Period of history you find the most interesting.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
hazabaza1 said:
How about right now?
Seriously, we got so much new shit coming out constantly, and I have no friggin' idea what the future will hold personally and on the grand scale of things. Shit's crazy yo!
I agree. International relations is some of the most interesting stuff around.

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
Anything from 1000AD to 1700- That way I get to squeeze in my passion for the colour and vibrant life Middle Ages and the Renaissance, the age of exploration, feudal Japan, the Tudor and Stuarts colourful courts in England, the glory of France under the Sun King, the printing press, the Reformation, the Counter Reformation, the beginnings of European Imperialism and the dawn of the Enlightenment.

There are other periods I enjoy learning about as well, but these hold a special place for me.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
My major is in history. Most of the stuff that I studied were focused on the 19th and 20th century. Although, I do love to study the 1960s.

Aesir23

Jul 2, 2009
Generally I love to learn about anything that took place before 1950 but my favourite period would have to be the Colonial Era since it was a time of great upheaval. It seemed like the world just really shifted itself and its perspective around in a short amount of time instead of a little bit over a long period of time.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I personally like the period from the American Civil War to the Great Depression. Not sure why, though.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
sextus the crazy said:
Squilookle said:
For me it's pretty much the 20th century where everything was at, specifically WW2.

sextus the crazy said:
Yeah, WWII was pretty much the golden age of modern conflict. I doubt there'll be another war as large in scale or global impact. Not to mention it's some of the best: Submarine combat, sniping, air combat, etc.
Not to mention the clash of the largest battleships ever made, before aircraft carriers rendered them obsolete. Tank warfare comes of age. Commando and guerilla/resistance warfare matures into a widespread formidable tactic. Predates night-vision and computers doing the fighting instead of raw cunning and elbow grease. Last total war fought without fear of nuclear attack. Largest tank, aerial and naval battles in human history. One of the final conflicts involving true dogfighting without automatic targeting. Fought all over the world, in just about every single type of terrain imaginable. A conflict in which one of the largest number of countries had a vested interest/participation. Some freaking sweet prison escapes.

Seriously- Battlefield was a fool to ever leave it- WW2 has more varied potential for a brilliant action game than any single other period of human history ever. We only got sick of it because every game had you running up Omaha beach as the Americans again and again and again and again...
Battleships were more or less obsolete by the time the first aircraft carriers came around. The only reason we kept them is that they were handy for off-shore shelling, which was very necessary in the pacific. If anything the Yamato showed how vulnerable battleships were to air attack.

Also, there have still been great air battles after WWII. MiG alley in Korea, the vietnam airwar, and to a small extent, the falklands war. In fact, automatic targeting doesn't necessarily make combat easy. In vietnam, we learned that relying solely on air to air missles is a terrible strategy.
Battleships were essentially rendered obsolete the moment the raid on Taranto began, in 1940. This didn't stop them engaging other surface vessels though, like the great clash of the Bismarck and Hood/POW. The moment aerial torpedoes came of age the battleship's days were numbered. WW2 was their last hurrah, and their biggest, too.

I never said missiles made combat easy- I was basically saying that you get better stories, and gameplay without them. Subjective, I know, but dogfights are always way too short with missiles in play.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
20th Century.

Featuring WWI, the Russian Revolution, The Great Depression, The Spanish Civil War, WWII, The Chinese Civil War and subsequent revolution, The Cold War, the end of colonialism, The Vietnam War.

There was probably some non-war stuff going on as well, but it's kind of hard to see behind all that war.

Kyber

Oct 14, 2009
The history that hasn't happened yet, so basically the future, that or alternative history (cold war escalating etc.)

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
Three Kingdoms Era of China. Followed by the Sengoku and Tokugawa period of Japan and the Renaissance.

Feb 22, 2009
Ancient Greece and Rome are very interesting to me, personally. The idea that they had some form of democracy even so far back in history is quite astonishing to me. Feels like the world ended and restarted again during the dark ages after the fall of Rome.

sextus the crazy

Oct 15, 2011
Squilookle said:
sextus the crazy said:
Battleships were more or less obsolete by the time the first aircraft carriers came around. The only reason we kept them is that they were handy for off-shore shelling, which was very necessary in the pacific. If anything the Yamato showed how vulnerable battleships were to air attack.

Also, there have still been great air battles after WWII. MiG alley in Korea, the vietnam airwar, and to a small extent, the falklands war. In fact, automatic targeting doesn't necessarily make combat easy. In vietnam, we learned that relying solely on air to air missles is a terrible strategy.
Battleships were essentially rendered obsolete the moment the raid on Taranto began, in 1940. This didn't stop them engaging other surface vessels though, like the great clash of the Bismarck and Hood/POW. The moment aerial torpedoes came of age the battleship's days were numbered. WW2 was their last hurrah, and their biggest, too.

I never said missiles made combat easy- I was basically saying that you get better stories, and gameplay without them. Subjective, I know, but dogfights are always way too short with missiles in play.
It was more dive bombers than plane torpedos, but yeah.

Gameplay? We weren't talkin' vidja gamez last time I checked, but I get your point. That said there are still good aircombat stories after WWII. It's just that the WWs get so many because of their grand scale.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
All of it, honestly. I need to get out of a Government Library and into a museum. Might have to go more into the realm of archivist, though. He's hoping I get more conservator training.

If I can't run a little small town library (which is my dream), I want to work in a museum.

I still study history for fun. One little thing will interest me and I'll spend /hours/days/etc learning about the era.

... Now I want to play Emperor and Pharaoh again. Not Zeus, though... don't know why that one sucked... but it did.

kiwi_poo

Apr 15, 2009
Pretty much all of it after the scientific revolution.

My interest gets higher the higher European technological and cultural sophistication gets, so the early middle ages is one of my least favourite periods.

Xeraxis

Aug 7, 2011
For me, it would either have to be Medieval Europe or the late Industrial Age/Old Timey period in America (somewhere between 1890-1929). There's just something about those two time periods that seem so interesting; I can't really explain why exactly.

Muspelheim

Apr 7, 2011
Oh, I... Really can't decide. Every one of them is interesting. And they've all contributed to the long, eternal journey to the point where we're at now, and then beyond.

The ancient Egyptian civilizations are interesting in their way, the Babylonians in another, the mongol Khans, the Roman Empire, the Chinese dynasties and cultures, the norse, the middle ages, the enlightenment... I just can't decide. I think they're all exciting.

But if I have to choose, the First World War and the period beyond is probably the most exciting for me, considering what a titanic change it was, both political and cultural. Likely even greater than the Black Death or the industrialisation.

Of course, there's the future. Say what you like about it, but it's anything but boring.

bauke67

Apr 8, 2011
Jack the Potato said:
World War 2, and the decade or so after it. A common answer, I know, but it was really the lowest point in human history by FAR. Atrocities, civilian targets, racism and bias on all sides; it was so bad I highly doubt that there will ever be another war like it. That's a good thing, because a war like that shouldn't happen ever. Many major world events and situations today have their roots in World War 2, like the Middle Eastern tensions (Israel's formation was expedited largely due to the Holocaust), the Cold War (Nukes, and the extreme distrust of Stalin bred during the War), and the United Nations.

I mean, there will always be bad times, but let's face it: The Great Depression, followed by World War 2, was pretty much rock bottom for all mankind.
Not saying it's not an interesting period, but racism and bias are definitely not inventions of that period, they had been around for ages, just like civilian targets(not sure wether they were targeted as specifically before, but it's definitely not the first time orders were given kill civilians).

OT: I don't really have a favourite period of history, but I guess I like the middle-ages a lot right now due to playing medieval 2.