PC or PS4?

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Building a pc is not that expensive. Now if you need a monitor, speakers, mouse, keyboard and what not it will add up to more. But, you can budget it out fairly well. Can get into almost any game at high specs with a pc under 800 dollars. Ram is dirt cheap now. Solid state drive with OS on it is huge. And if you cant afford all you want at once? Get a a couple components cheap side and update later.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Venom 3135 said:
Ok, so basically I have to choose what I want for Christmas. A gaming PC or a PS4.

Normally, the choice would be very easy, but there are a couple of things that make this a hard decision to make.

1. Price. Gaming PC's are VERY expencive, but so are PS4 games.
2. Most of my friends will probably be going with a PS4
3. Persona 5. Perosna 5 (and a couple of other exclusives) are driving me towards ps4. I know Persona 5 hasn't been properly announced or anything yet, but if it does happen, I refuse to miss out on it.

As well as all of this, I spent the last generation on the PS3.

So what do you guys think?
Depends on the games you play. If you are into a lot of the JRPGs and other Japanese style titles that usually come out on Sony consoles (Yakuza series, Way of the Samurai) get a PS4. Otherwise get a PC.

I'd say simply for the fact that you want Persona 5 you're a fan of JRPGs and other such titles, if that's the case get a PS4.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
Well I already have a gaming PC but I'm going to be picking up a PS4. There is something about console gaming that I find more compelling and enjoyable.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Teoes said:
Bertylicious said:
The fact you are even asking this question confirms that you should get a ps4. PCs are a wonderful rigmarole that appeal to people who enjoy being tormented by problems.
..Whereas consoles come without the need to do firmware/game software updates, no installs, no DRM, never crash, never wear out and never brick?

Get a decent PC and it'll cause you no more or less problems than a console, whilst being a load more versatile to boot.

I'm a PC gamer, so I'm going to say go for the PC. It opens up the full back catalogue of PC games, so you've got decades of good games to choose from. The only thing for me that swings it in favour of the PS4 is the fact of your mates going for it.
As a PC gamer I have to say this.

PCs can brick. PCs can wear out.
PC game releases can be worse than console releases a lot of the time due to horrible optimization and depending on whether AMD or Nvidia drivers were the focus.
PC software updates are more frequent.
A lot of console games still don't REQUIRE installs.
DRM on consoles doesn't exist unless you go for digital titles.
PC games crash more often overall and crashes are much harder to pinpoint due to every PC being different.

And with Gakai heading to the PS4, it too will have a back catalogue of decades worth of games to choose from. Games that will ALL work on the PS4 because it won't have the problem of being to new of a machine to run older titles.

Basically both the PC and PS4 suffer from most of the same issues and both have their individual problems.

What it really boils down to is the kind of games you want. If you're into JRPGs, get a PS4. That's the one thing about being a PC gamer that sucks for me. PC gamers don't get the great Japanese console exclusives that usually pop up on the Sony consoles.

Doogan

Apr 2, 2012
Go for the PC man, Yes they are a bit expensive but then you have the advantages of backwards compatibility of every pc game ever released, being able to mod games, a booming indie scene, Dirt Cheap games thanks to Steam Sales, GreenManGaming, Humble Bundles ( just check out the latest one from EA), the ability to emulate game consoles up to the PS2 and Xbox ( the PS3 and Xbox 360 should hopefully be along soon) and the great fun that is building your PC (all you have to remember is that it's very expensive Lego :D )

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Considering it's your parents buying it, and you're in the UK (and thus your statement about the price of a PC is actually true for you)... as a PC gamer, I'd still recommend the PS4 first for you. Waiting on building a PC, especially at the start of a new console generation tends to pan out better. If you buy a PS4 late, it'll be the same hardware (hopefully, barring any widespread manufacturing defects) for a little less money. If you build a PC later, you'll get better hardware for less money (honestly, I'd recommend waiting on both, but I realize not everyone shuns the idea of "keeping up with the Joneses").

If you're thinking of buying a prebuilt gaming PC, the only advice I have is don't.

As for me personally, I'll be waiting a round or two of hardware releases after the new consoles are out before finally replacing the gaming PC I built in 2007. I'm mostly excited about the new consoles for the advances they'll be making to PC gaming as a result of 'em both going x86. Porting has never been easier, and I'm envisioning a whole lot more choices with fewer bugs as a result of this standardization.

J Tyran

Dec 15, 2011
AzrealMaximillion said:
Teoes said:
Bertylicious said:
The fact you are even asking this question confirms that you should get a ps4. PCs are a wonderful rigmarole that appeal to people who enjoy being tormented by problems.
..Whereas consoles come without the need to do firmware/game software updates, no installs, no DRM, never crash, never wear out and never brick?

Get a decent PC and it'll cause you no more or less problems than a console, whilst being a load more versatile to boot.

I'm a PC gamer, so I'm going to say go for the PC. It opens up the full back catalogue of PC games, so you've got decades of good games to choose from. The only thing for me that swings it in favour of the PS4 is the fact of your mates going for it.
As a PC gamer I have to say this.

PCs can brick. PCs can wear out.
PC game releases can be worse than console releases a lot of the time due to horrible optimization and depending on whether AMD or Nvidia drivers were the focus.
PC software updates are more frequent.
A lot of console games still don't REQUIRE installs.
DRM on consoles doesn't exist unless you go for digital titles.
PC games crash more often overall and crashes are much harder to pinpoint due to every PC being different.

And with Gakai heading to the PS4, it too will have a back catalogue of decades worth of games to choose from. Games that will ALL work on the PS4 because it won't have the problem of being to new of a machine to run older titles.

Basically both the PC and PS4 suffer from most of the same issues and both have their individual problems.

What it really boils down to is the kind of games you want. If you're into JRPGs, get a PS4. That's the one thing about being a PC gamer that sucks for me. PC gamers don't get the great Japanese console exclusives that usually pop up on the Sony consoles.
As a genuine PC and console gamer (one thats getting [http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/2924/p328.jpg] a PS4) I can tell you that a PC will never brick itself (only if someone messes with things they should not be messing with) so badly that it can only be sent back to the manufacturer to fix, there is always the option for the user to fix it if they bother to learn how. Better hope a console is in warranty when it bricks otherwise you have let Microsoft or Sony rummage around in your wallet. To stick with the fixing thing the user can always fix a PC themselves, again if they bother to learn how. Its not that hard to trace hardware faults or to replace the broken part, you don't need to replace the whole machine or have it sent away for weeks (Notebooks you might have to) and while software problems can be slightly more obscure they usually come down to a few usual suspects that you can check for.

Consoles update just as much as PCs and are much more intrusive and a PC gamer can choose to not update their game or PC and not have all their social features turned off, DRM in some aspects very much exists in retail console games with things like season passes and DRM is the next big thing with both Sony and Microsoft "leaving it up to the publishers" next gen. Finally if a PC is crashing more than a console it has issues, you know that both the PS3 and the 360 have higher failure rates than PCs have right?

TK421

Apr 16, 2009
PC without a doubt. Games are cheaper, there are mods, you get to chose your backgrounds and such, get the choice between a mouse&keybord or a controller, and the biggest seller: multiplayer is free

Windcaler

Nov 7, 2010
PC. For one you can customize your hardware to suit your needs making it as cheap or expensive as you need it (not to mention you can upgrade it and replace parts cheaper instead of having to completely replace a console that will remain the same till the next one comes out). Secondly you get a wider variety of games (many of which are free) that also dont cost nearly as much as console versions would.

As to your friends you could discuss the idea of PC gaming with them to see if they'll move over with you. Consoles certainly have a few advantages but PCs have more and after a few years the lower game costs will make up for the more expensive hardware.

As for Persona 5, well as far as I know it hasnt been announced yet. Also what makes you so sure it wont be on PC as well? Theres no evidence one way or the other but after Atlus made money on several PC versions of games like Zeno clash 2 I would be suprised if they wouldnt push for a PC version of other games. On the other hand what makes you so sure that Persona 5 wont be on the PSVita or a future handheld as well? Persona has always been a graphically unimpressive game but makes up for it with anime style artwork/animation so I dont see why such a game would need to be on the PS4 rather then its handheld cousin

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I'm starting to wonder if this thread should have been titled "Should I build a PC?" and then the obvious answers would ensue of course.

MercurySteam

Tastes Like Chicken!
Legacy
Apr 11, 2008
When I started out I gamed heavily on the Xbox 360 because many of my friends did and I didn't have the money to build a worthwhile gaming PC. Now my friends game on PC and I have a beastly gaming machine, so it comes down to your current position and what you can spend. PCs have free online, cheaper games, unparalleled customisation (on both the software and hardware level) and you get a badass machine to do all your other computing on. I always preferred consoles because I could relax on my couch in front of them but for a decent price I can run a long HDMI cable to my TV from my PC and get a wireless controller.

So I'm still recommending PC, but think about what suits you now but also in the long run.
SkarKrow said:
As for price, you can build a console killer for 500. For 700-800 you'll likely weather the next gen.
For $500 you could get more power than a console but not a better gaming experience. In my opinion anyting less than a HD 7850 and you're pushing it, especially with a new set of cards coming/already out and a new console gen.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
Adon Cabre said:
Veylon said:
Shadow-Phoenix said:
Being a hybrid gamer I'd suggest going for a PS4 for it's charm and exclusives.

But then again this is the Escapist where i forget the user base is 98% PC gaming only and is normally biased without regret, shame really.
You forget that the vast majority of console games are only conveniently available via PC. The PS3 may not be backwards compatible with a PS2, but do you know what is? A PC. When people get nostalgic about their PS3 and XBox 360 collections down the road after their machines have expired, a PC is where they will be playing them. Further down the road, after the PS4 and XBox One have been abandoned, do you know what system their exclusives will be exclusive to?

In fairness, consoles used to have advantages. My NES is still fully functional and plays games instantly. It's quick and easy to use. The modern consoles have adopted the PC issues of loading, updating, connecting, crashing, and burning out. I see no reason to own one any more.
How the hell do you so confidently project into the 2020's? When consoles are abandoned?

By then Laptops and Tablets will own the world [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.825163-Update-GTA-V-Coming-to-PC-Says-Nvidia#20010785]; still, you make the flaw of assuming that the state PC gaming -- pricing, sales, etc... -- will be the same. For being so tech savvy, PC gamers are indifferent to change, or time.

But I suppose an $800 PC rig might outdo the Playstation 4. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.825163-Update-GTA-V-Coming-to-PC-Says-Nvidia?page=3#20038695]

So if you can afford it, go PC. Hell, I'm targeting a $1500 Laptop because I can, and because ugly, massive desktops are so passe in 2013.

But damn, the Playstation 4 looks freaking sexy!

Oh, and my Playstation 2 still hasn't burned out or crashed since 2003.
That $250 is still going a long way.​
I'm projecting based on the past. The PS2 library is already abandoned and requires legacy hardware to be accessed - unless you own a PC. What else will you use when your PS2 finally does kick the bucket? The power of PCs is constantly increasing and whatever is state-of-the-art will be hopelessly obsolete tomorrow, cheap and easy to emulate.

Laptops and Tablets are effectively portable PCs: general-purpose computing devices that have access to a wide range of programs from a variety of distributors. With a console, you are effectively beholden to a single source for programs. Which is why they will own the world. What state do you imagine consoles to be in in the 2020's when tablets have won? It looks like a dead end to me.

My PC cost $400 and plays all the games I want to play. The peripherals can be - and have been - carried forward from one PC to the next. I don't expect it to outweigh the nextgen consoles in the graphics department. But it does give me access to a vast library of gaming that consoles do not. That's what's important to me.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Venom 3135 said:
There was an article I saw that compared the price of a PS4 to the price of building a PC with the same specs. For the time being, it seems the PS4 is actually cheaper.
3. Persona 5. Perosna 5 (and a couple of other exclusives) are driving me towards ps4. I know Persona 5 hasn't been properly announced or anything yet, but if it does happen, I refuse to miss out on it.

Sounds like you already have your answer.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Venom 3135 said:
Ok, so basically I have to choose what I want for Christmas. A gaming PC or a PS4.

Normally, the choice would be very easy, but there are a couple of things that make this a hard decision to make.

I have PC's, PS3 and xbox, and getting a PS4. As someone who's about as neutral as you can get, I'd say PS4. Reasons being number 2, at the end of the day what system your friends play matters the most. You want to game with them and to do so obviously you need to go the same route. Also you can always get a PC at a later date and buy the older games cheap anyway, as theres no backwards comparability issue (windows issues aside).

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Venom 3135 said:
My reasons for PC is that I prefer playing games in general on the PC, better hardware and more games. Also, then I can have everything in one place. And unfortunately I can only have one or the other. Honestly, I think that if it wasn't for the exclusives, my mind would already be made up. So to summarize it, I'd much rather get a gaming PC but there are exclusives and friends that steer me the other way.
If that's truly how you feel, then you are going to regret buying a PS4. I'm sure some great fun will be had on the PS4, but if your heart is in the PC, the corporate control and cynicism will bleed through to your expereince. You might not notice it right away, but it will be clear when you play something that's not on the PS4. Besides, as others pointed out, the PS4 will come down in price eventually, and there will be grand library for you to enjoy at that time. If you want to play with your friends, convince them to get some PCs as well.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
To be honest, I'd recommend sticking with whatever you have now and waiting until there are more next-gen games out to justify it. Most of the big next-gen titles are being released on current-gen systems so you won't be missing too much.

In the mean time, get them to buy you a boatload of games or something =D

As for Persona 5, there's no guarantee it will be a PS4 title. It's definitely not going to be a PC title, but my money is on it moving to a handheld.

Strelok

Dec 22, 2012
PC first, get all the benefits, wait for the inevitable PS4 price drop and general console release turbulence and well, you have ultimate gaming combo. The best of two worlds, power, performance and flexibility of the PC and what will possibly be the best exclusives from the PS4. This will be what I am doing as well.

Ascarus

Feb 5, 2010
Venom 3135 said:
get a PC now. i would wait a year for the PS4. by then there will actually be a game library available that is bigger than six games, perhaps two of which are worth buying.

prpshrt

Jun 18, 2012
As a PC gamer that currently has a riig that was in between mid-high end last summer (I believe anyway), I'd advise you to get a PS4 for gaming. Thing is that I believe that games will eventually optimize the hell out of the hardware and while it may not be as good as a gtx 670/680/770/780, It'll still be hell of a lot better than a PC you build for $400. Also, umm PC games aren't more expensive. Look up steam summer sale and you'll see what I mean. Those deals are insane. I think Bastion was like $2 at one point