, 2009
I have the opposite problem: as technology advances, my computer does not advance with it. This means that I can't play TF2, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Fallout 3/NV, and Oblivion on PC, which are the games I want. Though I do have all the Bethesda games on that list already, I would love to get some mods for them...

corsair47

May 28, 2011
i really miss starwars KOTOR. Won't play on my new laptop. I was planning on playing it after i beat mass effect 2, because they are somewhat similar (both set in space with decision making and robots) but after installing it (which came on SIX cd's) it wouldn't run.

Weslebear

Dec 9, 2009
Only retro games now since I built a brand new PC about a month and a half ago and I can play any modern games easily.

And I can't think of any retro games that I am particularly interested in at the moment since I usually only revert back to the classics when I am in a gaming drought but I have way too many games to be getting on with, Borderlands, The Last Remnant and The Witcher are calling me to name a few, damn Steam sales, more money than free time.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
ZeroMachine said:
-Dragmire- said:

*STILL can't play Plants vs Zombies either....
PVZ? Really? That's a damn shame :( try getting it for Xbox or something.

Anyways, for me? Magicka, and the PC version of Oblivion. I mean, they do both run on my computer, but just so horribly (ironically, Oblivion runs better than Magicka), but I want to be able to make Oblivion look as good as possible. Mods and such.

... Or I could just wait for Skyrim.

Yeah, I'll just wait for Skyrim.
I beat PvZ using my steam account on a friends laptop(32bit vista), it's just sad I bought it twice (steam, cd) before realizing it won't work on my 64 bit system.

It's not just PvZ, Popcap games in general just don't work for me, they also don't answer troubleshoot emails.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Worgen said:
BOOOM I bring you gifts
gog just got dungeon keeper and if its on gog then its been remastered to work on modern operating systems

there isnt really a game that I cant play on my pc... I guess toon struck since it was an early win 95 game and its hard to get those to work on a modern os, unfortinatly dosbox doesn't make those work, I keep hoping gog will get it
thanks for the info, I'll definitely get it. It just sucks having to buy it again even though I own the cd version, it's like paying for a patch.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
-Dragmire- said:
Worgen said:
BOOOM I bring you gifts

thanks for the info, I'll definitely get it. It just sucks having to buy it again even though I own the cd version, it's like paying for a patch.
well if its for dos then you can dl dosbox and play it, but if its win 95 then your kinda stuck needing the gog version since win 95 doesnt like new os's at all

the spud

May 2, 2011
I'm sort of a noob when it comes to pc gaming, so i'll need you guy's help, and this seems as relevant a time as any. Will my dell latitude d620, running with windows XP, be able to run starcraft, halflife, and deus ex (the originals)? I know it can run amnesia, if that helps.

pyrosaw

Mar 18, 2010
STUBBS. THE. ZOMBIE. I have the game installed actually, but my it's in my sister's Steam account, so it's there taking up space while I wish I could play it.