Pc Gaming Dying????

chefmaster

Jun 9, 2008
I know many pc fanboys disagree, but i remember several games like the battlefield games would be pc only, now they are not even multi platform but just console only, aka battlefield bad company.

pc games used to be ported to console way later, now the opposite is happening with games like halo and others.

I think it's fair to say pc gamming is not as strong as it used to be at the very least, almost anyone who is a pc gamer i know just plays mmo's.

I find that pc gamers feel this pressure and are the most defensive towards pc games, probibly cause that's what they grew up with? i really don't know? Like pc games and stuff can be fun but my $1200 laptop didn't even include dedicated graphics processor and features integrated graphics proecessing (IGP). I know i know i could have got a desktop pc much more powerful for games and what not, but the whole reason i got my laptop was for school. Most ppl buy their pc with primary needs such as work, communication etc prior to considering gamming. Also most ppl just want to buy a game and run it, pc is just too technical for the average person, most ppl don't understand what ram, processor, gpu even are in their pc, let alone what the specs of their pc is.

most ppl are buying pc's under or slightly above the $1000 margin, and with that said not custom built pc's pre-built integrated grphic and low end didicated graphics cards. so when u run a game on that and get the error "pixel shader 3.0 required" or have to settle for low-medium settings, where as u could have high settings for games like bad company and force unleashed which arent even for p, for under $300 on console, it is just easier to go console and most of all graphics are not everything.

sure the graphics on pc look better, but try playing some of these games like oblivion on a 52" plasma vs a a slightly more tweaked pc rendition of it.

Just accept the fact consoles are more accesible. high in power to provide games like oblivion, cod 4 in what no one could say "garbage settings" not the best, but pretty damn good for a fraction of the cost and in a more confortable environment in your living room where u can just sit back and relax, even with friends.

pc games have an uphill battle, just a fact, only the most hardcore of the hardcore gamers i think truly get more satisfaction in their gamming rigs which they ditched hundreds or even thousands on just for the knit picky increases in graphics, which dont even contribute to gameplay if they same game is available for 360 or ps3 as well.

while i used to be an hardcore pc Gamer. but consoles cant be stopped

i mean look at the market

consoles innovvate more like bluray, 1080P, live, wireless and portability etcetc

but pc are just the same and sales are showing that

by them failing i doubt it will last long

as consoles get stronger

pcs get weaker

pc gaming will soon eventualy just basically fade off

Leorex

Jun 4, 2008
pc gaming is difrent then console gaming, in the fact that consoles dont change more then every five years. pcs change every month, so while i could design a game for the xbox 360, and know what i have to work with right now. the problem with pc's is that you dont know what you will need in two years. so you just guess.

but i to bought a laptop for school, three years ago, and, also disapointed by the lack of graphics support.

that dosent stop me from playing the games i like, i still bought sid myers civilization 4, and worlords, i bought the sims2, and sam and max.

while i agree that pc gaming is not the giant that it was in the 90's with rpg's, turnbased, and real-time stratigy. it is a indomitable force.

Jimmyjames

Jan 4, 2008
I think it's a shame PC hardware doesn't have a little more staying power from generation to generation. I'd love to game ONLY on PCs, but alas, there are too many good games that are console only.

PCs require too many hardware updates to play newer games. I bought an 8600 about a year ago, it's ALREADY way out of date.

Blayze

Dec 19, 2007
There's no way PC gaming will ever die, and there's one simple reason for that fact: Modding communities. They're full of talented, skilled and knowledgeable people who, if PC gaming actually does "die", they'll most likely just start producing their own games and total conversion mods using existing engines.

Insector

Jun 10, 2008
I think PC gaming isn't dying, its just that consoles are pretty much computers with controllers, and people who don't have a Know-How on computers will just buy a console. Why buy a game for your PC when you can buy it for your Xbox and KNOW that it will perform up to standards. Some people say that its too expensive to build a good gaming computer. I spent $600.00 to build a new computer from scratch with parts from newegg.com and I am still very happy with it. Eventually consoles are just going to be like computers that are dedicated to Games.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Some of the best games I've played this year were PC exclusives. They are not, however, mainstream. Aquaria, Blackwell Unbound, Immortal Defense, Knytt Stories...you really can't call a platform dead when the games that are pushing the medium forward the most keep coming out on it.

http://www.manifestogames.com/

kungfujoe

May 22, 2008
As a future programmer, preferably in the gaming market, I can appreciate what you are saying. However...

However I don't necessarally agree with you completely. I pretty solidly believe that PC gaming will always be a force. One thing that PC's have on gaming, the keyboard. Oh, sure, some games have challenged the status quo...Steel Battalion anyone? $200 bucks for that thing.

My point is that there are two ways that this will end up. A)(and the most likely) Things will continue as they are. Consoles will become increasingly popular for gaming, yet the PC will always have a few aces in the hole. or B)Home PCs and consoles will become the same thing. Consoles will have so much power that they will run OSs, and people will use them for all of their home computing and gaming. PCs will still be prevalent in offices, and laptops in schools (especially the college scene).

The only way that B will happen is if consoles start shipping keyboards mandatory. I doubt that they will do that. Consoles would also have to be more upgradable.

My point is that PCs aren't quite dead, but consoles will definately take a huge chunk out of the gaming market.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
this old subject again? i've been playing games on both pc and console for long enough to have heard this being talked about for a while, each time new consoles come out it gets dragged out like a dead horse so we can beat on it more

it won't go away it's just a way for ppl to promote their new console games

TerribleTerryTate

Feb 4, 2008
Keyboard/Mouse > A console controller anyday of the week.

Don't get me wrong I enjoy playing the odd console game here and there, but if I'm given the choice between playing a console game, or a PC game - PC is winning every single time. I don't see how PC gaming could ever die out, unless some new craze hits the market. Something bigger, better, and generally more user-friendly than a PC. I can't for the life of me see what it could be though. One thing is for certain - it isn't consoles.

fyrh56

Apr 2, 2008
chefmaster said:
consoles innovvate more like bluray, 1080P, live, wireless and portability etcetc
The first public-available BluRay drives were PC drives. Way before the PS3.

PC monitors have been 1035p for over a decade now. The extra scanlines a television has were meant to maintain quality in some video conversions without the need of interlacing. HDTV's are merely tweaked PC monitors if you think about it.

"live"? you mean microsoft's payed centralized bullshit of what is supposed to be the internet? Oh yeah, innovation [/sarcasm]. The first game i played online was Quake over a 56k line about 10 years ago. "live"? pfft. Screw "live".

Consoles have been wireless-able only this generation. PC WiFi cards have been available since circa 1994. I've been using Wifi home networks for quite a few years now.

Portability? Bring a copy of CoD4 for an X360. I'll bring mine for a PC. How much do you want to bet only I will be able to play it on a bus?

Seriously, if you're going to play the "doomsayer" card and are attempting to backup your "doomsaying", at least back it up with true statements. PC gaming isn't dying and i very much doubt it'll ever die, consoles have merely gotten better.

Plays2

Oct 8, 2007
I have been a PC elitist since I was 7, so I will say this: Not this sh*t again. I hate this kind of threads.

Remember the thread of "Valve says PC gaming is ok"? PC gaming is not dying, it just needs more developers to be more dedicated to the platform...

chefmaster said:
Dude, PC's could render more than 1080p 6 years ago if you had the right hardware. HD is nothing new for PC gaming.

Live, huh?

For me live is just an unnecessary way to spend more money on the internet, and for what? Hell, I even enjoyed playing Quake 2 and 3 on a 56k with no problems and free...

PCs had wireless a long time ago. They had wireless somewhere in the 90's. So tell me, how are consoles innovating if PCs have done that years ago?

I'm awaiting your response.

/Goes back angry with his new PC.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
chefmaster said:
This line here made me laugh, admittedly with world-weary scorn, but it still got a chuckle.

Blu-Ray is a format for movie first and foremost, and from a game point of view, is often inferior to DVD as it can't be read fast enough. This is one of the reasons that many PS3 games have to be installed.

I hate to burst your buble, but we PC gamers have been playing in HD for a long time now. Your 1080p is nothing new to us. Live isn't an innovation, it's a simplication of the online component that PC gaming has done for years and trying to claim wireless technology as something that consoles did is simply laughable.

The reason that fewer games are PC exclusives is that the gaming market has changed. Games have become more expensive to make, largely because people are playing them on 52" plasma screens and the like. Publishers need to sell more of them to cover those costs and so you get multi-platform releases.

Ancalagon

May 14, 2008
Consoles do have some clear advantages over the PC: They're cheaper, games generally work straight out of the box, They're easier just to pick up and play. But the PC does have its advantages too. You say that consoles innovate more, with wireless, 1080p, blu-ray, live, portability etc., but none of these are console innovations. My PC is connected wirelessly, it can top 1080p, I could install a blu-ray drive in ten minutes if I wanted one. At the moment, the present console generation is in the early-to-middle of its life, and compares pretty well to the PC, but as time goes on, it will compare less well. Until the next generation, when I'm sure it'll catch up again. Which is really the USP of the PC platform, you can get the features that you want, as soon as they're available.

That being said, I think it's fairly clear that the PC platform is never going to be a match for the consoles, in terms of number of quality games releases, at least for the forseeable future; because the advantages that consoles have are the ones that the majority of gamers want. But there is enough that is different about the PC platform that it will always have its supporters, and as long as there are people wanting to play the games, there will be some games made for it.

I have a PC, an XBox 360, Playstation 2 and Wii, and enjoy them all. If I were starting from scratch, and I had £500 to spend on gaming, I'd rather get a console and a few games than a PC that was barely adequate. And I think that most gamers are in that position. Not that they don't have more money, but they're not willing to plough thousands in to what is for most people, a hobby. Because of that, consoles are going to get a better deal in terms of game releases than the PC, and quite right too. But there will always be some people who want the advantages PC gaming can bring, and the hardcore of those will be the kind of people who are in to creating mods and the like, and as Blayze quite rightly points out, that provides a 'fall-back' position for PC gaming, even in the unlikely situation that all the major developers were to abandon it.

ShadeOfRed

Jan 20, 2008
The 1fort Blog said:
PC gaming is fine. I have no numbers, no industry sources, no data, but it's fine. I know because I love PC gaming and will always love PC gaming. I know this because there are a shitload of PC games coming out every five minutes. I know this because all of my friends play PC games. Sure, console games are huge, but that doesn't mean there's no room for the PC. Most people I know have a PC for gaming even if they have a console. Even if they have more than one console, which most of them do. Most games are cross-platform nowadays, and while they don't always port well I think overall developers are getting better at it.

PC gaming isn't dying. It's a non-issue. If something is going to die, please let it be all the talk of PC gaming dying.
This pretty much sums up what I think.

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
chefmaster said:
pc is just too technical for the average person, most ppl don't understand what ram, processor, gpu even are in their pc, let alone what the specs of their pc is.
i can sorta agree with that. considering that if you look at firedog or whatever circuit city tech support thing is, it costs about $40 to put a stick of ram/video card in your computer for you.
But thats is were i stop agreeing.

However, and only however, if consoles are able to have keyboards and mouses, i just might stop caring about pc games.

...harharh, like thats ever going to happen anytime soon.

Joeshie

Oct 9, 2007
chefmaster said:
I know many pc fanboys disagree, but i remember several games like the battlefield games would be pc only, now they are not even multi platform but just console only, aka battlefield bad company.
The next Battlfield game is going to be exclusive.

Serveral points that need to be made:

A) I don't think there are any PC fans who think that PC gaming is more accessible or easier to deal with than consoles.

chefmaster said:
sure the graphics on pc look better, but try playing some of these games like oblivion on a 52" plasma vs a a slightly more tweaked pc rendition of it.
Slightly more tweaked? More like completely improved. In the specific case of Oblivion, I was able to ditch the terrible leveling up system and improve the gameplay vastly due to mods. Mounted combat in Oblivion? I did it with mods. High definition graphics pack that makes the console graphics look like last generation? I did it with mods. As ironic as it is that you mentioned Oblivion, it happens to be a game that showcases the power of PCs thanks to modifications and graphics pack improvements. Oblivion without mods is a decent game. Oblivion with mods is a fucking awesome game.

chefmaster said:
Just accept the fact consoles are more accesible. high in power to provide games like oblivion, cod 4 in what no one could say "garbage settings" not the best, but pretty damn good for a fraction of the cost and in a more confortable environment in your living room where u can just sit back and relax, even with friends.
I don't think PC gamers have ever said that PC gaming was more accessible, at least for hardcore games. It is definitely is more expensive and more technically challenging, but we are rewarded with superior online play, mods, custom maps, and native keyboard/mouse support.

chefmaster said:
pc games have an uphill battle, just a fact, only the most hardcore of the hardcore gamers i think truly get more satisfaction in their gamming rigs which they ditched hundreds or even thousands on just for the knit picky increases in graphics, which dont even contribute to gameplay if they same game is available for 360 or ps3 as well.
PCs have superior gameplay in most circumstances due to the availability of mods and custom content. PC gamers were enjoying GTA multiplayer years before our console brethren due to a mod that allowed online play with San Andreas.

chefmaster said:
Innovation? PCs have had 1080p and other HD resolutions games for years and years before consoles had them. LIVE is a poor online service and PCs have been doing online gaming better for many years before LIVE. PCs have also had wireless long before consoles had wireless.

You claim you were a hardcore PC gamer, but it's clear from your arguments that you definitely were not. Your arguments had holes and completely false statements within them. I would suggest that you go back to school and work on improving your intelligence, but I'm guessing that you probably are 15 years old and are thus still in school.

cleverlymadeup

Mar 7, 2008
fyrh56 said:
"live"? you mean microsoft's payed centralized bullshit of what is supposed to be the internet? Oh yeah, innovation [/sarcasm]. The first game i played online was Quake over a 56k line about 10 years ago. "live"? pfft. Screw "live".
gamespy beats out live by a few years, back when it was originally called quakespy and had many of the same features

i used to play quake on a 28.8 modem and was a half decent sniper in tf too :p

steam also beats out live by a bit as well