People you find impossible to talk to

LostProxy

Dec 4, 2009
People who refuse to learn new things if it goes out of what they consider right. Good example I once dated a chick with a very religious right wing family. From the get go I should have guessed this wouldn't end well. Anyway her dad asked what religion I was. I don't like to lie so I told him "I'm not really any religion at the moment. I haven't found one I can really put my faith in yet." He gives me an odd look and says something along the lines of I should become a christian blah blah. So I tell him that Brother Weber (a friend of the family) always taught me that wisdom can come in any form and I should look for what I think it right and what I can proudly live my life by. If a clearly religious man told me this then I think there must be some truth in it. Needless to say he didn't like his daughter dating "that boy".

President Moocow

Nov 18, 2009
SikOseph said:
President Moocow said:
SikOseph said:
I don't find tolerance itself intolerable. People can be a good bit more tolerant than I am without annoying me, but it is the people that take it to extremes that I find impossible to talk to. Have you seen the South Park episode 'Death Camp of Tolerance'? Also this person's post would exemplify one type of person that gets on my nerves:
iamq said:
Trying to complain about anything when my big sister is around. She is some kind of passive optimist and always goes like "Well, they think it's right, you can't blame them" or "Well maybe *Some reason that makes no sense*"

She says that she doesn't like just accepting when people complain something, that is bad, and I can agree with her on that, you can't be all blind. But you can stop coming up with excuses if you don't even know anything of the subject or if it's just something that you really can't defend.

It's like if you where complaining about some guy who ran over your entire family with a monster truck and then she comes and says that maybe he just didn't see them. Those are things that she could literaly try to defend, even though it's obvius that you should'nt drive a Monster Truck in the road...
It is the relentless refusal to criticise something that annoys me - how boring do constantly positive conversations get?
As hard as it may seem for both of you to understand, some people have this emotion called "empathy". So it doesn't matter if they don't know anything about a subject, they will still feel compassion for a person. Also, not everyone judges people based on "does it make sense?". It's possible to take the person's feelings into account when judging them, but it seems like both of you just don't understand that idea.

Empathy described as boring may make sense to someone who hates life, but for others do you know what is boring as well as pretty sad and tedious to deal with? people who criticize relentlessly. It is true that everything can be too extreme and that means it's possible to be too caring for others however that's incredibly uncommon. What is far more prevalent and far more likely in this situation is the other extreme: Being far too critical. So did you find one of the few people who is far too caring? or are you the ones who are far too critical?
Fuck off you patronising arsehole. As hard as it may be for you to understand, some people have this thing called reason, and when they don't know anything about a subject (for example, another person's character) they try not to make snap judgement or empty criticisms without understanding that the person they are attempting to criticise might have heard of words like empathy before, and may even exhibit it in appropriate amounts. A person possessing reason might appreciate that people complaining about relentless optimists and relentlessly 'nice' people are annoyed not by ordinarily, or even significantly more than usually nice people, but by exceptional cases, those who behave like that in inappropriate circumstances. Such a person possessing reason might also work out that 'empathy' and 'refusing to criticise' or 'having too much understanding' are not really as relating as your patronising post makes out.

Rant over, your question at the bottom is just about valid. I didn't find one of the few people who is too caring, I found several of the people who refuse to criticise anything and are optimistic to an annoying degree. As for people that are too caring, one of my three best friends is definitely one of those, and while it is annoying sometimes, it is really only a problem for him, not for me.
Going by "reason" assumes that you are a reasonable person which might be true for some but not at all for others. Now why is being optimistic and non-critical a bad thing? People like that are often inherently better at getting along with people. As long as they are not overly naive. As far as extremes go, it's one of the least difficult to deal with.