People Who Use the Same Move Over and Over

PresidentSteve

Jul 17, 2010
How annoying is this in fighting games? My friend is obsessed with Kirby in Smash Brothers Wii and all he does is keep turning into a block and dropping on my head over and over again.

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
There are ways to counter attack this tactic very easily, in every fighting game, if you know the controls and movesets of your character. So it isn't bad.

Johnnyallstar

Feb 22, 2009
Here's a tip. Block & throw. He'll learn to stop very quick.

Its annoying, but if you don't let it get to you, and learn instead how to counter it, it really turns the game into a 1 way battle. Doesn't matter what it is, just knowing how to learn and adapt to a situation is a good skill for anything.

DarkHourPrince

May 12, 2010
....*just as guilty*
I hadn't played Smash Bros since the N64 and then I was handed a gamecube controller for Brawl at at party. I've never even played the gamecube, so I just mashed buttons and when I found a move that worked, I stuck with it.

BlueberryMUNCH

Apr 15, 2010
Welcome to Escapist:]
Yep, its like ¬_____________¬.
But at te end of the day, if he wins doing it and has fun, kudos to him and shame on you for not giving him a good slap xD haha

Kpt._Rob

Travelling Mushishi
Apr 22, 2009
Well, it can be annoying, but generally when anyone does that you can figure out a way to get around it and beat them.

theComposer

Mar 29, 2009
It's only annoying if you let them do it to you over and over. If your friend only uses that one move, you know what he's going to do next, so you can get out of the way and attack when he's vulnerable. I speak from experience, as my younger brother used to do the same.

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
If people keep on making the same move, it shouldn't be so difficult to just attack at the right moment, would it? Random button bashers like me that even sometimes don't know what they are doing, now that is something to fear for! Because you can't get in our head! :p

xanith02100

Feb 1, 2009
In any fighting game the element of surprise is part of how you win. Using a large and diverse set of moves and methods of attack makes it hard for the opponent to predict - and thus how to react - to you.

In your scenario, with your friend always doing the exact same thing, all you need to do is keep your cool and learn to counter it. Your friend will quickly realize that if they keep doing the same thing over and over, you will always kick their ass in the end.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Even notice that attack in Soul Calibur 4 that Cevertes and Shura use? You know the one that launches them up in the air and they drop on you. (ps it is unblockable)

Hurr Durr Derp

Apr 8, 2009
People who do the same move over and over are pathetically easy to beat, since you always know their next move.

If you can't beat them because you keep on running into the attack again and again, you really deserve to lose.

Vianyte

Jan 10, 2009
Spammers, as you call them, are easily taken down by expert players. So not a problem.

As for your concern, Kirby's stone move is probably the easiest to counter in SSBB. It's predictable and leaves him vulnerable. Just dodge or shield and then grab or charge up a smash attack. If someone keeps spamming a move, it's probably because they know it works.

TerranReaper

Mar 28, 2009
If you know how the movesets of his character and your character, then in most fighting games, you should be able to counter it.

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Well, it can be a fun-killer, but you should just learn how to counter it, and your opponent will surely stop, lest he be beaten into a pulp.

Ironsouled

Nov 5, 2009
Well... not one but at soul caliber I have 7 combo's I use pretty much interchangebly so... Possibly guilty. As to the people who stick with 1 move/set? Easy. 3 of those combo's are counters to other spammers, and the rest is just using the enemies cleverness against them. Why use a long complex set of moves when one or two will knock them away and off center? Conversely, why not? Hence, 7 combo's and not 4