Pc Gaming Dying????

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Asehujiko said:
Why are all these consoletards whining about having to upgrade their pc every so often?

I spend $100 a year upgrading my pc so that all my games run on high and newer games run on medium, which is like high on my older games because the standards are higher.

You spend $300 every 3 years to buy a new console. None of the newer games work at all on your old console.

Next argument!
Every 3 years? wow So 2005-2000= 3? (Ps2-360)

TheIceface

May 8, 2008
You silly internet people are arguing about prices for systems and upgrading them. Just thought I should mention, consoles need parts and crap too. Controllers, obviously, but occasionally you might want a wireless controller, or maybe you bought a 360 (hardy-har-har) and you realized that you have to get your HD-DVD drive separate. Thats pretty expensive if I recall it, plus people like buying component cables, wii-remote addons, and bean bag chairs.

On top of all of that, there is the cost of games that everyone is leaving out. If you want a console game, you buy it, then you stop playing it when it gets lame. If you want a PC game you buy it, or steal it if you're thrifty...er... "A DIRTY FILTHY CRIMINAL THAT WANTS TO GET ACQUAINTED WITH BUBBA IN JAIL BEFORE HE GOES TO HELL FOR DOWNLOADING MP3s/movies/games/hotpockets". ~~(not an) Actual quote from the RIAA

(In no way am I advocating criminal activity, but I would be a liar if I trivialized the amount of content that gets downloaded\stolen off the internet) If you're not a crook and you want more game for less buck, you can always download freeware games and Mods whereas if you're a console-guy you need to shell out more cash. I'm not even going to get into the addons and patches that are released for PC games even though that should also be taken into account.

So since the price of equipment is equaled pretty well now that consoles are selling addons, and the amount of game you can get for your money is tilted so heavily in the favor of the PC that even Hillary Oprah and Rosie couldn't change it by jumping up and down on the console's side of the price scale, I think its fair to stop claiming that PC gaming is more expensive.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
TheIceface said:
You silly internet people are arguing about prices for systems and upgrading them. Just thought I should mention, consoles need parts and crap too. Controllers, obviously, but occasionally you might want a wireless controller, or maybe you bought a 360 (hardy-har-har) and you realized that you have to get your HD-DVD drive separate. Thats pretty expensive if I recall it, plus people like buying component cables, wii-remote addons, and bean bag chairs.

On top of all of that, there is the cost of games that everyone is leaving out. If you want a console game, you buy it, then you stop playing it when it gets lame. If you want a PC game you buy it, or steal it if you're thrifty...er... "A DIRTY FILTHY CRIMINAL THAT WANTS TO GET ACQUAINTED WITH BUBBA IN JAIL BEFORE HE GOES TO HELL FOR DOWNLOADING MP3s/movies/games/hotpockets". ~~(not an) Actual quote from the RIAA

(In no way am I advocating criminal activity, but I would be a liar if I trivialized the amount of content that gets downloaded\stolen off the internet) If you're not a crook and you want more game for less buck, you can always download freeware games and Mods whereas if you're a console-guy you need to shell out more cash. I'm not even going to get into the addons and patches that are released for PC games even though that should also be taken into account.

So since the price of equipment is equaled pretty well now that consoles are selling addons, and the amount of game you can get for your money is tilted so heavily in the favor of the PC that even Hillary Oprah and Rosie couldn't change it by jumping up and down on the console's side of the price scale, I think its fair to stop claiming that PC gaming is more expensive.
1. HD-DVD drive is $50
2. Your one of your "silly internet people".
3. Do you want the kittens to cry? DO YOU?!

Originengel

Nov 7, 2006
I had to register again to dispel the myths that PC gaming is dying. I am tired of reading on forums(and this one that somehow PC gaming is just dying), on the contrary its the complete opposite if you look at the amount of games being developed at the moment for PCs.

In fact a resurgence is going on in the wake of Sam & Max. It re-awoke the adventure games, even notable people such as the Monkey Island Series creators are making new adventure game IPs. Even Simulation and Space Simulation are making a comeback.

Proof( This is a blog listing all the PC games and the ones that are also cross-platform):

Part 1: http://www.twistedpolygon.net/news/special-features/the-pc-games-of-2008.html
Part 2: http://www.twistedpolygon.net/news/special-features/the-pc-games-of-2008---part-ii.html
Part 3: http://www.twistedpolygon.net/news/special-features/the-pc-games-of-2008---part-iii.html
Part 4: http://www.twistedpolygon.net/news/special-features/the-pc-games-of-2008---part-iv.html
Part 5: http://www.twistedpolygon.net/news/special-features/the-pc-games-of-2008---part-v.html

These lists do not include the recently announced Colonization game.

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
luthurus said:
Look I'm guessing this is one of those typical forums where people take turns and spread their delicious hatred about so and so like a hybrid bukkake...
it was actually pretty intelligent for a while.

Kaewt

Jun 8, 2008
Strange, a few years ago the media claimed that gaming could possibly overtake hollywood's earnings, within 5-10 years. I am guessing that hollywood have taken action in some regard. PC gaming is deffinately in remission.

I feel it might be partly because of EA buying everyone out and thus making it obviously clear that you won't see games unless they feel like making em. The entire culture of our gaming society will end up being shaped by what is ea's model for the future.

My last arguement would be it might be possible that because, of the limited space available on the current generation of optical disk are forcing game developers(EA) to cram a lot of data into a package that previously wouln't have require many cds, as per older generation engines.

I mean that instead of making a game that was 5 cd's on a direcx 8 engine, you would probably require about 6 to 7 dvds to fit all the textures/sounds for the new version.

But that is hypothetically speaking. I hate when people would rather fight about which medium is best than actually trying to discuss critical aspects within the industry itself, this fanboyism is just a form of marketting to the uninformed.. in my opinion

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
Kaewt said:
My last arguement would be, it might be possible that because of the lack of space available on the current generation of storage disk, which is drastically less in comparrison with the first generation direct 3d games(just after dos games which came out on stiffies 1.44Mb) leaving game developers with 700 megabytes of gaming pleasure. are forcing game developers to cram a lot of things into a package that usually wouln't require many cds as per older generation engines.
I knew it! PC gaming is dying because of 3¾ floppy disks. We should've sticked with 8 inch drives.
Seriously, wtf? What do floppies and CD's have to do with the current generation of storage (as you put it) and with PC gaming dying out?

I agree on the EA thingy tho. PC exclusive gaming was hurt immensely by EA's shopping spree.

Kaewt

Jun 8, 2008
fyrh56 said:
Seriously, wtf? What do floppies and CD's have to do with the current generation of storage (as you put it) and with PC gaming dying out?
I was trying to point out, when we first saw the emmergance of Direct 3d gaming, to the likes of half-life, unreal etc.. they had an immense amount of storage to work with for their time.. as the previous generations of (dos) games were released on floppy/stiffy disks.

The increase in storage capability From floppies to cd was 300 fold, now, after 8 years of enhancements to the direct 3d gaming scene, we have to make do with dvds which is only about 5-6 times better than that of the cd's capabilities. I am arguing that until they discover a storage medium which can vastly improve on storage as well as utilising a high speed data throughput, pc games will just stay short n sheit ;)

RetiarySword

Apr 27, 2008
Its settled, its up to us to keep it alive! The audiance who know that PC games, even if there not exclusive, rock!

Power to the mouse!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
You should all be ashamed of yourselfs (except for the smart ones and such)!! We are all on an equal pedistal here, neither one is higher nor lower.

I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall unite and feel the others pain and happiness.
I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall realize that they are equal.
I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall be one and crush the real enemy; The Media!
I HAVE A DREAM THAT ALL SHALL HAVE FUN AND ALL SHALL BE HAPPY!!!!

If it were not for PCs being invented, there would be no consoles,
If it were not for Consoles, PC gaming would never have survived and give way for random flash games.

Please, learn from your mistakes and act as one!

Now where's the mod to lock this damned thread?

Ancalagon

May 14, 2008
Kaewt said:
) we have to make do with dvds which is only about 5-6 times better than that of the cd's capabilities. I am arguing that until they discover a storage medium which can vastly improve on storage as well as utilising a high speed data throughput, pc games will just stay short n sheit ;)
If you're talking about the storage medium that the game is played from, then the hard drive is already far larger and faster than a DVD. If you mean the medium that the game is provided to us on, I'd suggest that's becoming increasingly irrelevant: more and more games are being downloaded rather than bought in a shop, and the PC is leading that change, particularly through Steam. I can already download a full DVDs worth of game in a few hours, and there's no technical reason to limit it to 4.7GB, or whatever. I'm not saying there aren't advantages to buying a game in a shop; merely that I disagree that the DVD format could be holding back the PC gaming platform.

Aurora Firestorm

May 1, 2008
...You know, we shouldn't even be comparing consoles and PC. They're fundamentally different in several ways that just prevent it. PCs have a more versatile control scheme due to the zillions of button combinations on your keyboard; remember the shock and horror at the thought that Starcraft was rumored to be traveling to, what was it, the N64? That never could have worked. Mice are faster than console joysticks; keyboards have hotkeys. This, I think, is one of the main differences that separate the games:

Consoles have Japanese and a few Western RPGs(though this is also due to most console makers being Japanese and JRPGs being many times movies with some interspersed gameplay), many racing games, platformers (you don't need PC power for platformers, and most of the super-popular are Japanese in origin), your less-complex-than-Oblivion adventures like Zelda, and fighting games (which are far easier and more fun when you can just plunk four people on a couch rather than use the internet to link everyone far from each other).

The PC market seems to be mainly in huge/complex and/or interactive adventure games (Oblivion for the former, your stack of MMO's for the latter), Western RPGs (one factor being because they're more control-scheme complicated than JRPGs and require more versatility in the hardware), strategy games (because you just can't do that well with a controller, and FF Tactics/Disgaea don't count), simulation games, and the ilk of all the above.

Anywho, that's my $.02. I'm sure I left out some genres, but I don't know about all of them -- I'm mainly an RPG or action/adventure player. But the point is, if you go for the PC-style games, you go invest in a good computer and have at. If you're one of the old Zelda/Mario platformer types, you go get a Wii, or you sink in for a PS2/PS3 for all your JRPG needs, and there you have it. These days, the lines are actually pretty well-defined, and when they aren't, usually the game has been released for more than one system (even cross PC/console).

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Aurora Firestorm said:
...You know, we shouldn't even be comparing consoles and PC. They're fundamentally different in several ways that just prevent it. PCs have a more versatile control scheme due to the zillions of button combinations on your keyboard; remember the shock and horror at the thought that Starcraft was rumored to be traveling to, what was it, the N64? That never could have worked. Mice are faster than console joysticks; keyboards have hotkeys. This, I think, is one of the main differences that separate the games:

Consoles have Japanese and a few Western RPGs(though this is also due to most console makers being Japanese and JRPGs being many times movies with some interspersed gameplay), many racing games, platformers (you don't need PC power for platformers, and most of the super-popular are Japanese in origin), your less-complex-than-Oblivion adventures like Zelda, and fighting games (which are far easier and more fun when you can just plunk four people on a couch rather than use the internet to link everyone far from each other).

The PC market seems to be mainly in huge/complex and/or interactive adventure games (Oblivion for the former, your stack of MMO's for the latter), Western RPGs (one factor being because they're more control-scheme complicated than JRPGs and require more versatility in the hardware), strategy games (because you just can't do that well with a controller, and FF Tactics/Disgaea don't count), simulation games, and the ilk of all the above.

Anywho, that's my $.02. I'm sure I left out some genres, but I don't know about all of them -- I'm mainly an RPG or action/adventure player. But the point is, if you go for the PC-style games, you go invest in a good computer and have at. If you're one of the old Zelda/Mario platformer types, you go get a Wii, or you sink in for a PS2/PS3 for all your JRPG needs, and there you have it. These days, the lines are actually pretty well-defined, and when they aren't, usually the game has been released for more than one system (even cross PC/console).
Too bad its rarely about Wii or PC always Xbox or PC because their very similar (at least in games)

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Jumplion said:
You should all be ashamed of yourselfs (except for the smart ones and such)!! We are all on an equal pedistal here, neither one is higher nor lower.

I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall unite and feel the others pain and happiness.
I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall realize that they are equal.
I have a dream! That PCs and Consoles shall be one and crush the real enemy; The Media!
I HAVE A DREAM THAT ALL SHALL HAVE FUN AND ALL SHALL BE HAPPY!!!!

If it were not for PCs being invented, there would be no consoles,
If it were not for Consoles, PC gaming would never have survived and give way for random flash games.

Please, learn from your mistakes and act as one!

Now where's the mod to lock this damned thread?
That dream will unfortunately be shattered by fanboys.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
While I am NOT a big PC Gaming fan I feel that PC Gaming truly CANNOT be killed, FPS's and RTS's are just NOT AS GOOD on consoles as they are on PC's. Most importantly you lose the best Indie Gaming platform available, since most consoles are too expensive for small, up and coming developers to do any work on. Without the PC we never would have seen Painkiller, Farcry, The Witcher or Halflife, small companies making sudden brilliance.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
Dexter111 said:
you can even still play most games on "Low" with PCs that are 6 years old, which some people don't seem to get...
But doesn't that kill PC versions look 50 googol times better.