Pc Gaming Dying????

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
spore just released there specs, and my six year old computer, a computer that i bought and added nothing to, meets the minimum requirements.

pc gaming will never die, for the same reason it started in the first place.
---> because almost everyone has acsses to a computer.

if you want a game to reach every single person in the world, and you had to pick a single platform to release it on, i would release it on pc-cd.

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I didn't read all posts in this thread, so this opinion may have already been mentioned. PC gaming is undergoing a brain drain due to console popularity. The most creative and gifted developers are getting swooped up by the consoles because that is where the money is. Consoles have less to fear from piracy or system incompatibility. PC gaming will never go away since it is the easiest platform to get started developing on. However if the best developers get sucked into making console games the moment they prove their ability we are not going to see many high quality PC games.

We can't really blame Developers or publishers this time, they are just doing what makes them money. It is our fault for not spending as much money on PC games as console games.

LCM

Mar 27, 2008
Why do console fanboys hate PC gamers they should be thanking us as their console wouldn't be so powerful had it not for using PC components(or made fisable by the PC market)the entire Xbox and the Xbox360 implemented PC tech the RSX(Nvidia 7800) on the PS3 for example most if not all of their processors.Its a Power "PC"(Macs are still PCs) core based for a reason. Without our constant upgrading your looking at gains like Gamecube to Wii.

Whats all this hate of the 8600GT I consider the graphics increase of going to a 8800[amazingly the 8800GTX(circa 2006) is the best graphics card(better than even the 9800GTX a relabeled and slightly higher clocked 8800GTS 512 2x or 3x (depending on the games scaling )8800GTXs are faster than 2x9800GX2s) even now not counting the special edition of it called the Ultra.]negligible due to 100% of my online gaming being older game Mods probably the reason why it looks dead cause I personally buy less games because of this which looks bad for paid developers.

The 1(no TRUE 9 series/HD3000)generation stagnation is causing these game consoles to hold their own against PC further adding to the their equal to midspec PCs when released rule.

I do have friends which have bought more than one console which further puts less meaning on the its cheaper argument console fanboys should simply admit its more accessible and convenient cause money is not that much of a border when your going to enjoy your games.

Manta173

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah I see both sides of the argument for one or the other, but neither are dead or dying... a mouse will always be better for fps or rts.... im sorry but its true and i doubt anyone who's used a controller and a mouse for the same game would disagree. I'm a PC gamer simply because I prefer the fact that I get the better control on the PC and don't have to pay extra to use the internet.... seriously all you live users are getting fleeced... The games will always be on PC's as long as they exist.... so until PC's are gone PC gaming will be here. Consoles are just a fun way of getting a few friends together in a room for a few hours.... on my own a console just isn't worth it to me. And as for exclusivity... anything on the xbox will eventually be on PC with better graphics and updated content.

In case you were wondering, I have a $1400 gaming rig that plays crysis at max settings... and a wii.

EDIT: Anyone else think its ironic he started this post on a PC somewhere?

tooktook

Feb 13, 2008
Jumplion said:
EvilEngineNumberNine said:
Not really trying to argue violently, just trying to get the truth out there.
The truth is the only thing that will shut my mouth

Jumplion said:
As my friend would say "Arguing over the Internet is just like participating in the special olympics; Even if you win, you're still a retard."

Mouth = Shut
Let us agree to disagree *offers hand in peace*
Jumplion, you are hilarious. (And accurate)
I try not to get into complicated arguments over the internet because frankly, I can't type fast enough

Lazy Lemon

Mar 24, 2008
you're probably right. me i only play pc games years after they come out because

a) i don't want to sell my soul to be able to afford something which can play the latest games but will be obsolete by the time i get it out of the box.

and

b) i get to see which games are the really worth playing by looking at what still gets praise years after they came out (such as system shock 2) rather than wastng my money on the latest peice of overhyped generic shit.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
I never saw PC or Console gaming dying. For me it's very annoying to see people in t3h int3rnetz (And my school) arguing which platform is dead, whether they're console or PC.

I'm a PC gamer at heart, but I also tend to play a lot of games in my PS3. Some games are really designed for a specific platform and that's where they're doing great. We already know that some developers are migrating to consoles and have to dumb-down those version so that they can fit to the casual audience.

I own a 1200 laptop (I know, laptops are not for gaming) and I played Crysis at some decent settings with a decent framerate and a PS3, so I found many games designed for certain platforms. For example: FPS, MMOs and RTS are best suited on a PC and that's a true. And for consoles... Well, there's some third-person shooters and sports games but I know that there are better games for console platform.

I prefer PC gaming because of the modding community, keyboard, mouse precision, more accessibility to modify your gaming PC and free internet play (By that I mean that we don't have to give money to developers to play on a certain game, save for MMOs).

I really hate these threads, not because I'm a PC fan boy, but it's because they have been done to dead and everyone gets tired of these threads.

The other thing that really grinds my teeth is that people think they need to be insanely rich to pay at least $5000 to play some demanding games at high settings. Listen, My dad bought new parts to build a desktop with an Intel Quad Core 2 ($150), 4 GB of RAM ($110), Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS ($180), MOBO ($150), Sound Card ($80), Case ($50). That's $720, it is way cheaper and faster than my laptop which was $1200 worth...

I hope the creator of this thread reads this, but I doubt he's doing that right now.

Manta173 said:
EDIT: Anyone else think its ironic he started this post on a PC somewhere?
Hehe, I always question that myself and I still haven't found out why do they use PCs if they think it's dead...

I hope he doesn't come up with a silly excuse like this for example: He typed all this on a console.

Plus, he didn't even replied. He just pulled this argument out of his ass (Except for the accessibility part).

x434343

Mar 22, 2008
PC can't die. It's been here since the 80's. It's not gonna die because someone says it seems weaker than the consoles.

tagMaverick

Apr 30, 2008
I think it's funny how half of the people in this thread think that access to the internet is free.

Just because your parents don't charge you to use it doesn't mean it's free, guys.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
Heh, when did I said that the internet is free? Nothing in this world is free, what I meant was that we don't have to pay extra money on live when we already have the internet.

Moon-Goose

Jun 5, 2008
I believe a computer is most deffinately one of the best consoles around.There is a lot of controls and control combination that you can use with a computer, which makes it a good alternative for my deep and complex games.

Personally, the only problem I experience with computer games is that my computer cant handle half of the games that I out on it, for example games like Postal 2 seem to freeze and when they un-freeze you end up half way across the street that you were previousy at the start of.

I think that if PC gaming is dieing out then the only reason it is, is because game consoles like the 360 and the PS3 are a much easier alternative, this is in the sense that they do not freeze and are built for much more felxible gaming times. You can play a console when you want, PCs with internet tend to decide they dont want to work for a while.

Novan Leon

Dec 10, 2007
I don't think anyone is serious suggesting that PC gaming is dying out, or will die anytime soon. I think PC gaming is here to stay, I just think the current trend for quality games is towards the consoles. Likewise, I think the current trend for PC's is in the direction of compact, convenient, practical uses that don't necessarily lend themselves to great gaming due to their compact form form factors and smaller integrated peripherals.

Moon-Goose

Jun 5, 2008
Yes exactly, many diffrent crazes of console have passed, GBA, GBA advanced, GBA SP, nintendo DS, gamecube, PS2, PS1, Xbox, ect. But all the time they have been around computer games have been around aswell. The consoles have been doing particularly well lately because of the release of the Wii and PS3, also due to the 360 upping its game to fight off its new rivals. But PCs will live on as they have in the past and will continue to.

ElArabDeMagnifico

Dec 20, 2007
Anarchemitis said:
Codgo said:
Jimmyjames said:
PCs require too many hardware updates to play newer games. I bought an 8600 about a year ago, it's ALREADY way out of date.
If you had got yourself a 8800 you would have been fine, the 8600 was a crap card.
And yet I still game like the best of 'em with a 6150.
lol, I heard someone ran crysis (on low of course) with that card >_>

If an 8600 is already obsolete, well, first of all, you should have gotten an 8800 because it's 50 dollars more, second of all, what games don't support an 8600?!?!?

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
the only problem i do have with the pc industry is the fact that its WAY to confusing.

if i want to run spore, i should be able to go out, find a game in best buy, bring it home and run it.

now i realize thats imposible, because of the almost infinate combinations of system set ups, but the 'minimum system requirements' should be easer to read. and EVERY pc should come with a gfx card, non of this, that costs extra bs.

Manta173

Jan 30, 2008
Leorex said:
the only problem i do have with the pc industry is the fact that its WAY to confusing.

if i want to run spore, i should be able to go out, find a game in best buy, bring it home and run it.

now i realize thats imposible, because of the almost infinate combinations of system set ups, but the 'minimum system requirements' should be easer to read. and EVERY pc should come with a gfx card, non of this, that costs extra bs.
So you think that high quality stuff should be free? I have always though the min requirements were easy to read.... these days they even list every video card the game works with.

I also agree with codgo... crysis is stupid... nasty requirements and no real gameplay... what the hell... I refer back to the gods at valve who make their games (Orange Box) so that they could run on my 6 year old system I could run the whole thing... I upgraded because I wanted to see them in full glory, but I was able to run them all. And in my opinion the graphics in the Orange Box are near the top of the line. Why doesn't anyone else do that?