Perfect (Or As Good As We'll Get) Works of Fiction

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
I'm going to have to second Breaking Bad. It may not be everybody's cup of tea but it is a masterclass in producing a tightly worked, emotionally effective, perfectly paced drama where the characters are fully realised throughout. Some people might say the ending was a bit too neat but I think it felt right.

In terms of books I'd say The Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, The Satanic Verses by Salman Rushdie and Lanark by Alasdair Gray. There probably are things there which people could class as flaws but I honestly couldn't find any.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
Jasper van Heycop said:
bauke67 said:
Well if we are bringing music into the equation I would suggest Mozarts Requiem, Vivaldi's Four Seasons, Beethoven's symphonies or Wagner's die Walkure
Not a big Beethoven fan but I'll give you the Mozart and the Vivaldi. For some reason Requiems tend to bring out the best in composers and I'd add to your list of classical music greats Bach's Mass in B Minor, Faure's Requiem, Verdi's Requiem and Britten's War Requiem. Also Vaughan Williams' The Lark Ascending, Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue, Satie's 3 Gnossiennes and Poulenc's Sonata for Flute and Piano

Movies: Some Like It Hot and Casablanca, and shifting gears slightly I'd be tempted to say the original version of Star Wars. The fact that the special edition made it so obviously worse proves that point, I think!

For books I might say Iain Pears' An Instance Of The Fingerpost. Although it's not my all-time favourite (which would be Catch-22) it's just perfectly put together. Also pretty much everything by PG Wodehouse.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
The Lord of the Rings is as great a film as I've ever seen, and the books a monster, but if I'm fair I can find flaws in both. Watchmen was ALMOST perfect. Perfect meaning that you can't take out absolutely anything without ruining the story, and you can't add anything without ruining the pacing. It fumbles a little bit towards the end because the alien felt out of place in the gritty world, and it wasn't built up enough. The story didn't feel as tightly plotted at the end. Otherwise It's amazing. The Killing Joke actually IS perfect in my opinion, since it meets my above requirements. It's a very tight, trimmed down, symbolic, deep, and still emotional story. Another one is Lord of the Flies, which is very subtle, and manages to say a lot without saying very much. As far as video games go, I can only think of maybe one. Video games, by their very nature, tend to add too much, and can't show restraint, so the only candidate that comes to mind is Silent Hill 2. EVERYTHING in that game has symbolic meaning, even something as mundane as killing a monster. It hints at a great deal but tells you nothing. Nothing goes to waste in that game. Even the environments are tailored to developing the characters. It's not my favorite game, and I don't know if I'd say I "enjoyed" it in the conventional sense, but it's damn near perfect. It almost felt like a work of literature, something the first game attempted but failed at. Edit: Oh shit, I forgot I'm contractually obligated to mention Berserk. Very well, everything before The Blackswordsman Arc is perfect. Aw heck, the whole things perfect. Good job civilization, we can stop inventing things now. Lets go home.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
nyankaty said:
And video game wise, nothing will ever top Earthbound, ever. It's perfect. Mother 3 is a very close second, but nothing can quite top Earthbound. Although it is worth noting that the storyline of Mother 3 is way more emotional and intense. It just depends on what type of perfection you're looking for!
It is BEYOND refreshing to find another EB nut like myself. Thank you oh so very much.

Welp, since my vidya game answer has been addressed, let's see about a couple others ....
Game: Conker's Bad Fur Day, Mass Effect 2 and Silent Hill 2
Comic: HUSH (because you should never underestimate The Riddler, and since Watchmen was said already.) Close second would be the Blackest Night event.
TV: Avatar the Last Airbender
Film: STAR WARS Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (and in 2nd place, the first Clerks film.)
Music: Gorillaz (much as I love Daft Punk over all, mostly everyone likes at least 1 Gorillaz song.)

BleedingPride

Aug 10, 2009
I'd say Death Note is a masterpiece. The story as a whole was thought provoking, with twists at every turn, and it never slowed down for an instant. Plus it had one of the best plot twists and endings known to this kind of fiction. It was so beautifully done, both the Manga and I especially love the anime because of the acting (especially with the english version) and the little bits they added to the ending.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Badlands by Terrence Malick, i've seen it several times by now and it's perfect in everything from direction to casting.

I have the same feelings about Blade Runner and even Jurassic Park, as i see it changes to these movies would only diminish their quality.

zegram33

Oct 24, 2012
for books...Jim Butcher is generally fantastic, I think both of his series are the two best series of books iv ever read (with codex alera being the better)

for films...I think "Lord of War" is just a perfect film, never feels slow, no missteps, just....a really good film.

games: gotta be White Knight Chronicles II (well, and I, since II includes the whole of I) just...I dunno,on paper its nothing special, but it all just works fantastically)

music, I think 21st century breakdown by greenday (I know, I know, im not allowed to like them) is the only album where I loved all the songs

RikuoAmero

Jan 27, 2010
TheRiddler said:
Is there any book, movie, comic, video game or TV show that you consider close to perfect? Not necessarily your favorite thing in the world, but something that you couldn't really find any major flaws in.

For example, I love Doctor Who and have watched it for years, but it still has plenty of poorly-executed scenes, occasionally crappy CGI, overly-hammy acting, etc.

On the other hand, although Watchmen (the comic) kind of bored me, I couldn't find any flaws in it. It was clever, dramatic and used compelling characters to drive the plot forward.

What I'm looking for are things like Watchmen. Things that are (ideally enjoyable, but even if not,) more or less flawless.
So basically you're looking for works that while they may have flaws,they transcend them in a way. I'll echo what someone up above said, FLCL, and then add my own. The book Dune by Frank Herbert. It is simply a masterpiece and in my opinion everything what a sci-fi book should be. I will add though, for those who haven't read it, to continue on and read at least the next two books to fully understand everything (Dune Messiah and Children of Dune). But the original is still fantastic on it's own (the later sequels, prequels and midquels though...trash in my opinion. An empire with a ruling class of women who enslave men with sexual orgasms? WTF?)

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
BleedingPride said:
I'd say Death Note is a masterpiece. The story as a whole was thought provoking, with twists at every turn, and it never slowed down for an instant. Plus it had one of the best plot twists and endings known to this kind of fiction. It was so beautifully done, both the Manga and I especially love the anime because of the acting (especially with the english version) and the little bits they added to the ending.
Have to second Death Note. The first anime I ever watched, and still my favorite to this day. I cannot find any flaws in it no matter how hard I try.

The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King is one of the best films ever made.

For games I'd say Shadow of the Colossus. Beautifully atmospheric, the best boss battles in any game I've ever played and fantastic character relationships. I've never cared for any animal in a game as much as I cared for Agro.

The Power of One is a terrific novel. I've really got to get around to reading Dune and Ender's Game, apparently they're fantastic.

Icyheart

Feb 7, 2011
All I can really think of right now is the Song of Ice and Fire series by George R. R. Martin, but then again that's probably because I'm reading them all again to build up for the latest volume.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I have to go with The wheel of Time series here.

Now there are flaws, but overall it's just done incredibly well and I have never seen anything closer to perfection.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
CALVIN AND HOBBES, god bless the boy and his tiger. Those two never get old.
Also, Disney's UP is absolutely perfect, and I will hear no words that speak otherwise.

Azahul

Apr 16, 2011
Cloud Atlas. Specifically the movie, although the book is a fine piece of work as well. The movie does an even better job of reinforcing the connections between lives than the book, however, and the levels of symbolism in each piece of work is beyond mind-boggling. In the case of the movie though, it gets my vote because it's just so tightly constructed. Virtually everything is there for a very specific reason, helping to reinforce the connections between lives. It's structured in such a way that the climax of each story will take you through just about every possible emotion imaginable. I've seen the film six times now, and every time I've seen new details and connections that I missed before. It's my favourite film of all time, and from a purely technical level (in terms of the script and direction of the film, from camera angles to the music, down to the names of the characters) it's as close to perfect as a movie could be.

I can't really think of a game that I could say the same for. Books (aside from the book Cloud Atlas), well, I'd be liable to read off a fairly lengthy list of Terry Pratchett's works. Other than that though, Cloud Atlas is where it's at. It's not the standard by which I judge other movies by, it's the high water mark of what is possible in cinema. I live waiting for another movie to reach, but doubt I will ever see one.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
Portal 1 and 2.

Need I explain?

Hmm...

Watchmen... yeah... though I'd say the movie is better than the comic. Especially the extended version (which includes deleted scenes, and the animated version of the comic within a comic... which was actually a pretty clever way to go about it... and the cartoon segments didn't skimp on actors either... Russel Crowe was hired JUST for that part... he did nothing else for Watchmen)...

but the main reason that I think the movie is better than the comic... is the ending. The movie did a much better job with creating a disaster that would believably make the world unite against a common enemy.

House of Leaves is as close to perfect as any book can get.

It is the rare book that uses EVERY tool available in the medium to its advantage. That being said though... it deliberately screws with you in every possible way... so this book tends to be pretty polarizing. You're either going to love it or hate it. Personally, I'm in the former camp... and well... its just a very compelling story told in a very unique way. Even if, after looking into it... it doesn't sound like your cup of tea, I'd recommend reading it anyway, as you will never encounter anything else like it ever again.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent is the perfect horror game. Perfectly paced... it knew when to be intense and when to give you a break... and when to make you feel just a little uneasy... and the story... while a bit basic, is told in a very compelling way without (generally) interrupting gameplay.

Bastion. The music fits every second perfectly, the narration is a crowning achievement, the story is at times disturbing and touching, and it is so far, one of the best examples of story and gameplay being intertwined to date.

The Walking Dead (telltale)... subtle, poignant, and just... one of the best tragedies ever told. Even if some elements we've seen before in zombie movies, it still used those elements for their maximum impact. Which... is more than I can say for the comic or tv series. And of course, it has what is quite possibly THE best child character in fiction since Claudia from Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire. (well... Claudia is a complicated example... her mind ages, but of course, her body doesn't)

Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan. It does have a few head-scratching moments (like why in the hell Scotty thought it was a good idea to bring his nephew to the bridge instead of the med-bay), but it all works in the end because its a great story, told very well. And removing any of the elements from the film diminishes it.

Planescape: Torment. Say what you will about its combat, it is a great story... and well... the higher level spells do make you feel like a walking god. The premise for what is quite possible the greatest tragedy of all time is... well... you wake up in the Mortuary, your memory is gone, and you are immortal. The rest of the game is a quest for self-discovery - at first finding out who you were, and then deciding who you ARE. Both of which DO affect the ending.

It has one of Tony Jay's more interesting roles... its just a pity they couldn't afford to have him read every line.

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Nothing's perfect, but these ones come close:

Book: The Sicilian, Destiny's Way
Film: Batman Begins
Game: Metroid Prime, Paper Mario TTYD

Now I'm sure this is something of an invitation for some jerk to tear all these down and declare them the 'worst ___ everrrr', but I don't care. Nothing else has clicked for me and synchronized with my life like these ones have.

jab136

Sep 21, 2012
TheDoctor455 said:
Portal 1 and 2.

Need I explain?
yah, even yatzee agrees with you, his only criticism of Portal 2 was that it wasn't portal 1, and he didn't have any criticism for Portal 1, and if you watch his show you know that is practically impossible.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
The Kingkiller Chronicles, by Patrick Rothfuss. I can put forth that suggestion in good conscience. If anything is almost perfect, it's those books.

Wow escapist, you guys have a very low bar for "almost perfect". How many of you forwarded three or four suggestions? Really guys? Really?

searron

Mar 1, 2010
If your going to go with perfect work of fiction, I would half to go with Paradise Lost by Milton. It's about as close to perfection as literature will come.

Of Mans First Disobedience, and the Fruit
Of that Forbidden Tree, whose mortal tast
Brought Death into the World, and all our woe,
With loss of Eden, till one greater Man
Restore us, and regain the blissful Seat,
Sing Heav'nly Muse, that on the secret top
Of Oreb, or of Sinai, didst inspire
That Shepherd, who first taught the chosen Seed,
In the Beginning how the Heav'ns and Earth
Rose out of Chaos: Or if Sion Hill
Delight thee more, and Siloa's Brook that flow'd
Fast by the Oracle of God; I thence
Invoke thy aid to my adventrous Song,
That with no middle flight intends to soar
Above th' Aonian Mount, while it pursues
Things unattempted yet in Prose or Rhime.

BAM. Thread.