Pen and Paper games; Suggest me a new obsession!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
After Dungeons and Dragons (3.5 and 4)/ Pathfinder/Gamma World and Shadowrun I've been looking for a new P&P game to play.
I've been reading up on Vampires the Masquerade but I'm not really sure I'm a big fan of the setting.
So, I'm looking to my fellow geeks/nerds or otherwise basement dwelling folk to suggest me a new and exciting game to obsess about.

Any suggestion is welcome, even if it's something very similar to the ones I already mentioned.
The mechanics could be what really sold this game for you, or the setting was something you really enjoyed. They can be serious, or goofy. More story focused or more combat focused. As long as it involves some sort of Roleplay that can be performed around the table.

Personally, I think it would be really awesome to have some sort of Superhero setting, or something really over-the-top powerful. (imagine Dragonball Z, if you will).

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
My best surgestion would be the Warhammer 40,000 ones, Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader ect. At my gaming club we used to have a group which merged most of the 40k games into one (with some restrictions) but it was alot of fun until our 2 lead organisers moved across the country.

Edit. You can also try Savage Worlds, its a universal rules set that can be used with almost any setting (with some improvisation from the DM), its a but more role play focused than combat but its really good for one of sessions. For exmaple we hade 2 sessions of space age Nepleonic Wars, and one cowboy session and than an Alien (as in based off the movie session.)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
You could try Apocalypse World. It's a narrative based game that has some rules but they're a bit looser than say, Pathfinder or D&D, and it's simple to pull off most rolls (every roll is 2d6+stat for example) but it can result in some fun moments.

Launcelot111

Jan 19, 2012
If you're looking for superhero stuff, Marvel has a whole RPG system mapped out. I can't actually speak to the quality of the game, but it does in fact exist.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
Launcelot111 said:
If you're looking for superhero stuff, Marvel has a whole RPG system mapped out. I can't actually speak to the quality of the game, but it does in fact exist.
Oh, thanks, I will look into that.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
Ranorak said:
The mechanics could be what really sold this game for you, or the setting was something you really enjoyed. They can be serious, or goofy. More story focused or more combat focused. As long as it involves some sort of Roleplay that can be performed around the table.
Superhero games are tricky as there are few workable ones. You often find the setting is good, only to find the system lets it down. Or the system is good, but the setting is poor.

The most system-heavy old-school Supers RPG I've played is Champions. It used to take days to create a character - but it really is comprehensive. Alas the gameplay suffers because of the complexity. It's in sixth edition now - which I haven't played. It may be more streamlined that it was. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Champions_(role-playing_game)

A more low-key game, but probably better setting is Wild Talents and the WWII RPG Godlike. Based on the One Roll Engine, Godlike has a nice setting, but the system is a bit clunky. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godlike_(role-playing_game) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Talents_(role-playing_game)

White Wolf has a few settings that might fit.

You could track down a copy of Aberrant, which has an interesting, albeit dark, setting. The second part of the Trinity setting which covers pulp, supers and sci-fi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberrant

For a more high-powered Anime-inspired "anything goes" supers craziness - have a look at Exalted. The fantasy/steampunk game setting is comprehensive, the books are lovely to own and it has many high fantasy super martial arts with dragons, vampires, werewolves and monsters covered. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exalted

An interesting bend on the topic is Scion - where characters are sons/daughters of the gods. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scion_(role-playing_game)

If you decide to look at Savage Worlds, and you want to play Supers, then have a look at "Necessary Evil" - it's a cool setting/adventure where the characters are super-villains, but they are all that's left standing between alien invaders and total subjugation of mankind. http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/11/11336.phtml

Mar 30, 2010
Ranorak said:
I've been reading up on Vampires the Masquerade but I'm not really sure I'm a big fan of the setting.
Look up Dark Ages: Vampire in that case. It uses the same rules and clans of VtM but is set in medieval Europe. Rather than hiding from sight and pretending to be human as they do in VtM, the vampires of Dark Ages revel in their dark gifts and rule over villages of terrified peons as undying lords.

On a different tack, as you mentioned 3.5, our DM recently started running an <a href=http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms>Iron Kingdoms campaign which is quite entertaining and a nice change from the standard D&D settings.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Marvel does indeed have an RPG system mapped. Played it once... wasn't very captivating, but I think that was more to do with the fact that the GM had prepared a lousy adventure. Mechanics held up OK.

Vampire: The Masquerade is brilliant if you have a good GM who knows his/her way around the setting and can bring the diverse and nuanced vampire society to life, and especially long-term-oriented plot arcs can be immensely satisfying.

Arcane Codex is a pretty standard affair in RPG terms, but I still find it more appealing than D&D when it comes to fantasy roleplay.

Now, for some detailed recommendations:

If you're into superpowers and a novel roleplay experience, you should find Wildcards decidedly more interesting.
It's based off the Mutants and Masterminds RPG template and concerns an alternate reality wherein shortly after WW2, an alien virus bomb hit New York that caused spontaneous radical mutation. The virus's effects (which slowly spread across the globe since the virus is airborne) were categorized in a system based on playing cards; 90% of victims drew the Black Queen (they died), 9% drew the Joker (they mutated into deformed creatures) and 1% drew an Ace (they remained normal-looking and got some kind of superpower). There are also in-betweeny categories, such as Jokers with superpowers and Aces with useless powers (like growing bodyhair at will). As one would expect from a game whose timeline starts in the late 40s, Jokers became the new blacks and were forced to live sequestered from the rest of New York in a ghetto called Jokertown, while Aces had a brief heyday with a well-known team of superheroes before being stigmatized during the McCarthy era; as things stand today, life is only marginally less wretched for the average Joker, and anonymity is any Wildcarder's best friend.
All in all it's a well thought-out alternate reality setting, using real historical figures and taking a realistic approach to mature themes (like violence and sex)... not much of a surprise, considering one of the co-creators is George R.R. Martin.

In our RPG group I'm the GM for any of the Warhammer 40.000 games, which can be pretty damn cool if you're into the setting. I haven't played Rogue Trader myself, since nobody was interested in gritty versions of Han Solo, but Dark Heresy (wherein you play an acolyte of the Inquisition) allows for wonderfully varied roleplay somewhere between detective work, dark tales of suspense and exciting combat. Black Crusade serves as a kind of dark mirror to DH, casting your players in the roles of a warband of Chaos worshippers and renegades, and is also very good. Deathwatch can be a lot of fun as well, but make sure your group is into Space Marines if you want to go for this one; since Space Marines are somewhat set in their mannerisms, the roleplay is somewhat constricted, but the action is still cool. The game system is a variation of the standard d100, and the books offer detailed descriptions, pictures and tables galore with good order and structure.

Another good one is Unknown Armies. If you're into mindfuckery, this is the game for you! Your players take the roles of plain human being, avatars or magical adepts.
Human beings can navigate their way through plots without powers and disadvantages connected to those powers. Avatars draw their powers from conforming to an archetype present in the collective subconscious of the world (e.g. the Mother, the Messenger, the Warrior, the Merchant, the Child, the Fool etc.). Magical adepts can perform magic connected to their specific school in the Underground; basically, these people are completely insane and believe so strongly and obsessively in their demented version of reality that they actually make it come true. For example, Dipsomancers know that the truth is found at the bottom of a bottle... they're basically telekines who draw their power from getting (and remaining) plastered, with a higher state of inebriation resulting in the ability to perform ever stronger feats of magic.
The plots are mostly based around mystery, intrigue and intersecting/overlapping layers of reality and range from anywhere between werid and madmadmadmadmadmadmadmaaaaaaaaad. Again, this is the game for you if you enjoy a good mindfuck.

The last game I'd like to recommend is The Laundry. You play as an agent of the titular secret British government organization tasked with regulating paranormal/extradimensional activity on Earth and making sure the Ancient Ones can't grab a foothold in our reality. Think Men In Black with a Lovecraft spin, spiced with a hefty dose of bureaucracy and dry British humour.

Mar 30, 2010
Desert Punk said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Ranorak said:
Look up Dark Ages: Vampire in that case. It uses the same rules and clans of VtM but is set in medieval Europe. Rather than hiding from sight and pretending to be human as they do in VtM, the vampires of Dark Ages revel in their dark gifts and rule over villages of terrified peons as undying lords.

On a different tack, as you mentioned 3.5, our DM recently started running an <a href=http://privateerpress.com/iron-kingdoms>Iron Kingdoms campaign which is quite entertaining and a nice change from the standard D&D settings.
Iron Kingdoms is an AMAZING setting, I completely forgot about this one. I would give it a hearty +1 as well.

Also another favorite I didnt consider, if you like Sci-fi based RPGs, check out Traveller. Only game I have played where your character can get killed and disfigured in the character generation section.
Traveller? There's a game I haven't thought of in a while. I think we did try and set up a game, but my overriding memory of that game is of reading the ship design section and having my brain melt.

On the Sci-Fi front I'd stick <a href=http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/rpgs/paranoia.html>Paranoia up for consideration. The thing for me with Paranoia is that it can be played either in an over-the-top slap-stick method which leads to absolute hilarity, or it can be played seriously and darkly Orwellian, which brings out very tense games that are, aptly, full of paranoia.

Reikhardt

Nov 17, 2010
If your table is made up of role-first players, I'd say go FATE. I've had this idea sitting around for a game set in the Mass Effect universe using the Diaspora version of the FATE engine. If you're looking more for pulp action, try Spirit of the Century. If you don't know, they just released FATE Core, which has the essence of the engine and you can tweak from there. The system is ludicrously simple and incredibly flexible.

For straight out-the-box system/setting joy, I'd recommend Legend of the Five Rings, and strongly recommend getting the 4th edition rules if only becaused 3rd ed was so painfully poorly organized.

Your mileage may vary on this one, but for White Wolf titles, I do recommend NWoD over OWoD. OWoD had some -very- swingy dice mechanics that actually made it more difficult to succeed the better you got at a task, and eventually strangled itself to death with its own metaplot. NWoD has the distinction of there actually being a book for the core system, with all of the other stuff as (admittedly larger) splatbooks--you don't have to pick up anything on vampires, mages, werewolves, purple people eaters, or anything else to take NWoD and make a game of it. Although I do highly recommend their Hunter: The Vigil, Changeling: The Lost, and Slasher supplements if you're looking to actually run a horror game. Hunter for some base rules and to let the players feel a little empowered, Slasher to expand on those rules and give them a monster genuinely worth fighting, and Changeling because Changeling is absolutely 100% distilled essence of genius.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Reikhardt said:
If your table is made up of role-first players, I'd say go FATE. I've had this idea sitting around for a game set in the Mass Effect universe using the Diaspora version of the FATE engine. If you're looking more for pulp action, try Spirit of the Century. If you don't know, they just released FATE Core, which has the essence of the engine and you can tweak from there. The system is ludicrously simple and incredibly flexible.
I actually ran that game myself... Mass Effect using FATE, though I went with Bulldogs: Sci Fi That Kicks Ass rather than Diaspora. It did turn me off of FATE but that's entirely personal, when it worked it really worked and we did get through the entire campaign.

For the OP I'd like to throw Mouseguard into the ring, it's not a "years long" campaign game necessarily but it is a BRILLIANT play experience. I'd recommend getting the Boxed Set as the Conflict Cards, Weapon Cards, GM Screen and New Rules Supplement make it much easier to play. Especially the combat cards.

On the Sci-Fi Front my group has been enjoying the new Edge of The Empire Star Wars RPG from Fantasy Flight, it would also work for a Firefly style game as the Star Wars Elements could easily be stripped out and renamed as it's all about the smugglers, bounty hunters and other assorted near-do-wells making their less than legal livings away from the comforts of civilized space. Big downside is that it uses Custom Dice, they're very fun in play but they're hard to come by, every game store in my city and Amazon are currently "out of stock", also they give you about 2/3rds of the dice you actually need per set.

If you want to try something more fringe one of my all time favorite games is Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies, a game about Airships and Musketeers in a world of floating islands where each island represents a different musketeer trope (There are different island nations embodying the "virtues" of Love, Honour, Wealth, Might, Intrigue, Reputation and Freedom). It uses a system called The Prose Descriptive Qualities System which involves utilizing the "Qualities" that define your character rather than specific skills or classes (So rather than having a +6 in Swords you'd be a "Famed Fencer" or "Scion of the Scarnetti Sword School" at Master (+6) Level). This one also isn't great for super long campaigns but is really great for shorter campaigns (Around 10 Sessions or what have you). The basic rules are also free, just look up PDQ Sharp (PDQ#) on RPG Now, though in order to get the Seven Skies Setting with its awesome world and fun magic you need the Swashbucklers of the Seven Skies book.

snappydog

Sep 18, 2010
A question: how do you get into this kind of stuff? I played a bit of D and D with some uni friends but they've left now... Is there any way of playing these kind of games (which I'd really love to do more of) without needing.. well, friends? Sounds sad, but I don't think anyone I know would be up for it, or not enough to make a good game of it anyway. Plus I'd have no idea where to start with getting the books and stuff...

Scorched_Cascade

Innocence proves nothing
Sep 26, 2008
Dark Heresy: GrimDork, 40k, lethal setting using the easy 1d100 mechanics (roll under your stat). Combat is this game is Lethal. I nearly accidentally killed one of my players within 5 minutes of starting the game I was running by rolling too well XD

Paranoia: Goofy, fun game about a dystopian world where everything is treason and your characters are trying to achieve their own goals for their secret societies (membership of secret societies is treason. Treason is punishable by death) in conflict with the party's goal. The party's goal being set by an insane computer and may be contradictory. Suggesting friend computer is insane is treason. Treason is punishable by death. Characters WILL die, luckily you start with a set of clones.

Dungeonworld/Apocalypseworld: Narrative driven games, the game world is made up by the players at character generation with some help from the gm. Dungeon land is fantasy and apocalypse is post-apocalyptic. If you go look up ItmeJP on youtube, his R+D Rollplay series just got done with an apocalypse world game and are now starting a Dungeon World campaign if you wanted to see how these worked.

snappydog said:
A question: how do you get into this kind of stuff? I played a bit of D and D with some uni friends but they've left now... Is there any way of playing these kind of games (which I'd really love to do more of) without needing.. well, friends? Sounds sad, but I don't think anyone I know would be up for it, or not enough to make a good game of it anyway. Plus I'd have no idea where to start with getting the books and stuff...
You could try heading over to roll20 (it's like a virtual tabletop) and checking the LFG listings.

https://app.roll20.net/lfg/

Search for a game you'd want to play, in a timeslot convenient for you, join them, profit :D

You play over the roll20 site with, very likely, a voice client like Skype and a group call.

Failing that you could use the same site to run your own campaign and recruit players for it, if you had the desire and know how for your setting.

Rogue 9

I, Jedi
Jun 22, 2008
The two games I'm playing in at the moment are The Secrets of Zir'An and 7th Sea. Both of these games are physically out of print but are available through drivethruRPG.com.

Secrets of Zir'An is set in a world seemingly abandoned by its Gods, where various nations stand (mostly) united against others ruled by power beings of Shadow Magic. The technology of the world has advanced to about an early 1900s level, so there are cars, trains, planes and radio, although prior to the Endwar 3000 years ago (when the Gods left) the world was far more advanced. People also draw on the remaining essence of the Gods to use rune magic, which can be used for all sorts of things from joining objects together and creating light to flying and speaking with spirits depending on the aptitude of the user. So yeah, the setting is pretty cool and can work for intrigue or warfare or Indiana Jones style adventures. My party in our current game have explored a highly advanced pre-Endwar research facility infested with monsters, been caught up in a hijacking of an airship and are currently trying to prevent a quasi-Arabian nation from falling into civil war as various forces try to disrupt the wedding of the nation's princess. Good times.

7th Sea is set in quasi-Europe and features all sorts of historical points of interest for the various nations smooshed up together for maxiumum fun times. You've got 'France' on the tipping point of revolution, 'England' with a new Queen on the throne after warring with 'France' to get independance back, 'Germany' tearing itself apart with warring city states, 'Italy' filled with intruige and assassinations, 'Spain' mostly occupied by 'France' and with a holy inquisition going a bit nuts, and so on... Add to this various pirates and secret societies and holy orders and such and you have rather dramatic backdrop for swashbuckling adventure, especially considering the system actively rewards you for doing things as flamboyantly and dramatically as possible.

So yeah, my two recommendations of the moment.

EDIT: Also on the topic of how to get started, if you have a local games shop, even if they don't directy sell RPG products it might be worth asking if they know of any groups that play. My city isn't huge but we have multiple game shops and there are games that get played at them regularly and people will put up fliers looking for people to join new games.

CrucibleofWords

Jan 14, 2014
I'd put another shout-out in for Paranoia, it is genuinely magnificent over-the-top setting, with its tongue so far in its cheek you have to laugh. And pass notes. Lots of notes! Even if they don't mean anything. And above all, trust Friend Computer. The Computer is your Friend... it says so in its name! Oh, and also, Happiness is Mandatory, Citizen. At base setting, the party is a group of troubleshooters each with specific roles (which they're not allowed to be briefed on) tasked by Friend Computer to do various things, with the previously mentioned secret societies conflicting agendas. But be warned, reading the rules is punishable by death. And FEAR those natural 20s...

If you're after something like Dragonball Z, look into Exalted. It's a combination of Dragon Ball Z, crossed with more Chinese thematics and a good dose of Kung Fu Hustle thrown in for good measure. And played straight, generally. You're playing a bunch of demigods, and get bonuses to rolls the more outrageous the moves are (dodging a punch from a mountain giant is a basic roll; backflipping onto the giant's arm using their hand as a point to push up from and then running up their arm to stab them in the ear with a glass slipper gets bonus dice). The mechanics take a while to get the hang of, but the concept is brilliant and the setting fantastic.

Shymer

Feb 23, 2011
snappydog said:
Like many people I joined a club at school, then after school, then continued that into University - dabbling with live-action. During that time I was meeting people who are interested in the same thing. Now I have many friends formed over that time, who have introduced me to more people who play that they've met at work... once you start, through networking, you can always find other people nearby with the same love of gaming, and the same problem of who to game with.

Now I'm not sure how I would start. Online is an adequate proxy for the experience round the table which does somewhat presuppose that you have friends who play (and the desire to play with them). You could push the boat out and look for RPG clubs near you. Where do you live? Hobby shops may have flyers or ads in the window or on a noticeboard - or know of people who play. Look for specialist RPG and game shops near you and ask them about clubs.

If there isn't one - test out your marketing skills, set up a club and advertise and see who you meet.

When I was younger, there was a plethora of magazines that supported the hobby. Nowadays I'm not so sure.