People who are universally liked.

C.S.Strowbridge

Jul 22, 2010
Quiet Stranger said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Quiet Stranger said:
Can anyone name that Monkey scientist woman? I don't remember her name, on the tip of my tongue, she's REALLY famous and was parodied in The Simpsons
The Gorillas in the Mist woman? Dian Fossey?

Nope, close though, it was Jane Goodall
Yes. I thought that name was wrong even while I was posting it.

Kroxile

Oct 14, 2010
I would say Jesus Christ. Even if you don't believe in the faith or even believe Jesus himself ever existed, you gotta give it to the character that believed in altruism all the time, everytime.

Jestere

Apr 20, 2009
I'd pute Bear Grylls and Steve Irwin up. I think dying from a stingray barb to the heart is a key part of the reason everyone loves steve irwin.

KingofallCosmos

Nov 15, 2010
I remember from "Salmon of Doubt" one of the things that was said was you couldn't not like Douglas Adams, and I agree.

Daft Punk pretty kool, but they're french so I'd like to add Basement Jaxx.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Douglas Adams
Steve Irwin
Stephen Fry
Will Smith
Hugh Laurie
Terry Pratchett
Morgan Freeman
Neil Patrick Harris

(For some reason I can't think of any women...)

Pauley Perret AKA Abby from NCIS.
Felicia Day. I think most people who know who she is like her.

can we do fictional characters?

Rorschach

paragon1

Dec 8, 2008
AbsoluteVirtue18 said:
Mister Rogers, Liam Neeson and Dan Rather.
It's shameful that it took until the bottom of the 4th page on this thread for someone to mention Mister Rogers. Thank you for ending the madness.

I can't imagine anyone hating Carl Sagan.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Wingmna said:
Casual Shinji said:
Hayao Miyazaki.

I don't know him personally ofcourse, but how could anyone hate a guy that makes this many splendorous movies?

Because his films are meaningless fluffy. His remake of Howl's Moving Castle is horrible. In most of his stories the characters have no true motives, and hence in the end they all get along. There is NEVER any true characterisation in his films. And what is worse, he still trues to put his silly anti-war or environmental messages that have no weight (to the real world or to the core story he shoved them into) in where-ever he can! Ha! That is just as much depth as you will get out of Miyazaki!

TBH People like him are the bane of society, they make our kids dumbed down idiots.

And yes, I did used to like him, before I realised he was a hack that is also a major influence behind the fluffy that comes out for kids now days (see Toy Story). These styles of story purposely 'play it safe' for, ironically, conservative moms who will see their children never learning the important lessons one would have learned from older fairytales... Or even older Disney for that matter. No, instead they will get stories that show us nothing about people or life?

OH! But his movies don't hurt anyone! How could anyone hate him?!
It is odd, isn't it, how sometimes we can enjoy a movie that doesn't shove a convenient moral message down your throat? Which is what I assume you're talking about when referencing fairy tales and old Disney movies.

And if you've seen Kiki's Delivery Service, Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away and say they have no characterisation or meaning, then I don't know what kind of movies you've been watching.

Kl4pp5tuhl

Apr 15, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
C.S.Strowbridge said:
Pauley Perrette from NCIS has a really high Q score, which means most people who know who she is like her and very few people hate her. Apparently she has the highest for any actress.
And she's lush.

*sigh*
Ew. Dislike her.

Vrex360

Badass Alien
Mar 2, 2009

Natalie Portman, to date I have yet to meet a single person who dislikes her. She's beautiful, she's a talented actress, she's apparently quite charming (according to interviews), she's been to Harvard and earned a Bachelor's degree in psychology, she speaks four languages, she's had articles published and she's a vegan.

I know she does have the Star Wars prequel trilogy being held against her but frankly she redeemed herself in V for Vendetta at least for me. My sister once said the only thing she holds against Portman is how perfect she was.

Then again there is one thing a little iffy about her, namely she signed the petition for Roman Polanski to go free or lessen the charges for, you know... what he did. So that's one thing that can be held against her but still, plenty to like and I've never seen anyone vocalize their hatred of her.

Mar 30, 2010
Grouchy Imp said:
OT: Sir David Attenborough

I can't think of anyone else who has done more to bring the beauty of the natural world into our everyday lives, and his passion and enthusiasm for his work shines through and makes him a very personable chap.
JaceValm said:
Hate to tell you this but because he has recieved death threats because he is an atheist. Hard to believe I know, but Christian extremists (Yes, thats right extremists, not normal christians who are ok) send him death threats. Its a shame because he is has done nothing wrong
Flamezdudes said:
Wanna know something funny? My dad, many, many years ago before he was even married sent a message to David Attenborough complaining about evolution... he responded politely I hear. I know no more than that though, since my Dad probably threw it away knowing him.
I know your two messages are unrelated, but they were side by side in my inbox and reading them sequentially made me chuckle like hell.

@JaceValm, I did not know about the death threats, it's sad that someone so obviously in love with the world around him can attract that kind of negative feeling.

@Flamezdudes, do me a favour and doublecheck that your dad just threw away that reply, yeah? /jest

EDITed for context.

badgersprite

[--SYSTEM ERROR--]
Sep 22, 2009
Great Leader Kim Jong-Il. Everyone loves him. He is most beloved. What labour camps? What are you talking about?

Seriously, though, Optimus Prime. And Ghandi. Well, unless you want to get into partition and AARGH POLITICS!

stinkychops said:
What about that bloke from the Weapon of Choice video clip.

Can't imagine why people would dislike him.
Christopher Walken! Of course! Everybody loves Walken!

Kallesh

Jul 26, 2008
Margaret Thatcher
/end troll

Sir Ian Mckellan and Sir Patrick Stuart.... and Sir Christopher Lee, never heard anything against them, maybe people just like knights.