Pen-and-Paper RPGs you'd want to see video games of

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
Just what the title says - what role-playing games would you like to see get a video game made of them?

Personally, I have two I'd like to see.

First up - Shadowrun. Yes, I know; it's gotten a few games already (even if you count the latest one which the RPG's developers have said is Shadowrun in name only) but one based on the 4th edition of the rules, with current gaming tech behind it would be awesome.

The main problem with it would be that you'd have to have three worlds running simultaneously. The real world (which would have another half-a-world overlayed on it thanks to the prevalence of Augmented Reality in Shadowrun), the Matrix - not the thing from the movies, it's basically just the Internet 3.0 - and the Astral. And because of how the Matrix and Astral don't have to follow the laws of physics (or even Euclydian geometry) you'd have to design three whole worlds and have a way for events in one to affect things in another. So if a mage goes into the Astral and starts scouting around, the game would have to keep track of where his Astral form is and what he sees before he returns to his body. If a hacker uses a VR interface to go right into the Matrix, the stuff he does would have to affect things in the real world.

The Matrix wouldn't be overly hard - there's a HL2 mod that does something similar - but it would be on a much larger scale and sometimes a computer's internal space may look nothing like the one in the office cubicle next to it. A hacker might go into one and see bland, TRON-like architecture while the one he visits right after that might look like a tranquil, Japanese garden with the firewall represented by a kimono-wearing kitsune asking if you have permission to be there, while the next might be a street in Victorian London with a trace program represented by Sherlock Holmes.

It'd be a hell of an undertaking, but it'd be awesome if it could be pulled off.

The next one I'm thinking of is Exalted. Epic fantasy on a scale that would make Hercules feel like an act on Greece's Got Talent. There's even a pretty easy way to use a small number of campaign openings for almost every kind of Exalt, using something similar to what Dragon Age: Origins did with its Origin Stories. You design your character at first, choosing Exalt type and Caste and then pick from a couple of Origin stories and then you can play through your character's Exaltation.

For example, let's say you make a Dawn Caste Solar - the origin you choose could be something like you're a soldier in the army, maybe an officer. You're sent to deal with Wyld barbarians or maybe invading Fair Folk and at some point in the fight, you do some courageous act that causes you to Exalt as a Solar of the Dawn Caste where your newfound might leads the force to victory, but your men see you as a demon now (the Immaculate Order teaches that any Exalt other than a Dragon-Blooded is a demon) and you're forced to leave. Cue main campaign plot.

Now let's rewind and say you decided to go with a Dusk Caste Abyssal instead. This time, during the fight, your character is killed. They hear the voice of one of the Deathlords offering them new life and power and your character accepts and they come back to life in a few days time as an Abyssal.

We go for a third time, and this time you decide to go with a Slayer Caste Infernal. Now, during the fight - you lose your composure. You see the battle going badly and flee for your life. A few days later, you hear the voice of one of the Yozi offer you the power to never fail like that again and you accept. A demon appears, carrying the Exaltation and merges with you, becoming your chrysallis. Five days later, you break out as a Green Sun Prince, ready to aid the Yozi in freeing them from Malfeas.

Now for anyone not familiar with why all of these make sense - an Exaltation only bonds with a person if they have the will to use the power they recieve. If they die before Exalting, but have met the criteria, they can recieve an Abyssal Exaltation (a corrupted and inverted Solar Exaltation) from the Deathlords. If they fail at the critical moment of Exaltation, like losing their nerve or cursing at The Unconquered Sun for causing their death instead of praying to him to save their life, the Yozi offer them an Infernal Exaltation (a heavy corrupted and modified Solar Exaltation).

You could change the trigger in the scenario to something that matches the Exaltation they receive. Someone Exalting as a Lunar might have to survive hardship or work hard to protect someone they care about while a Sidereal may do something related to their Caste. Dragon-Blooded would probably start off Exalted since they normally Exalt somewhere in their early-mid teens.

The main problem I see with this is implementing the RPG's stunt bonus system. Basically, you get bonuses and regenerate motes of Essence (the magic used to power your supernatural abilities) by describing your action as awesomely as possible. If you just describe it as more than "I attack that guy with my sword" then you get a small bonus to the attack and a couple of motes of Essence back. If the description also uses some part of the environment, like ploughing through a wall to get at the enemy, you get a bigger bonus and more Essence back. If the description is so awesome that everyone at the table says "Holy shit!" or some other exclamation of awe and shock - something that the whole table can agree is ridiculously awesome - then you get an even bigger bonus and even more Essence back, or you can forgo the Essence and get experience points instead. How you'd get this system to work in a computer game, I don't know.

So what RPGs would you guys like to see hitting the shelves of EB Games and such? CthulhuTech? All Flesh Must Be Eaten? Maybe Feng Shui for a bit of John Woo-style action?

Zoomy

Feb 7, 2008
Werewolf: The Apocalypse. What can I say, I love me oWod, and Vampire got two games, whereas the WTA game got cancelled (which does make me slightly relived, I heard they were planning on making the main character a White Howler. Feck that.)

Nah, a proper, Bloodlines style game would be awesome.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
I've heard that there's an oWoD MMO in the works. Gonna see if there's mention of it on wikipedia and edit this post with the links if I find anything.

EDIT: Here we go, I knew I wasn't imagining things: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_of_darkness#WoD_MMORPG

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Okay, I'm definitely in for Exalted. I want to be able to cheat the game big time without entering a code, 'CAUSE I'M EXALTED, BABY! That would rock as a video game. You could solve things with increasingly ludicrous choices and gain extra experience that way!

Also? Paranoia.

darth.pixie

Jan 20, 2011
Geist: Sin Eater. I think that there would be some very awesome effects with it. And the character creation would be complex enough what with choosing and role-playing your death.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Okay, I'm definitely in for Exalted. I want to be able to cheat the game big time without entering a code, 'CAUSE I'M EXALTED, BABY! That would rock as a video game. You could solve things with increasingly ludicrous choices and gain extra experience that way!
It'd still be worth cheating at least once if it has an open world like the Elder Scrolls and you decide to spawn the Five Metal Shrike next to you at the start of the game.

Also? Paranoia.
Dear god - that would be AWESOME!

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
Geist the Sin Eater.
I haven't gotten to play the game yet because my friends are much better at the humor/adventure/gold/treasure/traps/lololol aspects of pen n paper and I feel all of Geist's strengths are lost on us since of it's super big focus on awesome and role playing.
Maybe I can mitigate these worries with a more open ended game concept and bring in other characters to convey serious business to them...

But I digress, amazing concept.
The art in the underworld would be phenomenal, with the rivers and the tableau, and the Kerberos.
I can just imagine the difficulty of integrating the Bone Yard and the pay off of using the industrial key in an old abandoned factory or scrap yard.

Layz92

May 4, 2009
A Deadlands game would be interesting. Alchemy, Shamanism, Steampunk, Wild-West gunslinger, Sorceror, Priesty goodness,

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
"Paranoia" and "Don't Rest Your Head", though I doubt the latter is possible to make into a game.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
One other game I had in mind that I didn't put in the OP (which was getting much longer than I expected with just Exalted and Shadowrun) was Iron Kingdoms. It's the setting used for Warmachine and Hordes, a pair of tabletop wargames from Privateer Press. A while ago they made it a campaign setting for DnD 3.5 but hasn't been supported in ages.

Anyway, they announced at one stage that they're going to make their own system for the RPG and bring it back, mainly because Wizards of the Coast have stopped publishing DnD 3.5 and Privateer don't want to shift it over to 4e or Pathfinder. No idea when that'll be out, but I hope they make an Iron Kingdoms RPG for the computer sometime after they release it.

I know there's a Warmachine video game in the works (very early gameplay footage was shown at Gen Con 2010), but I want an RPG, not a squad-based action game. Mind you, I probably will get the Warmachine game when it comes out because who doesn't like taking control of a 10'+ tall warjack and wrecking shit?

Googenstien

Jul 6, 2010
Car Wars!

Also, there are still plenty of great D&D worlds to bring into gaming. Its sad that in an era of gaming and RPGs.. there has not one good D&D game out for years.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
Call Of Cthulhu.

...I mean a real one. Not that farce called a game. It'd really be like LA: Noire with sanity effects.

lordlillen

Nov 18, 2009
i dont undestand what you mean by pen aad paper does DnD count if so i would love a mutant game, walking around a destroyed world with your robot buddy and two meter tall four armed grizzly.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
lordlillen said:
i dont undestand what you mean by pen aad paper does DnD count if so i would love a mutant game, walking around a destroyed world with your robot buddy and two meter tall four armed grizzly.
Pen and paper just means any RPG that isn't on a computer. I was worried that if I just said "RPG" then people might get confused about whether I was talking about computer RPGs (Fallout, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age, etc) or tabletop RPGs like DnD and such.

Googenstien said:
Car Wars!

Also, there are still plenty of great D&D worlds to bring into gaming. Its sad that in an era of gaming and RPGs.. there has not one good D&D game out for years.
Yeah, I'm disappointed that all Eberron got was the MMO which was all set in Xen'drik. I want a skycab chase through Sharn, damn it! Give me the political intrigue of Khorvaire over jungles anyday. And why'd they leave Changelings and Shifters out? Fair enough if they couldn't get the former's shape changing stuff right but I don't see why Shifters were left out.

Planescape only got one game (a bloody awesome one, granted) and that was a long time ago. I'd want to see Sigil rendered with current-gen graphics - be able to look straight up and see the other side of the city high above me. Although Wizards of the Coast didn't give it much support from what I hear - last time it got any real sourcebooks was back in the days of 2nd edition when DnD was still owned by TSR. I think the most it got in 3rd was a few mentions in a sourcebook or two and I doubt they'll bring it back for 4th edition.

On another matter - I just remembered another impediment to an Exalted video game. Training time. Sure, it's fine for a Storyteller of a normal game of Exalted to let a few months or so pass between sessions for the characters to learn new Charms, spells or just increase their stats a bit with the experience they've built up, but taking three weeks out of an adventure to learn a Charm wouldn't be all that fun in a computer game.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
I'd love a game based on Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader. All Warhammer 40K ever gets is Space Marines slicing Orks, while there is so much more to do in that setting.

A game based on the new World of Darkness would also be nice. I'm dreaming of a Vampire game with more focus on social interactions than combat, wherein you start as a fledgling and make your way up to Primogen or Prince. Geist and Changeling sound like fun concepts, too, although I don't know much about them beyond the basic premise.

ShadowFighter15

Jul 11, 2009
plugav said:
I'd love a game based on Dark Heresy or Rogue Trader. All Warhammer 40K ever gets is Space Marines slicing Orks, while there is so much more to do in that setting.

A game based on the new World of Darkness would also be nice. I'm dreaming of a Vampire game with more focus on social interactions than combat, wherein you start as a fledgling and make your way up to Primogen or Prince. Geist and Changeling sound like fun concepts, too, although I don't know much about them beyond the basic premise.
Didn't think of Dark Heresy, but I agree with you on it. Hell, even if they just made a game based on the Eisenhorn Trilogy I'd play it (though how they'd do that alien world where the angles of the hexagonal tiles and such added up to more than 360-degrees, I dunno - the whole point of how unnerving that was was from those angles being physically impossible).

There's that much of the Imperium that they've never touched - all we've really seen in Dawn of War and such have been worlds that are either uninhabitted (or very sparsely habited), at our level of urban expansion, or a hive city. And a Forge World if you count where Space Marine is going to be set. Let's see some agri-worlds, resort worlds, deathworlds! Stick us down in the jungles of Catachan! Although if you did use Catachan then you'd probably get people whinging about it being too hard.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
ShadowFighter15 said:
There's that much of the Imperium that they've never touched - all we've really seen in Dawn of War and such have been worlds that are either uninhabitted (or very sparsely habited), at our level of urban expansion, or a hive city. And a Forge World if you count where Space Marine is going to be set. Let's see some agri-worlds, resort worlds, deathworlds! Stick us down in the jungles of Catachan! Although if you did use Catachan then you'd probably get people whinging about it being too hard.
Personally, I dream of exploring a hive world, but a living one - not one under siege. Acting as Inquisitor of the Ordo Hereticus, you search for heresy among scum and nobility alike, aided by your faithful entourage of psykers, Tech-priests, Arbites, etc. Are you pure and faithful yourself? Or do you balance on the dangerous path of the Radical?

EMO_of_LiGHT

Jan 25, 2009
I've been hoping for some nWoD video games. I can only recall a few based of of oWoD (two made out of Vampire and a few more based on Hunter, I think) and the 5x5 systems of most of the nWoD would translate to vg form quite smoothly I believe. Any individual game from nWoD could very well translate into a first person RPG akin to VtM: Bloodlines, but with current gen tech the role playing experiance could be greatly enhanced and made unique depending on which game it was based on. Not that much of what I'm suggesting wasn't possible before, but now games have enough power to run a lot more features a lot smoother and can thus become more immersive.

For example, adding a day/night cycle to a Vampire the Requiem game would introduce the need to find shelter from the light when the day comes, and aso cause the players Blood Points to decrease every time they rest, causeing more presure to feed (Bloodlines was in a state of perpetual night, so no one had to deal with these things). A similar system in a Werewolf game could also be apllied. The cycle of the moon would have an effect on the players character depending on their Auspice, as well as having an effect on NPC behavior. The moon could give out bonuses to all characters, but the ones who benefit the most would be the ones who's Auspice matches the phase the moon is currently in. For example, a player with a Rahu character might wait for a full moon before attempting a particularly difficult mission so their physical characteristics have a boost, were as an Irraka character would probably rather try during the new moon when stealth is a more optimal build. Again, a similar system in a Hunter game could produce different gameplay. With Hunters, the cycles would determine enemy behavior. Vampires are best attacked during daylight hours, but if there is no option other than to fight at night then you can try to lure the creature to an open area close to sunrise. The AI could also know the cycle, and may attempt to flee if it senses dawn approaching. When hunting Werewolves, on the other hand, researching your prey before hand can tell you it's behavior patterns across the different moon phases and when is the best time to strike. But waiting too long could cause your target to change locations, or worse...

Add in a base building mechanic to maitain and upgrade your various bases, VtR's Havens for example. Let's say that the player starts the game with a single Haven, the state of which can be determined at character creation based on how many of their Merit points they sink into it. Someone who puts a lot of points into their starting Haven would have more room to store items, have it moved to a more opportune location, or provide better security than the Haven of a player that spent less initially, but they would have fewer Merits at the start of the game. Then they can put time into improving the quallity of that Haven and acquire other Havens across the city for easier access. The Haven may become damaged over time, let's say that a thunderstorm nocks out the power, or a fire hits that area of the city, or you get robbed. Haveing a high Haven security may decease the risk of such events occuring, but you'll need to keep up some maitenence if you want everything to run smoothly. This kind of system applies to all of the games (including Promethean, just because you constantly travel doesn't mean you can't have safehouses scattered around the world) and would add a more viable need for economy rather then just buying and selling trousers, but the gameplay benefits to maitaining them would make them more worthwile than a system that just dumps more cash into your account like in Assasin's Creed.

Those are just a few systems that could be implemented into a game to make it more immersive. But a WoD game doesn't have to be limited to just baseing itself off one tabletop game. They could just as easily make a tacticle top-down RPG using the whole world as a base rather than just one book. The systems are similar enough that you could very well have a Mage, a Promethean and a Changeling partying up to go smoke out an infestation of Pandorans that found it's way into town. Each game would provide what would basically ammount to a race, with classes being the Clans for Vampires, Auspices for Werewolves, Paths for Mages, Lineages for Prometeans, Seemings for Changelings, and Thresholds for Sin-Eaters. Yes, tweaking would have to be done to make it work as a video game, but name me one table top game whos rule translated EXACTLY across the mediums.

Other than that, I'd also like to see a 4th Edition D&D video game. It's been out for a good while now and the new rules would translate better than ever. Just please, no more Forgotten Realms games, please. I love that setting as much as the next guy, but it has been done so many times allready. Try something else, like maybee Dark Sun, or even better, come up with a new world to explore. Yes, that means you need to do more work devising the lore, but writers need to eat too!