People that criticize games purely on graphics

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
It depends on the game. For instance, would Just Cause 2 be the same game with shit graphics? No, half the fun I have on Just Cause 2 is flying around appreciating the environment.

Would Minecraft be the same with brilliant graphics? No, in my opinion the simplistic look of Minecraft works perfectly. I wouldn't like it with realistic graphics.

But yeah, most of the time I just don't listen to people who judge a game purely on graphics, gameplay is definitely the main focus of a game.

Also, way to keep up the CoD and Fifa hate in a thread which shouldn't have anything to do with it, I'm sure blaming your problems people who like different games than you do is the right way to go about things /sarcasm.

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
The only people I've ever heard make complaints about graphics as if they're the whole game are either children too young to know better, or college age twats with the mental capacity of a retarded magpie. In both cases I don't really think their opinion means much.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
CoDzombieDude said:
Good graphics should be the mere icing on the cake, not the whole bloody cake mix
but what kind of cake is good without icing?
I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?
I want cake

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Pretty much my brother. I hand him my copy of Star Wars The Old Republic for him to play (he love Mass Effect and wanted to try past Bioware games). A month later I asked him if he had played it and said no. I asked why (maybe he was too busy like he usually is) and he said he was put off with the graphic. I am dumbstrucked by his excuse since we all know how awesome the game is and the graphic isn't that bad.
I didn't knew he had put that emphasis on the graphic since he did bought FF13 for the graphic alone (well he still liked the game) but still, I just think he's a idiot for passing on a great game for the graphic alone.

auronvi

Jul 10, 2009
SpaceArcader said:
This probably comes up on the forums a lot but I am sick and tired of people who judge games by the aesthetic side.

For example, I stayed over a friend's house where he was having a group party. He started to play Minecraft and then two people blurted out "Eurgh those graphics look sh*t" I replied back that graphics don't make the game it's all about the enjoyment but they ignored my sentence completely.

Mind you, these people are casuals and claim that the best game is the latest CoD/ Fifa/ Madden on the market.

So if you can post your experiences of hatred by other people.
My only thought on the subject about your "friends" is that if they think COD/FIFA/Madden are the best graphics on the market, I believe they have no idea what they are talking about anyway and should be shot (or just ignored if you don't own a gun).

I am a graphics whore. I will buy a game purely on graphics if I think the gameplay is tolerable and will enjoy it that much more. FFXIII, Crysis and Crysis2, Skyrim, ETC. These games I play and will play because I can get lost in a world easier if the graphics are exceptional and something I haven't seen before.

kickyourass said:
The only people I've ever heard make complaints about graphics as if they're the whole game are either children too young to know better, or college age twats with the mental capacity of a retarded magpie. In both cases I don't really think their opinion means much.
Or someone who can appreciate the technology and effort it requires to make said graphics. I hate the elitist pricks who talk about gameplay being the only thing that matters (not calling you elitist prick mind the commentor above). I would reasonably say that a game that has amazing gameplay but is shit to look at, isn't an amazing game. Amazing gameplay + amazing graphics = game of the year, IMO. Doesn't work out like that though usually.

Kizi

Apr 29, 2011
CoDzombieDude said:
Good graphics should be the mere icing on the cake, not the whole bloody cake mix
Not only a great reply that sums up this whole thread, but it also makes me want to have cake.

Of course, gameplay is more important than aesthetics, but I wouldn't want to play a very entertaining game only to find that it looks like wireframes and un-textured polygons. Balance is the word, my friends.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Well first off there's the whole graphics vs aesthetics thing. And Minecraft's graphics are "bad" but they are like that because 1) that's the style Notch was going for and 2) all the computing power saved from using blocky style goes into the a giant procedural world that does all kinds of crap.

That said, it's entirely reasonable to not like a game because of it's art style.

Jak23

Oct 1, 2010
Evil Top Hat said:
SpaceArcader said:
Mind you, these people are casuals and claim that the best game is the latest CoD/ Fifa/ Madden on the market.
Oh god... just kill... it's kinder that way

I was speaking to a friend recently about video games, and he claimed that COD: Black Ops was the height of what humans can achieve in regards to video games (with wording that made barely any sense).

A little part of me died.
I would have started foaming at the mouth and babbling, then I would rip out his esophagus.

SpaceArcader

Mar 2, 2011
GrizzlerBorno said:
SpaceArcader said:
For example, I stayed over a friend's house where he was having a group party. He started to play Minecraft and then two people blurted out "Eurgh those graphics look sh*t" I replied back that graphics don't make the game it's all about the enjoyment but they ignored my sentence completely.
That's not how you fight that complaint. You say "One person made it. 8 million people play it. And it's not even released yet. Sooo, Shut the fuck up."

If they are a little bit more.....literate (especially with computers), I find it very efficient to just explain to them that the graphics are bad because all the RAM is used up to randomly generate a world 8 times bigger than Earth for you to explore and play with. That usually gets their interest.
Thank you good sir! I shall quote that whenever someone disapproves Minecraft.

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
Ordinaryundone said:
Is there something wrong with liking good graphics? And to be fair, Minecrafts graphics do look like crap. That is completely right.
So even though it's meant to be a pixelated art style, you say it's crap. That's stupid.

sabercrusader

Jul 18, 2009
I can't stand people who judge games solely by Graphics, they just end up looking retarded when you try and ask them for another reason for why the game is good/bad. I'm all for good graphics, but it's more of a plus than a big necessity, as long as it's average graphics then I'll be fine. And even if the game's graphics suck, if the gameply is fun and the story is good, then it'll probably get into my game library at some point in the future.

RA92

Jan 1, 2011
SpaceArcader said:
This probably comes up on the forums a lot but I am sick and tired of people who judge games by the aesthetic side.
Remember the Samaritan demo that Epic showed off to show the Unreal engine's graphical prowess? This is what Epic's level designer had to say in an interview on that subject:

<quote=Alan Willard>There will always be people that are there for technical fun or because they can strike photo-realism but I don't think any games that will go for that because the hurdles are fairly significant for not a whole lot of return in terms of making the game better and I think that should always be the focus of technologies. If it doesn't make the game better, if the particle system look great and characters look great but if it does that at the expense of making a fun game that's a trade-off that shouldn't necessarily be made.

Source

Ordinaryundone

Oct 23, 2010
AndrewC said:
Ordinaryundone said:
Is there something wrong with liking good graphics? And to be fair, Minecrafts graphics do look like crap. That is completely right.
So even though it's meant to be a pixelated art style, you say it's crap. That's stupid.
You can have a pixelated art style that doesn't look bad. Super Meat Boy looks great, and its all done in pixels. As do most 16-bit platformers. Minecraft, on the other hand, looks terrible.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
SpaceArcader said:
Hang on, are we talking about graphics or aesthetics here? Usually I would start trying to point out the difference between the two. Thankfully, the Extra Credits guys have saved me the effort.

Anyway, while graphics obviously aren't the only important component of a game, they're still important. Games are mostly based on visual data and feedback. You spend the entirety of any game staring at a moving picture of some sort. So it matters what that picture looks like.

Rawne1980

Jul 29, 2011
Hell I still think Morrowind is a good game and thats basically running around talking to cardboard cut outs.

Everyone likes to play a game that looks beautiful down to the last blade of grass but I think most of us can agree that we just like to play games we enjoy no matter what they look like.

There are games out there that look amazing but the games shite (hello Hunted). Proofm if any was ever needed, that you really can't polish a turd.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ordinaryundone said:
You can have a pixelated art style that doesn't look bad. Super Meat Boy looks great, and its all done in pixels. As do most 16-bit platformers. Minecraft, on the other hand, looks terrible.
Terrible is a relative term.

You say Minecraft looks terrible. Someone else says it looks nice. What makes you right?