people drive person to suicide for not drawing characters right.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
No one seems be talking about this but I think it's the lowest a fan base of anything has ever gotten

http://zamii070.tumblr.com/post/131577217912/im-going-to-sleep-forever-im-sorry-everyone-im

These tweets going into it a little bit more
https://twitter.com/GatorMusicInc/status/657422111896637440
https://twitter.com/GatorMusicInc/status/657447554829938688
https://twitter.com/GatorMusicInc/status/657445170976333824
https://twitter.com/GatorMusicInc/status/657454081703854080

I don't want this to turn into a sjw Bloodbath, It seems that fact seems up in the air on how much that had to do with it right now. what I want to talk about is this the point that our Internet culture has gone to? You draw a character a certain way, you get harassed to hell and the people who harassed you have the balls to say you deserved it when you commit suicide.

so what are your thoughts.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
People are quick to blame the net for this. While it makes this sort of thing easier, and allows bullies to find targets they'd not reach IRL, and gives them anonymity, bullying people to death is nothing new. A lot of people doing this via the net would likely be the same sorts doing it IRL, I'd have thought.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Lolita Style, The Best Style!
Jan 12, 2010
Stuff like this is why I'm of the opinion that driving someone to suicide should be considered first degree murder. It's not right that people get away with harassing someone until they commit suicide, this sort of thing needs a really harsh punishment, to make those who do the harassing think twice. If they're too stupid to think twice, put them in prison for life as an example to others that this kind of hateful bs is not okay.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime said:
Stuff like this is why I'm of the opinion that driving someone to suicide should be considered first degree murder. It's not right that people get away with harassing someone until they commit suicide, this sort of thing needs a really harsh punishment, to make those who do the harassing think twice. If they're too stupid to think twice, put them in prison for life as an example to others that this kind of hateful bs is not okay.
I wouldn't imagine that'd really work, I doubt the people involved expected the person to commit suicide, or tat they'd be caught.

Now, to punish them and make them personally not do it again, that makes sense, but if people don't want to grasp that actions have consequences, making examples of other people they don't personally know seems unlikely to help. Especially when the direct consequences are to someone they don't like.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
thaluikhain said:
A lot of people doing this via the net would likely be the same sorts doing it IRL, I'd have thought.
Not quite. I'm yet to meet an SJW in real life with enough guts to be so vocal about their bullshit the way they are on the internet.

If this is true, then those involved in the harassment should face jail time. SJW's are so quick to condemn everyone else for harassment and even wish for people to die, so the least they can do is not have double standards.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Well that makes me feel profoundly sad.
There's not much more I can say about it at the moment.

I suppose I would like more information than just a series of tweets and the Tumblr post.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
I doubt that online comments were the only thing pushed that person over the edge.
Seriously, something must have been very wrong with the person already.
Giving an online troll thew same sentence as Charles Manson is beyond stupid.

EDIT:
Checked her comments on her website.
Yup, she was taking anti depressants and her mom was apparently mentally abusing her (at least that's what she claimed).

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
HardkorSB said:
I doubt that online comments were the only thing pushed that person over the edge.
Seriously, something must have been very wrong with the person already.
Giving an online troll thew same sentence as Charles Manson is beyond stupid.
You'd be surprised, apparently the person in question here was handicapped, and there are cases of people with stable lives being driven to suicide over much less.

Well you have that on the one hand, on the other hand there are people who are provably innocent who have died in prison, or been executed for crimes they did not commit. Hell there have been people executed and who have served life sentences for crimes that never actually occurred. So... Yeah. Besides that you'd only have to throw the book at a few people for a large majority of others to realize that such a thing could happen to them.

On a side note, I'm trans so this particular story strikes harder for me than most. Too many trans, gay, and etc youths are driven to suicide by just this kind of online hate campaign.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Well, that's ONE way to get off Tumblr.

Not the best way, though.

Honestly, I've never been to the so-called SJW Tumblr, but just scratching the surface of the huge crock of drama behind this whole incident is enough to convince me to stay away for another twenty years.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Well you have that on the one hand, on the other hand there are people who are provably innocent who have died in prison, or been executed for crimes they did not commit. Hell there have been people executed and who have served life sentences for crimes that never actually occurred. So... Yeah. Besides that you'd only have to throw the book at a few people for a large majority of others to realize that such a thing could happen to them.
Yeah, you would ONLY have to destroy the lives of a few people in order to scare the rest into submission.
Sounds great, where do I sign up?

How about this:
If a person had depression and/or other mental issues, maybe a psychologist or whoever should strongly advise that person to stay off of social media when they're in their "down period" (or just stay off in general).
Seems like a better solution than throwing people in prison for writing mean sentences online.

May 28, 2015
There's no proof of anyone dying and no evidence of bullying, apart from one bad screenshot and a blog that looks made-up. Criticizing someone's work doesn't constitute for bullying anyway.

KyuubiNoKitsune-Hime

Jan 12, 2010
HardkorSB said:
Yeah, you would ONLY have to destroy the lives of a few people in order to scare the rest into submission.
Sounds great, where do I sign up?

How about this:
If a person had depression and/or other mental issues, maybe a psychologist or whoever should strongly advise that person to stay off of social media when they're in their "down period" (or just stay off in general).
Seems like a better solution than throwing people in prison for writing mean sentences online.
That sounds suspiciously like the "suck it up" defense. You know many people don't have the option of being absent from social media, it's becoming a necessary requirement for job seekers. It also doesn't take mental health problems for it to become possible to hound a person into committing suicide either, what it does take is concentrated and intentional harassment.

So don't want your life destroyed? Well then don't sit around on the internet being a hateful troll putting in far more effort than is reasonable to harass and doxx someone to the point where they feel their only recourse is to commit suicide. There are already laws against stalking and harassment for in person situations, if not making this applicable first degree murder, then classing online harassment, doxxing, and stalking as criminal offenses is at minimum what's necessary. The reason being is that harassing someone to the point of suicide isn't just "writing mean sentences online", it's a concerted effort to destroy someone, it's ruining, if not ending someone's life. So if a person goes out to ruin somebody's life, with the optimal situation being to get that person commit suicide, well then that action should ruin the perpetrators life. Other wise you're telling people that stalking and harassment are perfectly fine things to do to your fellow humans, which they most certainly are not.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
tf2godz said:
I don't want this to turn into a sjw Bloodbath
Lies.

Good to see someone getting GamerGate involved in one of those tweets. Clearly this is directly in their bailiwick, as yet another example of unethical gaming journalism. Don't we have a forum specifically for this? I know it's called "Games Industry Discussion" but if we're all being honest we know what it's for.

tf2godz said:
what I want to talk about is this the point that our Internet culture has gone to?
As always with shit like this I'm incredibly suspicious of Poes and manufactured outrage, but let's assume for the sake of a hypothetical that it IS real. I would imagine it falls into the same area of everyone else who was ever bullied/hounded online. We will see sympathy or scorn expressed depending on who it is and how much we like/hate that person or their personal politics. I find harassment and online bullying rather disgusting, but many members of this forum have cheerfully informed me that it's just a culture of over-sensitivity, so what do I know?

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
1981 said:
Criticizing someone's work doesn't constitute for bullying anyway.
There is a difference between criticizing a work because you think it could be genuinely improved vs being an asshole because you personally don't like/agree with it.[footnote]Not "you" as in you personally, "you" figuratively[/footnote]

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
If it's true then it's awful, but I would caution that there doesn't seem to be much in the way of confirmation yet. The twitter source especially comes across as very heavily slanted against tumblr, down to their handle. I would advise everyone to remain calm and not to leap to conclusions until more facts are verified.

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
That sounds suspiciously like the "suck it up" defense.
No, it sounds like "If something is driving you insane, stay away from it".

You know many people don't have the option of being absent from social media, it's becoming a necessary requirement for job seekers.
No, you don't need Facebook and Twitter to find a job, you need an internet connection.
Those are 2 different things.
Also, blocking is an option.
Also, making your account private is an option.
If they start doxxing you, there are already legal options available.

It also doesn't take mental health problems for it to become possible to hound a person into committing suicide either, what it does take is concentrated and intentional harassment.
I think it actually does.
A mentally sane person who has a proper grip on reality and their emotional state won't end their life because of internet comments.
I think that, and you might disagree with this, everyone who tries to commit suicide for whatever reason is not fully mentally sane.
Unless you become diagnosed with a terminal illness, seriously crippled, lose a family member or something like that, you don't get these thoughts without some sort of mental illness.

So don't want your life destroyed? Well then don't sit around on the internet being a hateful troll putting in far more effort than is reasonable to harass and doxx someone to the point where they feel their only recourse is to commit suicide. There are already laws against stalking and harassment for in person situations, if not making this applicable first degree murder, then classing online harassment, doxxing, and stalking as criminal offenses is at minimum what's necessary. The reason being is that harassing someone to the point of suicide isn't just "writing mean sentences online", it's a concerted effort to destroy someone, it's ruining, if not ending someone's life. So if a person goes out to ruin somebody's life, with the optimal situation being to get that person commit suicide, well then that action should ruin the perpetrators life. Other wise you're telling people that stalking and harassment are perfectly fine things to do to your fellow humans, which they most certainly are not.
I think you're very emotional about these things, too emotional for your own good.
What you should do is detach yourself and your personal experiences from this and think about it when you're calm and collected.
Otherwise, the solutions you will come up with will be extreme (such as charging people who comment on the internet with murder).
Also, in the internet age, what's the difference between stalking and just being a fan, especially when the person you're following is putting themselves and their work out there for others to view and judge?
Unless you're actually following the person in real life or hacking their accounts in order to get personal info, you're not a stalker.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I found this: http://tetratheripper.tumblr.com/
Apparently she's alive but she may have attempted suicide. It's not really evidence of anything, but neither was the original suicidal post. I hope it's true though.

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Adam Jensen said:
I found this: http://tetratheripper.tumblr.com/
Apparently she's alive but she may have attempted suicide. It's not really evidence of anything, but neither was the original suicidal post. I hope it's true though.
thank fuck, I looked at some of her art when this whole thing started. It would be shame to someone that talented to end their life like that. Thanks for the news

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Exhibit 3902 for why I hold many positions, but very very rarely take up with any kind of movement.

Too many assholes out there just want an opportunity to make other people feel shitty without seeming like the same kind of asshole as a more typical bully

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
HardkorSB said:
I think that, and you might disagree with this, everyone who tries to commit suicide for whatever reason is not fully mentally sane.
So today I learned from the internet that having depression is considered being insane. Cool.

Somehow I don't think you're an actually qualified psychologist though. Because you don't seem to have a clue what you're talking about.

With regards to the OP: I'm actually very saddened by the fact that it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that a group would throw a tantrum over something not being 'politically correct' and to drive the person responsible to attempt suicide. This is apparently the world we live in now... -_-