Peggy Carter's Back (And Throwing Punches) in Agent Carter

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
jabrwock said:
Miss last night's two-hour premiere? It's definitely worth watching. You can catch it online
Or, if you watched it in Canada, you HAD to rewatch it online if you wanted to actually see the ending, because CTV cut off the last few minutes...
Did they actually? I watched it on CTV and it didn't seem like I'd missed anything. Could you describe the cut scene for me?
Right near the end, didn't even fade to black or show credits, just jump-cut over to the intro to "Persons of Interest". It was right as the guy in the OSS warehouse was bending down to pick up
Stark's car's license plate.

It's a minor thing, they only missed a few seconds of the show, and the 20 seconds of credits, but considering how much they were hyping it in commercials, you'd think they'd take better care of the shows they're trying to drive eyeballs to...

Ok, so not last few minutes, but last portion of the show. Usually they do the whole talking over the credits, but this time they just cut straight over, like the commercial timer was asleep at the wheel...

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Pikeperch said:
I enjoyed it, much more than I did Agents of Shield at the start, and probably now as well. Although, for a show sending a message of empowerment of women, they certainly knew how to show off Peggy's physique. Maybe that's just me being filthy.
Sign of the times. Look at most of the women around her. Everything was designed to show off the hourglass look. Almost all the guys are in suits. It was a thing. Even the working class men wore ties.

Does she take full advantage of that to keep the guys off-kilter? Yeah. Nothing like a bit of misdirection.

Doesn't mean she can't wear it, there's a difference between being sexy and being an object. She has personality, strengths, and can turn every head in the room while beating the piss out of every bad guy in it. So she's not just eye candy.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
jabrwock said:
Soviet Heavy said:
jabrwock said:
Miss last night's two-hour premiere? It's definitely worth watching. You can catch it online
Or, if you watched it in Canada, you HAD to rewatch it online if you wanted to actually see the ending, because CTV cut off the last few minutes...
Did they actually? I watched it on CTV and it didn't seem like I'd missed anything. Could you describe the cut scene for me?
Right near the end, didn't even fade to black or show credits, just jump-cut over to the intro to "Persons of Interest". It was right as the guy in the OSS warehouse was bending down to pick up
Stark's car's license plate.

It's a minor thing, they only missed a few seconds of the show, and the 20 seconds of credits, but considering how much they were hyping it in commercials, you'd think they'd take better care of the shows they're trying to drive eyeballs to...

Ok, so not last few minutes, but last portion of the show. Usually they do the whole talking over the credits, but this time they just cut straight over, like the commercial timer was asleep at the wheel...
No, I saw that on the show. Strange, maybe they cut it on your CTV channel. I was watching on CTV Ottawa.

jabrwock

Sep 5, 2007
Soviet Heavy said:
jabrwock said:
*snip*
No, I saw that on the show. Strange, maybe they cut it on your CTV channel. I was watching on CTV Ottawa.
I think I was on CTV Toronto, in between movie trailers it was the same commercial about reporting on Toronto metro problems.

Pikeperch

May 3, 2010
jabrwock said:
Pikeperch said:
I enjoyed it, much more than I did Agents of Shield at the start, and probably now as well. Although, for a show sending a message of empowerment of women, they certainly knew how to show off Peggy's physique. Maybe that's just me being filthy.
Sign of the times. Look at most of the women around her. Everything was designed to show off the hourglass look. Almost all the guys are in suits. It was a thing. Even the working class men wore ties.

Does she take full advantage of that to keep the guys off-kilter? Yeah. Nothing like a bit of misdirection.

Doesn't mean she can't wear it, there's a difference between being sexy and being an object. She has personality, strengths, and can turn every head in the room while beating the piss out of every bad guy in it. So she's not just eye candy.
Point taken, although I was thinking more in terms of how the camera was positioned. I think it was mostly the scene where she opened the safe that stuck out to me.
That said, I didn't get the same impression from the second episode at all.

The Choke

Nov 5, 2014
Everything about this show delights me. Seriously, Bubbles in a suit, minor characters are believable and easy to relate to (Angie from the automat, especially.) and the action scenes are fun. Also, I like the upbeat, jazzy music. Peggy is a wonderful lead character who is capable, fascinating, and flawed. She is incredibly arrogant, and it doesn't always help her out. But it's not something that she has to constantly get taken down for, either. I think the show succeeds in presenting the challenges she faces, both as an agent and as a woman, without losing its momentum, or becoming dry or boring.

Personally, I'm pleased. All my shows are on break, so this is a nice treat.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
This show was fantastic. Humor, great characters, a fresh setting, good music and a female (!) lead. I've been waiting for that last bit forever. This show totally shamed Agents of shield and was actually ABOUT something.

I thoroughly enjoyed the double, but I'm afraid the show might be pressed to keep up the quality. Time will tell, but I'll be watching this one with interest :)