PC Gaming Alliance Gets a New President

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
PC Gaming Alliance Gets a New President

The PC Gaming Alliance [http://www.pcgamingalliance.org] has selected a new President, just in time to remind everyone that yes, the PC Gaming Alliance is still around.

Remember the PC Gaming Alliance [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/81439-PC-Gaming-Alliance-Revealed]? Don't feel bad if the answer is no, because despite its self-proclaimed role as the champion of PC gaming around the world, it hasn't exactly been the industry's most active organization. The group has made a grand total of four press releases in 2010, one of which was yesterday's announcement that Randy Stude has been replaced as president of the PCGA by Matt Ployhar, a graphics and gaming industry strategic planner in Intel's Software and Solutions Group and formerly the chairman of the PCGA's Data Research subcommittee. Stude will remain with the PCGA as an "active member and contributor."

Cloyhar said he is "very committed and passionate about growing the relationships necessary with our industry and community leaders to ensure the continued momentum and success of PC gaming worldwide."

One of the reasons for the relative silence from the PCGA could be the fact that according to its research [http://www.pcgamingalliance.org/imwp/download.asp?ContentID=18354], PC gaming is in great shape and getting stronger every year. Revenues of "consumer PCs capable of gaming that shipped with a discrete GPU" added up to $54.6 billion in 2009 and are expected to reach $61.3 billion by 2014. "PC gamers are playing a central role in fueling healthier margins and driving innovation in this space worldwide," Ployhar said in the report.

Still, I can't help but think that as the supposed standard-bearer of PC gaming, the PC Gaming Alliance could stand to raise its profile a bit. It may be an industry group first and foremost, doing the bulk of its work behind the scenes, but an occasional toot of the horn sure wouldn't hurt. If nothing else, it might cut down on the "remember the PC Gaming Alliance?" jokes.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
You know, I think this might actually be the first time I've heard anything from the PC Gaming Alliance since they announced that they exist a couple years ago.

That probably isn't a good sign...

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
So in other words they are nothing but an elitist group of PC gamers (as if there weren't enough already) But these guys are special cause they say they can accomplish something? Wow, just wow. Personally I think guys like these bring down PC gaming cause nobody want to play with people like them imo

Edit: Sorry, post had more rage than expected

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
you want to help people get into PC gaming and prove its better?
make some pre-built gaming computers that are the same price as consoles and ill be sold

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
I sadly do remember the PC gaming alliance and I also remember whom the major players in it were/are.

So umm...

Acer released some cheap netbooks that cant even play flash.
AMD are looking out for their own interests by selling hardware to gamers because thats where the majority of their money comes from.
Antec again, selling hardware to gamers.
BFG are selling hardware to gamers.
Bigfoot Networks... you know those guys who made that "Killer network card" that was a complete scam.
Capcom who refused to release Super Street Fighter IV on the PC.
Dell/Alienware who sell overpriced hardware to stupid gamers who don't know any better. "I bought an Alienware PC!" "Dude... you're getting a dell..."
Entertainment Merchants Association.. umm... who?
Epic Games who turned their backs on the PC gamers in favor of the consoles.
Flextronics... who?
GameStop... oh how much they support PC gaming, thank you so much for the half a shelf with only the Sims and World of Warcraft on it... I'll be glad when Steam drives you out of business.
GameTap who I had no idea were still in business.
Gas Powered Games who in 2010 brought us the fail that was Supreme Commander 2. How would we ever have gotten through 2010 without that title?
Howie's Game Shack. Aparantly one of the largest game centers in the US... great if you live in CA or AZ, but what exactly they are doing for PC gaming I have no idea.
InstantAction who filed chapter 7 in 2010.
Intel, self interest selling to PC gamers.
Logitech, again a hardware manufacturer who want us to buy their products.
Microsoft... the single largest competitor with PC gaming which is ironic considering we mostly use windows for PC gaming.
Nvidia who need us to buy their hardware for games.
Razer USA Ltd. I mean other than that MMO mouse they made that was kind of neat, would anyone truly miss them if they died? Would PC gaming languish without yet another choice in over priced mice and keyboards?
Sony. Thanks for ruining some great MMO's. Also happens to be the 3rd largest competitor to PC gaming.
Southern Methodist University Guildhall. Yes a Video game school, its totally not a scam to buy a $40,000+ education for a career with no clear path for entry.
WildTangent. Because every PC gamers uses this digital service instead of Steam or Impulse. Right?

So that is everyone in the PC gaming Alliance... good to know they all have our back, right?

*Walks away laughing*

Roboto

Nov 18, 2009
Void(null) said:
I sadly do remember the PC gaming alliance and I also remember whom the major players in it were/are.

*Walks away laughing*
Totally and utterly pwned, my friend :)

paketep

Jul 14, 2008
The day Valve, Stardock, Firaxis, Introversion, etc, you know, PC developers (as opposed to console developers that do dirty ports, or no port at all), plus the Russian developers and the indies that are pushing the PC now are part of the PCGA, I'll listen. Until then, they're a bunch of nobodies and jerks that are doing more damage than good to the platform, most of it intentional (Microsoft in particular).

And no, not Blizzard. Not until they restore LAN support, a fundamental PC trait, to StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. They can shove their shitty facebook clone up there.

nairb1582

Jan 15, 2009
paketep said:
The day Valve, Stardock, Firaxis, Introversion, etc, you know, PC developers (as opposed to console developers that do dirty ports, or no port at all), plus the Russian developers and the indies that are pushing the PC now are part of the PCGA, I'll listen. Until then, they're a bunch of nobodies and jerks that are doing more damage than good to the platform, most of it intentional (Microsoft in particular).

And no, not Blizzard. Not until they restore LAN support, a fundamental PC trait, to StarCraft 2 and Diablo 3. They can shove their shitty facebook clone up there.
Think you've summed it up nicely.

RobCoxxy

Feb 22, 2009
RatRace123 said:
I can safely say... I've never heard of these guys before just now.
Ditto.
paketep said:

And also this.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
make some pre-built gaming computers that are the same price as consoles and ill be sold
What? That's what consoles are for. Cheap, yes they are cheap compared to a good PC, non-customizable(is that even a word?) personal computers capable of nothing else than gaming. So, in other words, consoles are nothing more than very expensive toys for grownups. On a sidenote: consoles are only that cheap(250-300 bucks) because the manufacturer gets most of his profits from the gamesales otherwise they'd cost 400++ a piece.

On topic:
These guys really need a bigger PR team if they want to be more than a pc-gaming appreciation club because i've never heard of them and i read almost every news in (pc-)gaming.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
The sad thing about all this is that there are things the PC Gaming Alliance could be doing to help out PC gaming (such as recommending System Requirements standards). Yet, so far, all they have done is extend words of support and how PC gaming is doing fine.

Honestly, they will have to actually do something for PC gaming before I acknowledge them as a legitimate body. Sadly, I doubt this is going to happen...

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
Azaraxzealot said:
Since gaming pc have higher performance and because that parts generally cost more its not economically viable.