Pedophile Sues Crew of "To Catch A Predator"

shadowstriker86

Feb 12, 2009
honestly the stupidity of this even being considered by a judge astonishes the hell out of me

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=379084b5-be1a-4fad-b61e-99a6a06add7e

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
Did you even read the article?
The judge did, however, reject a portion of Tiwari's suit claiming defamation -- on the grounds that he was engaged in an apparent felony. (Eventually, he was convicted of a misdemeanor, which was reduced to an infraction as part of a plea deal in exchange for dropping his appeal.)
The only thing in question is whether it is right to sensationalise his arrest and/or broadcast it as drama.

That may not be so, according to U.S. District Court judge Edward Chen, who ruled last week that it "was not necessary" for cops to wait until after the Hansen confrontation to arrest Tiwari or to arrest him "in a sensational way," or for NBC to film Tiwari -- who was nabbed in Petaluma, Calif. -- being cuffed and questioned.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I agree with the above, as terrible and selfish their crimes are, child molesters shouldn't be excluded from legal protection and due process. Making exceptions just leads to slippery slopes, let the judge make his decision as according to the law rather than sentiment.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
Not that I'm against them catching paedophiles but I have always, regardless of what this idiot is sueing for, thought that the level of entrapment on the show is ridiculous.

I mean the girl/boy is of legal age, they help put words into the predators mouth to an extent, they make them bring potential evidence i.e tell them to bring condoms, beer etc and then lure them out and catch them on television. I mean technically they've come over to have sexual relations with someone of a legal age but I understand that if they weren't legal they would potentially still do so.

I guess the entrapment is justified in catching these people although there have been cases of those with no record of felonies with minors who then have their entire lives ruined for making an extremely stupid mistake.

BishopofAges

Sep 15, 2010
Not to skate on the already thin-ice that is this arguement, but wasn't this whole senario a skit on Robot Chicken or was it a reference to this predicament?

I admit that they sensationalize the hell out of that show, but thats sort of the point isn't it? To put a scare into weirdos while at the same time giving other people a 'yes we got em' moment to feel safe, but correct me if I am wrong. Don't they also have to get a signature in order to even show the face of said pedophile, and that's kind of signing away the right to whine about it if you get something for it.

MammothBlade

It's not that I LIKE you b-baka!
Oct 12, 2011
I always thought that Chris Hansen was taking things a little too far with filming sting operations and then showing soon after. They should only broadcast after a person has been convicted by trial and jury, or else it risks ruining the lives of innocent or otherwise decent people. Still, to catch a predator is right down there with Jeremy Kyle as an example of the worst, most sensationalist trash TV.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
ravensheart18 said:
It's fine to show the work they did leading to the arrest, but staging the on camera "gotcha" led by a show host is over the top. I think he has a point.
I agree with this. I don't agree with sensationalising the capture of criminals, for two reasons: one, it inspires vigilantism, two, it martyrs them to an extent.

Actually three: you are innocent until proven guilty.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
shadowstriker86 said:
honestly the stupidity of this even being considered by a judge astonishes the hell out of me

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/tv/blogs/tv-buzz-blogpost.aspx?post=379084b5-be1a-4fad-b61e-99a6a06add7e
Honestly the stupidity of the above post astonishes the hell out of me.

Realistically, what Chris Hansen is getting away with is violating the constitution, and someones Miranda rights. He conducts interrogations that are filmed and then later broadcast and used in trial settings. He is actively engaged in entrapment. and he gets away with it because there are millions of fools in the U.S that do not know there own rights and find this crap "entertaining". encouraging pedophilia is not entertaining. I would crucify Hansen in his own front yard, but that would make us both criminals.

Pyramid Head

Jun 19, 2011
Even if the crime is hideous, vigilantism is another crime in itself, especially when our legal system states that you're innocent until proven guilty. I know the execution rates might make it hard to swallow that, but that is at least what the constitution says.

The Artificially Prolonged

Random Semi-Frequent Poster
Jul 15, 2008
I am not going to defend child molestors but the whole To catch a predator concept of entertainment sends shivers down my spine in the first place. I think pedophiles should be stopped as early possible but televised entrapment for the entertainment of the general public is not the way to go about it, and as the judge rightly has decided needs to be addressed to prevent a legal loophole that could be exploited.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
To Catch a Predator is quite possibly the worst TV show ever produced. The entertainment we derive from it (though ideally not) is based around entrapment and vigilantism. There is nothing redeeming about this show. Yes, child molesters should be imprisoned (or better yet, be given some effective therapy!), but to make such a mockery of the justice system is just as sick as the people it seeks to catch. Hansen may fancy himself a modernday Batman, but he is just scum, no better than the people he films being arrested. Fuck him.

I hope this lawsuit makes it through. Not that I am defending what the guy has been arrested for, but filming and broadcasting the entire arrest makes a mockery of justice. Again, fuck Hansen.

Crazy

Oct 4, 2011
This is why all kids are FBI agents. And their leader, Chris Hansen, that evil man! But is it wrong for other people to pose as children... Or the predators themselves... to pose as well? These people are posing as children, doing the very thing their prey is doing.

TC;DR: They're doing the same thing pedophiles are doing, but with the intention of arresting said pedophiles. Two wrongs make a right, eh?

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
tomtom94 said:
ravensheart18 said:
It's fine to show the work they did leading to the arrest, but staging the on camera "gotcha" led by a show host is over the top. I think he has a point.
I agree with this. I don't agree with sensationalising the capture of criminals, for two reasons: one, it inspires vigilantism, two, it martyrs them to an extent.

Actually three: you are innocent until proven guilty.
I agree with this.
No matter how disgusting we find the supposed criminal, vigilanteism is equally disgusting.
We are supposed to live in a civilized society where the police and courts deal with crime, not random citizens.

And is not entrapment illegal?

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
If you're stupid enough to try and hook up with a minor online and stupid enough to get caught at it, then you deserve whatever punishment and humiliation you get.

Azurian

Oct 27, 2010
Wow did the guy watch the Robot Chicken episode where the pedophile sued MSNBC? Is that how he got the idea?

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
Surprisingly, I finding myself on the side of the show with this one. Now I've never actually watched it (nor would I really want to), so I'm assuming the police do the actual catching of the criminals, but if so then what is the problem? Dangerous paedophiles that decide to sexually molest a minor are caught in a way that both raises awareness and generates money to continue the process.

What's the problem?[footnote]The moral problem I mean. I don't know or really care too much about the legality of it...[/footnote]

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
lunncal said:
Surprisingly, I finding myself on the side of the show with this one. Now I've never actually watched it (nor would I really want to), so I'm assuming the police do the actual catching of the criminals, but if so then what is the problem? Dangerous paedophiles that decide to sexually molest a minor are caught in a way that both raises awareness and generates money to continue the process.

What's the problem?[footnote]The moral problem I mean. I don't know or really care too much about the legality of it...[/footnote]
A few things.

* Undermining the justice system with vigilanteism.
* Entrapment.
* Taking a very serious issue and making it into entertainment.