People leaving during a match in Halo Reach...

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I don't know about you, but this happens all to frequently for me. Nothing is more annoying to me than having half your team leave in the middle of a match, putting us at a huge disadvantage. This wouldn't be so bad if it only happened occasionally, but it happens almost every other match I've been in so far.

The worst part about this is the "punishment" for people who quit too many matches; no matchmaking for 15 minutes. Seriously? Bungie, 343 studios, or whoever the hell is running the online in this game needs to rethink their punishment policies. What do you guys think?

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
This happens in every game, its nothing new. FIFA seems to have a decent way of dealing with it though, give players a rating out of 5 stars, for their match leaving abilities, and only team certain ranks against each other.

BadassCyborg

Feb 2, 2010
I think you should stop whining, people have other things to do you know, and there's no point playing if its a lost-cause. Punishing players for not playing the game is retarded.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
This happens in every game, its nothing new. FIFA seems to have a decent way of dealing with it though, give players a rating out of 5 stars, for their match leaving abilities, and only team certain ranks against each other.
I guess, but it just seems to happen to me a lot more in Halo Reach than it does in other games which is especially strange with Halo Reach's experience system, where you can get exp. even if you lose the game.

Liberaliter

Sep 17, 2008
The worst part is, if someone leaves and your team starts doing badly, it causes a chain reaction where others on your team leave, leaving you alone for the rest of the match.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
scorptatious said:
The worst part about this is the "punishment" for people who quit too many matches; no matchmaking for 15 minutes. Seriously?
That is the problem of playing matchmaking, it's full of morons.

But, the 15min cool down is only Bungie's instant fix. Xbox live being run the way it is there is nothing more that they can do in the short term. You can file A-hole reports though.

However, word of God has it that Bungie are monitoring matchmaking for this kind of behaviour, repeat match droppers could be finding themselves removed from the pool on a more permanent basis.

#PS, Halo 2, 3 and CoD all suck(ed) for this as well, long live PC server admins!

GuerrillaClock

Jul 11, 2008
It seems to me like there are some server issues with some players. The reason I think it's this is because it only happens to me in Big Team Battle and you really don't gain anything by quitting, in fact you lose quite a lot of credits, so it's not as if the game doesn't discourage you from quitting.
Tin Man said:
In all respect, my first thought, honestly, is thats what you get for playing Halo. Completely ignoring my feelings about the game, the community it attracts is, in my experience vastly populated by immature pr0-wannabe crybabies. More so then most shooters.
So, in other words, you're not ignoring your feelings about the game. In any case, what you've said is untrue and inflammatory to the point of trolling.

scorptatious

May 14, 2009
Romidude said:
Wow, you're pathetic, people need to be punished for having a fucking life or being otherwise required to quit? Get real, man.
I can understand if you have to quit for these reasons. I'm just saying, it gets really annoying after a while.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
I like the bans for repeat quitters. It doesn't go overboard, but I can see it discouraging repeat offenders through irritation level at having their precious time pwning noobs reduced, even slightly. Sure, it's not much, but they're probably pathetic enough to care.

I've got no problem with people who actually have to go (though I always try and find an excuse to stay to the end of the match). People who just quit because they're losing, on the other hand, I'd like to burn.

Also, this doesn't happen nearly as much for me on Reach as it did in Halo 3. Like, I actually find it pretty rare now. Eh, must be my preferences.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009
I too have experienced my fair share of quitters that then screw up the balance of the game either by making it laggy as hell or seriously underbalanced.
But there is a quit ban in place that delivers a reasonably fair punishment to those who do so I'm not too worried.

One problem I have though is my connection which often disconnects me from Xbox Live halfway through a match, so I'm not really 'quitting' but I still get the negative backlash for something that really isn't my fault. That irks me a little.
Still, it's not a major issue.

Negatempest

May 10, 2008
You know, this could be easily fixed if Reach multiplayer had the ability to have people jump in and out very easily like so many FPS do nowadays. What is the downside to that? You lose half your team one second, just to have it jump back up to max the next?

j0frenzy

Dec 26, 2008
Yeah, it really annoys me to, especially since I favor objective games where unequal teams usual equates losing.
I get some people have other things to do or there internet service is lagging, it has happened to me to. But I've seen people leave because they didn't get the game variant they wanted, or because they lost a team member. Fuck, I played a game of headhunter last night with me against 4 people. It kind of really sucked.
I would like to see Bungie up the punishment a little. It seems like a good idea, but it also seems to be having relatively little effect.

Uncanny Doom

May 24, 2010
People quitting doesn't bother me until it drastically effects the fun of a game. In Halo's case, it really depends on the mode and the skill of the teams if a person or a few quitting will make it shitty. If I'm ever the last person on my team though, I quit. Why not? It's not going to be fun running around or hiding for five minutes trying to make a miraculous win that isn't going to happen against four, six, or eight people. This is also why you invite and play with friends who you know won't quit out.

Tin Man said:
In all respect, my first thought, honestly, is thats what you get for playing Halo. Completely ignoring my feelings about the game, the community it attracts is, in my experience vastly populated by immature pr0-wannabe crybabies. More so then most shooters.
Oh please, that sounds silly. All online communities have jackasses and immature idiots. It doesn't matter what game you are playing. It can be Halo, it can be Team Fortress, it can be Killzone, it doesn't even have to be a shooter. World of Warcraft, Street Fighter, Starcraft, ANY online game has the same people in it's community. To try to put one above or below another is just bias or generalizing your personal experience on behalf of everyone else.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
Negatempest said:
You know, this could be easily fixed if Reach multiplayer had the ability to have people jump in and out very easily like so many FPS do nowadays. What is the downside to that? You lose half your team one second, just to have it jump back up to max the next?
Wait wait wait, you can not be serious. Surely you jest about players not being able to join in the middle of a match?

Vrex360 said:
I too have experienced my fair share of quitters that then screw up the balance of the game either by making it laggy as hell or seriously underbalanced.
But there is a quit ban in place that delivers a reasonably fair punishment to those who do so I'm not too worried.

One problem I have though is my connection which often disconnects me from Xbox Live halfway through a match, so I'm not really 'quitting' but I still get the negative backlash for something that really isn't my fault. That irks me a little.
You, the resident alien scum with a penchant for killing humans! How true is what the other user I've quoted is saying?

Uncanny Doom

May 24, 2010
Alpha1089 said:
Negatempest said:
Wait wait wait, you can not be serious. Surely you jest about players not being able to join in the middle of a match?

Vrex360 said:

You, the resident alien scum with a penchant for killing humans! How true is what the other user I've quoted is saying?
LOL@the second quote response.

Players can't join Halo games mid-match. This has some problems but for the most part I can see why it's implemented. However in some cases, there should be mid-match joining. For example, in the lobby, which really isn't even DURING the match. When a vote goes through, that is usually when players quit, seeing a map or gametype they don't want to play. If someone quits in the lobby then it should restart matchmaking with that lobby and fill out the holes. Or in Invasion, which a game can take up to 24 minutes to finish (opposed to 5-8 minute Team Slayer games), it should REALLY let people join mid-game.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
I hate it most in Invasion. You lose one guy, you already lost the match.

I really have no solution to this. I just keep on playing and trying my best to get a lot of Cr. I really don't mind losing badly if I get +1000 Cr.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I generally only quit if my team is about 15-20 points down or has already lost 2 players. Otherwise it's silly not to keep playing. I think if you quit without those conditions in place there should be a credits penalty like in H3. But a heavier penalty.

You're right. It is hugely frustrating. Maybe the probation period needs to come into effect sooner.

Steppin Razor

Dec 15, 2009
D.A.N. said:
LOL@the second quote response.

Players can't join Halo games mid-match. This has some problems but for the most part I can see why it's implemented. However in some cases, there should be mid-match joining. For example, in the lobby, which really isn't even DURING the match. When a vote goes through, that is usually when players quit, seeing a map or gametype they don't want to play. If someone quits in the lobby then it should restart matchmaking with that lobby and fill out the holes. Or in Invasion, which a game can take up to 24 minutes to finish (opposed to 5-8 minute Team Slayer games), it should REALLY let people join mid-game.
I'm intrigued. What possible reason could they have to implement such a thing? For every instance where not having people join in the middle of a match is a good thing, there are bound to be at least 100 games that turn to absolute shit because a couple players on one team quit and left their team 2+ members down.

Also, that system where people can't join in the lobby is one of the most fucking retarded things I have ever heard of.