People who Hate a whole Genre

Puzzles

Aug 9, 2009
I haven't tried all genres, so It's a little hasty to say I hate some of them... However I've never seen the appeal of sports games (FIFA, Madden etc) since you can go outside and play that yourself.

You cannot, in any resonable state of sanity, go outside and start killing people.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Rockatansky said:
Beat 'em ups - Not bought and played one since Soul Calibur on the Dreamcast and before that only Street Fighter II on the SNES. I am tempted to give Super Street Fighter 4 a go, one beat 'em up game every ten years is enough for me.

Got no interest in sports games, only exception being Everybody's Golf on PSP.

Never played a 'proper' simulator game either, they look like too much hard work.
There are 3 groups of people (for the sake of argument) when talking about sports.

You have the top people, the ones actually doing the sports. They are getting paid to play a game.

You then have the middle people, the ones actually playing the sports games. They are paying to play a game.

Then you have the bottom of the barrel, people who watch people play sports. They are (generally) paying to watch people play the game because they are too lazy to even work a controller.

Sure it is fallacious and sure it is stupid. But I like to say it :p. I tend to respect sports game players more than sports viewers.

Puzzles said:
I haven't tried all genres, so It's a little hasty to say I hate some of them... However I've never seen the appeal of sports games (FIFA, Madden etc) since you can go outside and play that yourself.

You cannot, in any resonable state of sanity, go outside and start killing people.
Join the military. They even pay you to do it.

As for sports. Makes more sense to play sports games than watch them :p.

Sonofadiddly

Dec 19, 2009
BGH122 said:
Sonofadiddly said:
BGH122 said:
Well that's good! As Bhartrihari rightly wrote, "Knowledge grows when shared". Besides, you may well have influenced those stubborn people of whom you speak more than you know. Since a lot of stubbornness is rooted in pride they'll likely never let you know if/how you've influenced them, but if your logic was indeed flawless then they won't be able to ignore it. We can't hold two logically contradictory ideas so eventually one has to go, thus is the law of cognitive dissonance.
Thank you, cognitive dissonance.
You're welcome, cognitive dissonance. Is that how we're ending sentences now? :D
It was until you screwed it up with that last sentence!

Dec 16, 2009
Douk said:
(note: when someone goes to talk about how much heart and soul a game has, they lose the argument)
haha, thank you, i may quote that in my next debate when some uses that heart and soul bull.

she has some nice points about the pro's of JRPG and cons of WRPG (the colour pallet in particular)
but she seems to have the blinkers on and is missing out on alot of potential gaming goodness from other area's

i wont play sports games, as i think why not go out n play them (i think someone else has responded with something similar)

other than that, ill give anything a go.
i gave final fantasy x a shot when i saw it on sale, n found i actually enjoyed turn based combat. that said, i played final fantasy xii n hated it because it felt more like a hack and slash, and there is already a wealth of those on the market.

i've yet to find an rts i really like since megalomania.
doesnt mean i've refused to try rts's on a recommendation.

tell ya friend to take a deep breath n experiment a little. just because something isnt your absolute favourite, its a bit bratty to think it means you cant get a level of enjoyment from it.

The_Deleted

Aug 28, 2008
Deathsane said:
racing games
only exception is burnout
Agreed. I've never grasped Gran Turismo as a game, it's the very definition of dull in my opinion. But, I have 0 interest in cars, too. Unless they turn into fuck off robots.
Burnout, up until Paradise has been constantly awesome and other driving games just don't compare or feel the same. The only exception being Flatout, which keeps that arcade vibe while still being a challenge.
Hopefully Split/Second will prove it's worth and not turn out to be a one pump chump.

Earthmonger

Apple Blossoms
Feb 10, 2009
Shooting Game: System Shock 2 count? If not, Half-Life: Opposing Force.
Racing Game: Um... Spy Hunter, for Commodore 64? If not, Pole Position (Arcade machine only). All others suck.
Platforming Game: Contra, Super Mario Bros (original NES).
Sport Game: None. They all suck.
Sandbox Game: I have yet to find ANY true sandbox game. They may have sandbox elements, but not a one is the real deal.
JRPG: Wild Arms (PS1)
WRPG: Planescape: Torment
Adventure Game: King's Field? Though it had a lot of RPG elements.(PS1) Maybe, Tex Murphy? (PC, mystery adventure?)
Driving Game: This isn't the same as racing?
Real Time Strategy: Not a one. Men... kanskje Age Of Wonders.
Turn Taking Strategy: XCom: UFO Defense.
Sim: Roller Coaster Tycoon 1 and 3.

Tsuillo

Sep 5, 2009
Shooting Game: Combat Arms
Racing Game: Mario Kart 64
Platforming Game: Braid was chill, but I definitely liked Yoshi's Island.
Sport Game: Usually hate any sports simulation, but Mario Tennis was pretty chill. Or Megaman Soccer.
Sandbox Game: GTA series had it's moments, But Fallout 2&3 takes the cake.
JRPG: Chrono Trigger, hands down. And any of the early Final Fantasies.
WRPG: Any Elder Scrolls game, Daggerfall, Morrowind, and especially Fallout 1, 2, and 3.
Adventure Game: I loved Mario 64, Any any Zelda game.
Driving Game: Rather guiltily I would say Need For Speed. Never liked racing or driving games that much, but as far as they go, it was pretty fun.
Real Time Strategy: All the classic 2D RTS's kicked ass. Dune, C&C, Starcraft.
Turn Taking Strategy: Fantasy Empires, hands down.

Dec 16, 2009
BGH122 said:
Then we fall into the same equally fallacious "Try it, you might like it" nonsense platitude that's often bandied around axiomatically. I've never been shot, I've never been raped, I've never had someone set fire to my house, I've never gotten married and had children, I've never bought a car with several missing parts, I've never lost the keys to my house nor have I ever skydived but I'm pretty damn sure I'd hate all those things. People may not know themselves perfectly (indeed, if we belief Popper then it's impossible to be objective about oneself), but we usually know our general area of interest and what we hate. From these we can fairly safely presume whether or not we'll like a thing before we've experienced it hence the "Try it, you might like it" argument fails.
the examples you gave felt to me to be out of context
(except the car and the house keys) the examples you've given are a hell of alot more extreme and life changing than trying a game genre you've not played/liked before.
borrowing a game u might not like, u risk losing an hour of you life with a potential pay off of finding something you enjoy, you are not risking violation or death.

so in the try a new genre debate, the "Try it, you might like it" answer succeeds

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
Shooting Game- Turok 2

Racing Game- Need For Speed: Most Wanted

Platforming Game- Any Mario game

Sport Game- NHL Hitz '03

Sandbox Game- GTA: Chinatown Wars

JRPG- TWEWY

WRPG- Morrowind

Adventure Game- 5 Days A Stranger (and sequels)

Driving Game- Half-Life 2 Out Run

Real Time Strategy- Lost Magic

Turn Taking Strategy- Civilization Revolution

Hah. I have passed the challenge. I win. Now please shower me with roses and cookies, for I am tolerant of all genres.

Oh, and some genres you forgot:

Beat'em up: Mighty Final Fight

Fighting game: Dead or Alive 3

Aitruis

Mar 4, 2009
Shooter: American Mcgee's Alice
Racing Game: Gran Turismo 3: A-Spec
Platformer: Classic NES/SNES Marios
Sport Game: Haven't gotten around to playing them in a long time, but there was one particular N64 football game I used to love....
Sandbox Game: Saint's Row 2
JRPG: Do the Pokemon games count as JRPG's? I found the cartoons and most other PM material excruciatingy annoying, but I find the Gameboy games to be quite decent RPGs.
WRPG: Both series of Baldur's Gate and Fallout
Adventure Game: Myst series
Driving Game: Uh. Racing game?
Real Time Strategy: Warcraft 3
Turn-Taking Strategy: Civ 2

As you can probably tell, many of my favorites are oldies. I consider myself to be a fairly well rounded gamer, and will try anything at least once.

Lord Krunk

Mar 3, 2008
Julianking93 said:
I hate all turn based JRPGs

I can't stand turn based combat.
Conversely, I love turn-based combat. I mean, who didn't find the classic JRPGS or Pokemon fun? Anyone who says otherwise is lying through their teeth.

Anyway, I'm open about my preferences, not liking a particular genre but the things within them. For example, there's some all right metal and techno out there if you look hard enough.

Sturgeon's Law. 90% of everything is crap. But there's still 10% that's unaccounted for.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Douk said:
Ahh sorry I guess it is kinda weird. She DID sound like she only played JRPGs but I'm assuming here so I'll improve the analogy:

If someone hate all sandwiches and never eats any sort of sandwich on the basis that cereal is better, you'd think that was strange. And this isn't a 'try it before you knock it' scenario its just a sort of unnecessary hate for something you don't understand well enough and can easily learn more about with no repercussion.
I think I see what you mean by that analogy, correct me if I get it wrong: Person A likes product X and assumes, because they like product X, that they won't like product Y even though they don't know enough about product Y to make that decision?

Well this depends on just how much she knew about WRPGs. She certainly doesn't sound very informed, but if she spots a quality in WRPGs which is at odds with something she considers essential in a game (for instance, if she spotted that WRPGs always have guns and she only likes medieval games (just an example, I realise it doesn't apply)) then she'd be legitimated in her dislike of WRPGs without having to play them. But, if she instinctively hates WRPGs simply because she likes JRPGs then she's a moron.

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Shooting Game: Too many to list; COD, Halo, Gears, etc
Racing Game: Forza
Platforming Game:psychnauts
Sport Game: NHL [any of the EA ones]
Sandbox Game: GTA or SR
JRPG: Final Fantasy V
WRPG: Again too many to list: anything by Bioware really
Adventure Game: Not sure what an adventure game is
Driving Game: Test Drive 5
Real Time Strategy: Any Command and Conquer
Turn Based Strategy: Civilization

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Mr Ink 5000 said:
BGH122 said:
Then we fall into the same equally fallacious "Try it, you might like it" nonsense platitude that's often bandied around axiomatically. I've never been shot, I've never been raped, I've never had someone set fire to my house, I've never gotten married and had children, I've never bought a car with several missing parts, I've never lost the keys to my house nor have I ever skydived but I'm pretty damn sure I'd hate all those things. People may not know themselves perfectly (indeed, if we belief Popper then it's impossible to be objective about oneself), but we usually know our general area of interest and what we hate. From these we can fairly safely presume whether or not we'll like a thing before we've experienced it hence the "Try it, you might like it" argument fails.
the examples you gave felt to me to be out of context
(except the car and the house keys) the examples you've given are a hell of alot more extreme and life changing than trying a game genre you've not played/liked before.
borrowing a game u might not like, u risk losing an hour of you life with a potential pay off of finding something you enjoy, you are not risking violation or death.

so in the try a new genre debate, the "Try it, you might like it" answer succeeds
No, it doesn't, for the same reasons that the extreme examples don't need trying: they possess a quality which contradicts something that the individual wants.

Getting shot contradicts my desire to avoid pain, losing my house keys contradicts my desire to avoid inconvenience and a certain genre of game could potentially possess a quality which contradicts my individual desires. The examples are irrelevant, it's this underlying logic which defeats the "Try it, you might like it" advice.

EDIT: Just to rebut the obvious rebuttal to my previous point, whilst it is true that we can't instinctively know the qualities of a thing before we've experienced it (I can't know every quality of a game I've never tried and I might mistake it to be possessing some quality which it doesn't possess (i.e. I might mistakenly assume JRPGs are repetitive)), it's at this point that the convincer/the proponent of the untested genre (in this case the OP) is supposed to show in what way the assumer/the opponent of the untested genre has mistakenly attributed negative qualities to the genre. If, after the debate is through, the proponent hasn't managed to persuade the opponent that the qualities the opponent dislikes don't really exist in the genre then the opponent needn't try the genre to know she/he dislikes it.

The problem lies in the fact that very few people are good at debating and/or we all perceive the same thing differently. The majority of debates about opinions will look like this:

A: I don't want mustard on my hotdog
B: Why?
A: Mustard is too hot.
B: But it's really nice, it goes well with hotdogs (failing to rebut the criticism).
A: No, I don't like it.
B: Have you ever tried it?
A: Yes.
B: On hotdogs?
A: No.
B: Well there you go, you should try it (again, the underlying criticism of the 'hotness' of mustard still hasn't been rebutted and it hasn't been shown how hotdogs affect this negative quality).
A: No, I don't want to.
B: Ugh, if you don't try you don't know (resorts to wanky platitudes, ad nauseum).

Redfefnir

Oct 31, 2009
Probably someone who completely hates something 'for no apparent reason' and continues to use a large variety of shallow reasons has probably had this experience happen to them;

They were in a light conversation with a group (either of friends, schoolmates, whatever), and they spoke up opposite of what was being spoken, even if it was a very light "I don't think it's that bad." or a "Eh, I personally don't give a hoot" and where probably glared at funny and in some sort of fashion humiliated in front of a group that they originally intended to be at least somewhat immersed it.

Long story short. They have a reason to hate it because they've been humiliated in some fashion (even lightly), which is enough to start the ball rolling, which snowballs into a "I hate everything about it."

Think of politics. You say "Oh I don't care for _____, but I think this policy is at least a good idea." and someone else in the group/1v1 conversation is going to riddle you apart because of your lack of knowledge and lack of caring. In which your self-conscious (You have it. I don't care. You have a self-conscious.) is going 'NONONONONONON', so you, at least inwardly, have some anger at the subject because you've been looked like a fool in some way.

TL;DR, If you hate something and can't explain why other then reasons people have fed you; It's because your self-conscious is telling you that you're going to look like an idiot to your friends if you don't hate it.

BGH122

Jun 11, 2008
Redfefnir said:
In which your self-conscious (You have it. I don't care. You have a self-conscious.) is going 'NONONONONONON'
Christ, I didn't realise my self-concious is French. Sorry, couldn't resist. But, yes, this sort of attribution of emotional states to an thing is a very strong reason why people tend to irrationally like or dislike a thing.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Lord Krunk said:
Julianking93 said:
I hate all turn based JRPGs

I can't stand turn based combat.
Conversely, I love turn-based combat. I mean, who didn't find the classic JRPGS or Pokemon fun? Anyone who says otherwise is lying through their teeth.

Anyway, I'm open about my preferences, not liking a particular genre but the things within them. For example, there's some all right metal and techno out there if you look hard enough.

Sturgeon's Law. 90% of everything is crap. But there's still 10% that's unaccounted for.
I honestly hated those games

I'm not lying at all.

Those games where boring and terrible in my own opinion.