Pen & Paper (Tabletop) RPG Advice for the Completely Inexperienced

Serioli

Mar 26, 2010
If pennies are tight, FATE [http://www.evilhat.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=79&products_id=223&zenid=rc4t3om2fjndh7j6sd9emn4s52] is a free, (or pay what you want), system that has received some praise.

Whichever system you go with, if you are all going to learn it together it can an idea to start off by cycling the GM (the one running the game). I don't mean a new one each week but have each person, (who is interested), run an adventure. This has the bonuses of finding those who have a knack for it but maybe didn't think they would, giving everyone a chance to see what happens running & playing and introducing styles of game that might be missed.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
thedoclc said:
First, I recommend finding a group which already plays and joining them.
This. And also, you might even consider just watching for a session or two if they'll let you. Sometimes it's better to jump in, but it depends on your comfort zone.

Most of the games I'd mention have been mentioned. I'm just going to mention Mutants and Masterminds. MnM is a modified D20 system that is very simplistic. The hardest part is character creation (I find new people find point buy systems overwhlming), but there's pre-made characters in several of the books, and I think some on Green Ronin's site, too.

Though maybe superheroes ain't for you.
I have mentioned this before but another shameless plug for charity and gaming goodness is not amiss. Bundle of Holding [http://bundleofholding.com/index/current]. Go there. For about $20 USD you can get the entire Mutants and Masterminds set while kicking a few dollars off to charity. The offer changes every few days and as such is worth signing up for. For less than $20 USD, I've picked up such gems as Ars Magicka complete, FATE bundles, Delta Green, Traveler, Dying Earth, Stars Without Number, and assorted other goodness. The orders are fulfilled through DriveThruRPG.com with no DRM and unlimited downloads.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thedoclc said:
I have mentioned this before but another shameless plug for charity and gaming goodness is not amiss. Bundle of Holding [http://bundleofholding.com/index/current]. Go there. For about $20 USD you can get the entire Mutants and Masterminds set while kicking a few dollars off to charity. The offer changes every few days and as such is worth signing up for. For less than $20 USD, I've picked up such gems as Ars Magicka complete, FATE bundles, Delta Green, Traveler, Dying Earth, Stars Without Number, and assorted other goodness. The orders are fulfilled through DriveThruRPG.com with no DRM and unlimited downloads.
Yeah, I bought the bundle like 30 seconds after it went live. Finally replacing my lost collection.

william12123

Oct 22, 2008
Welcome to the wonderful world of TRPGs! I started almost a year ago, and I have been consumed by it since.

Now, for an initial system, I will reccomend (as many others) "Dungeon world". Why?

1) CHeap. 10 bucks for the PDF. Plus, it plays almost entirely with six-sided die, which many people already have.
2) Simple: not too much book-keeping, straigtforward (if over-simplified) system, no choice paralysis.
3) Good GM advice: what I liked the most about this was the GM advice it gave. It gave an excellent overview of good pratices for anyone wanting to run a gun, oodles better than what I saw for D&D, pathfinder & others.

However, for your time constraint question: that is ENTIRELY up to you. I've had game that have gone from 2 to 6 hours in a same system. This isnt a board game; you have tremendous flexibility in how the game is run, so it's all up to you.

Other systems I have enjoyed:

1) Pathfinder: on the "high-complexity" edge of the spectrum, it is very special to me because of how unique you can make a character mechanically. It's one of the few games I know where building a character is as interesting as playing one.
2) Warhammer fantasy Roleplay 2ed: This is a killer game. The game is built around the warhammer fanatasy world, which is a dangerous one. But, the system is very straigtforward in most cases, the rules are thorough without being overly complex.

In the end however, this is what I believe should be your number 1 rule:

-Have fun! This should always be kept in mind, and many people simply do not find TRPGs fun, or find their fun tainted by a number of issues.

TRPGs are leisure, and many things can cause issues:
-Personality conflicts between players
-Differing expectations (example: GM want a story-based adventure, when players (or a fraction of players) want hack & slash)

Anyways, there are a bunch of blogs & such about good GM-ing, & such. I reccomend the following blog; it's built mainly for pathfinder, but the guy who runs it has a number of articles on gaming in general.

http://zenithgames.blogspot.ca

Have fun!

Edit: and if you want to learn with others, by playing with another group, check out this site:

app.roll20.net

Because of my irrugular situation, it is hard to have a gaming table. I rely on playing with folks online (through roll20). There are dozens of games advertised, in over a dozen systems, so try it out if you lack the ability to find an RL group.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
regalphantom said:
In a recent discussion with my roommates it came up that none of us had any experience with pen and paper RPGs (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) but that we were all kind of interested in trying one. Unfortunately, as none of us have any experience none of us know where to start. So I turn to the internet to solicited suggestions. What would you recommend as a good starting RPG for a group that has never tried anything like it before? Ideally, it would be something in an easy to get into setting, ideally fantasy (since it seems to be where the expections are) and be the type of game where we can have our fun and finish in a 2-4 hour sitting (as attention spans and time constraints can make things tight).

I know this isn't a ton to go on, but if you have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate them.
What sort of experience do you want?

For something heavily storytelling in nature, I'd suggest something FATE based (generic system, but there are some pre established worlds like Dresden Files).

For something that plays more like a video game D&D 4th is pretty good (the detractors don't hate it for what it is, they hate it because it fails at running the type of games they always did with D&D).

Pathfinder is the current system for a more classic D&D experience, lots of combat but some flexibility do actually do things outside of combat that's more along the lines of classic D&D (since it's kindof, actually classic D&D, hooray open source). It's also got incredible first party support for premade adventures, which might be a good idea first time out.

In terms of time constraints, I *strongly* recommend a map, combat will go waaaay faster. This doesn't need to be complex, I just use a blank grid that I can draw on with dry erase markers and various tokens pulled from boardgame, no minifigs or complex scenery required. That can be cool and all if you're in to making those things, but the important part is that players need to be able to see what's going on because the game slows down when people have to ask the GM what's going on. Read the system you decide on before picking a map, I wouldn't use that setup for say, a FATE game, because FATE is based on zones, not a grid, so I'd probably just use a blank board to make my shitty dry erase drawings.

Blaze the Dragon

Jan 8, 2010
Personally, I love Pathfinder, and it's pretty great for new players as well. First of all, the cost to play is virtually $0.00. Their official website: http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ Basically contains all the rules of the game, as well as a lot of the other various books for more complicated stuff, but basically all you need is to look at the core rulebook and maybe the bestiaries for when you're just starting. If you explore the site a little bit, you'll find that they have rules for a bunch of varient races and classes, as well as a bunch of other non-combat related stuff like Character Downtime and Kingdom Building.

If you want a tabletop to play on but can't afford a mat and dice (although that's still pretty cheap so I'd recommend going to a local game store and picking it up) there's always Roll20.net . You can use it for free by just setting up a quick account and it's basically an online tabletop interface that can be accessed by multiple users and a set GM for each game. It includes a grid (or hex), chat box, Dice roller, initiative tracker, etc. Basically everything you need to play almost any tabletop game, regardless of whether you're using Pathfinder, D&D, Warhammer, etc. It's also great for playing with friends online as it's all browser-based, and you can just talk through skype. However, for a more classic feel, I'd still recommend getting a mat and some figures to play with. Just pick up a mat that you can use some erasable markers on and a bag with some random figures (Me and my friends still sometimes use random dice or junk on the ground as our figures sometimes...) and you're good to go.

And of Course there's Character sheets. You can print them out, again for a more classic feel, but if you don't feel like messing about with actual pens and paper for your pen and paper RPG, I recommend Myth-Weavers (http://www.myth-weavers.com/forumhome.php) Again, it's free just set up an account. Basically it lets you make digital character sheets for a variety of systems, including most of the common ones I'd expect you to be playing if you're new. It also does a lot of the calculations for you in most systems (Like in D&D it calculates your carrying capacities automatically, among other things) and can be accessed from anywhere, so it's a good companion to Roll20.net for playing online if you need to.

In terms of actually playing the game, I'd recommend going through the core rules of Whatever system you choose, (like say Pathfinder) and make a few basic classes of a low level, (Or look up some pre-built ones online) then try putting together some combats and see how it works. You can start out maybe making characters and just fighting each other and seeing who wins, just to get used to the rules and how the game works, as well as the feel of the various classes to get a good idea as to how it works. Once you get a handle on that, you're going to need a GM, which can be hard if both the players and the GM are all new to the game. If possible, it's best to try and find someone already experienced with the game willing to run one for you. If you can't manage that, there are pre-built modules that basically are professionally designed adventures that handles what all the combats and plotlines will be for you, and the GM only needs to manage things and tell the story to the player. A very common thing to do is start out with a module and then start branching out with Custom Content.

There's also a bunch of websites and other online resources that can give suggestions on playing the game, like the Pathfinder Subreddit among other things.

thedoclc

Jun 24, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
thedoclc said:
Yeah, I bought the bundle like 30 seconds after it went live. Finally replacing my lost collection.
Well then, I'm sure you know why I spread the word.

plugav

Mar 2, 2011
Thunderous Cacophony said:
plugav said:
Clowndoe said:
Easy-peasy: Dungeon World.
Haven't actually played this one, but if it's anywhere near as good as the original Apocalypse World, then you can't lose.
I wouldn't recommend either of those for a first-time GM/MC; it takes a bit of learning to figure out how to use a hard move in a narratively interesting way, rather than as accidental punishment. I really love AW (in fact, I'm writing up a cyberpunk hack for it) but it's not something for a first timer to run. On the other hand, if there is a good MC to run it for them, I can't recommend it enough.
I get your point, especially considering how brutal the game world is intended to be. However, my impression was that the way "hard moves" (and GM-ing in general) are described is specifically meant to prevent the sort of random malice that I've come to half-expect from a game master. I mean, one of the most basic rules stated in the Master of Ceremonies chapter is: "Be a fan of the player characters." Those guidelines seem more important and useful to a beginner than the usual rules or storytelling chapters you find in older games.

Plus, the book's short and cheap. ;)

The one problem I do see with Apocalypse World is that it's not well adjusted to one-shots. (But maybe Dungeon World is? No idea.)

DrOswald

Apr 22, 2011
My first advice is don't take the rules too seriously. The worst part of any game night is when there is a rules argument. Just make something up for the moment and come back to it later. Change rules if you don't like them. Add rules if you think it is needed.

Remember the rule of cool and rule of fun. Basically, if it is cool or fun let it happen. Nothing is more boring than a GM that says that "you can try jumping on the dragons back and stabbing it in the head, but you are going to take all sorts of penalties so you might as well not." Give the players a chance to stretch and be creative.

Take liberties with character creation. Especially if you use DnD 3.5, also known as "why would I ever play anything but a wizard?" Especially be flexible about respecing - sometimes a player will have an idea of what they wanted to do and it just doesn't turn out very fun for them. Don't insist they keep on playing a broken or boring character.

The game table needs to be a judgement free zone. Everyone needs to feel comfortable about stepping out of their comfort zone when role playing.

The GM is not the enemy of the player. Don't act like it.

All you really need to play a RPG is a notepad and a pencil or pen. Even dice are optional, but I would recommend having them. When I run a game I usually draw the map as I go on a sheet of copy paper.

I see a lot of people recommending joining a previous group. That can work, but it sounds like you have a group of friends ready to go on this already. If you want to play together joining another group is not possible. DnD 4.0 core is a great place to start for the inexperienced. A solid, well defined rule system, easy and fun character creation, and ready to go adventuring modules are available. A bit pricey though. Frankly, you can make up a system if you would like. I always do when I run a game.

I would recommend listening to some podcasts of games being played to get a feel of how a game can be run. I can recommend some if you would like.

Jan 12, 2012
plugav said:
Thunderous Cacophony said:
I wouldn't recommend either [Apocalypse World or Dungeon World] for a first-time GM/MC; it takes a bit of learning to figure out how to use a hard move in a narratively interesting way, rather than as accidental punishment. I really love AW (in fact, I'm writing up a cyberpunk hack for it) but it's not something for a first timer to run. On the other hand, if there is a good MC to run it for them, I can't recommend it enough.
I get your point, especially considering how brutal the game world is intended to be. However, my impression was that the way "hard moves" (and GM-ing in general) are described is specifically meant to prevent the sort of random malice that I've come to half-expect from a game master. I mean, one of the most basic rules stated in the Master of Ceremonies chapter is: "Be a fan of the player characters." Those guidelines seem more important and useful to a beginner than the usual rules or storytelling chapters you find in older games.

Plus, the book's short and cheap. ;)

The one problem I do see with Apocalypse World is that it's not well adjusted to one-shots. (But maybe Dungeon World is? No idea.)
Dungeon world can be a decent one-shot if you know that's the plan going in (like most other games).

The MC Chapter is great, and I'd definitely recommend that OP read at least that to get a good idea of how to play with the characters rather than against them, but the game itself is not good as the start of an RPG career for an MC, unless you're a really quick learner and don't mind making a lot of mistakes.

And to be honest, I think that the old-fashioned DM advice of other systems is probably more practical for starting out. A more rigid game like Dungeons and Dragons allow the players enough freedom to have fun while giving the DM a mound of books to reference if they don't know how to handle a situation. It's far easier to set an appropriate DC with a pass/fail condition than it is to come up with a hard choice or worse outcome for a 7-9 while acting under fire. As Vincent says himself in the MC chapter, there are a thousand ways to run a game, and Apocalypse World call for one specific style. Once a person has some experience being the master of a game, with the fiat to correct anything they like and the ability to explore the various styles of play to find out what it is about RPGs they enjoy, then they are ready to be a Master of Ceremonies and turn the game over to their players, setting themselves into a reactionary position and rolling with all the oddities that come with 2-5 different people gaining control over the fiction.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
thedoclc said:
Well then, I'm sure you know why I spread the word.
Amen and verily. It's a good site. I didn't really pay it much mind until recently, but I've got some good deals while still sending off some cash to charity.