Persona 4 Arena discussion thread.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Played for a couple of hours. Gonna get back in there after a break.

But yeah, this game is slick. I love it.

It'll take some time getting used to the universal inputs and Persona use, but whatever. I won't be touching multi-player for a while with all this single player content. Gonna decide on a main character once I have finished a decent chunk of the challenges.

So far my favourites are Yukiko, Elizabeth and Yu.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
After playing with Voren and DesertEagleEye, I can say without a doubt that this game is perfect.

I found myself fighting like a pro withing minutes. And I hadn't even played the tutorial yet.

I caters to both hardcores and casuals alike, which is awesome.

Yeah, it's pure awesome.

Make sure you guys come over to the Persona user group linked in the first page and share you online gamer tags and psns so you can duke it out with other members!

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
Yeah, it's great how accessible this game is. Auto combos are actually pretty nice. I love that they allow you to actually learn how to play the game before learning combos. Get used to the game's mechanics, and flow first, and learn how to maximize damage later.

Also, I think I may be the only one, but I find Labrys' Jersey accent adorable.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Razentsu said:
Yeah, it's great how accessible this game is. Auto combos are actually pretty nice. I love that they allow you to actually learn how to play the game before learning combos. Get used to the game's mechanics, and flow first, and learn how to maximize damage later.

Also, I think I may be the only one, but I find Labrys' Jersey accent adorable.

The auto combos are pretty unoptimal really but if you're a novice they give you some edge, just try not to use them as blockstrings cause a blocked special move will be punished.

Oh and I don't really know about that, I use the JP voices of the game since that's the only language I played Persona in. :p

Labrys is voiced by the same person who did Azusa from K-On in Japanese, it's pretty adorable.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
PorkChopXpress said:
RedEyesBlackGamer said:
As much as I hate day one DLC, having Nanako as a commentator and putting glasses on the characters are two things I can't pass up. I'm going to start the game tommorrow and try to get to a point to where I don't suck with Naoto.
If you want to trade usernames here to setup up matches, go ahead.
Xbox or PS3, cuz I bought it on PS3.
I have it on the PS3. My username is RedEyesBlackGmr.

Adultism

Karma Haunts You
Jan 5, 2011
Pretty much amazing in my eyes, one of the few fighting games that I will EVER like. Actually the only one I hate all fighting games. But P3P and P4G (when it comes out) Are my favorite games of all time.

However.

The game is VERY easy to learn but it does take skill if you want to be a good player. I went into score attack and got 3 hits on the enemy before he killed me. I ended up buying the Navigation (people narrate your fight) from the market because you actually have to BEAT score attack to unlock nav.

Good points. Good points. The story is awesome especially since now the P3 and P4 characters get to meet. Its fun and fast paced. I'd give it an 8/10

On a side note I REALLY hope they make more DLC. I would love some more characters, levels, and new costumes or something.

I doubt they will add characters though.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Day one DLC?
So... is it free? What does it do?
Dammit Atlus don't make me hate you...

OctalLord

May 20, 2010
hazabaza1 said:
Day one DLC?
So... is it free? What does it do?
Dammit Atlus don't make me hate you...
The only day one DLC are cosmetic options for the various characters. Extra colours and glasses pretty much. There's also a way to unlock the navigators(People who commentate on your fights) without having to beat the score attack mode.

They do cost a fair bit though. Individually it's not that bad but together the complete packs of colours and glasses will set you back a little over $10

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Dreiko said:
Everyone is unlocked already. You just need to unlock their stories. If you go do training or online or something you can pick Mitsuru right off.
Yeah, I know. I just have this OCD that I have to unlock them in story mode first. Thankfully, I already did :D
Elizabeth is a sick fighter! Overpowered even.

jebara

Nov 19, 2009
Reyold said:
I literally just the game half an hour. I haven't played it yet, since I'm in the middle of another game, but I do intend on playing it.

...That being said, I've never played a Persona game in my life. Is that gonna be a problem?
Just avoid Story mode since it mostly caters to fans and has a huge chunk of reading you have to do.
Arcade mode has story in bits so go with that instead.
Aside from that I hear this game has the style, accessibility and fun gameplay that makes it a must play, even for non fans.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
AbstractStream said:
Dreiko said:
Everyone is unlocked already. You just need to unlock their stories. If you go do training or online or something you can pick Mitsuru right off.
Yeah, I know. I just have this OCD that I have to unlock them in story mode first. Thankfully, I already did :D
Elizabeth is a sick fighter! Overpowered even.

Her offense is great, her life however is the lowest in the game (only 7500) and her mixup is pretty weak. She's actually considered the weakest in the game right now.

AbstractStream

Feb 18, 2011
Dreiko said:
Her offense is great, her life however is the lowest in the game (only 7500) and her mixup is pretty weak. She's actually considered the weakest in the game right now.
Oh man, I hadn't even noticed her stats. I was too focused on her offensive and the fact she uses Thanatos.
One fighter who surprised me was Naoto. When used correctly, she is deadly. Wow.

SwOJester

Jul 9, 2012
I just finished the real ending (The Yu one). Its early I know.

I dont know if its safe to talk about it just yet, so I'll wait for a bit before getting on that.

Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of the new voice they got for Chie? She sounds kinda annoying.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
SwOJester said:
Am I the only one who isn't a big fan of the new voice they got for Chie? She sounds kinda annoying.
She's... okay. Definitely not as good as the other VA.

Teddie's on the other hand, I love. It resembles the previous and makes me laugh a lot more.

Spydercake

Oct 29, 2010
Went with Kanji as my main. I already know the story bits though because I got impatient and suck at fighting games... Makes me impatient for persona 5 now :>

Quantum Star

Jul 17, 2010
I wasn't expecting to like playing as Naoto as much as I did, but damn is she deadly. I wasn't expecting to like Yosuke very much either since all of his fancy aerial skills require a fair bit of precision with the controller, but he's growing on me.

Speaking as someone who's shit at fast paced 2D fighters, I love it. Being Persona definitely helps, but it's easy to get in to and it feels very satisfying when you start to learn the ins and outs and get better at it. Fantastic game; would continue to play for a very long time. (even if I hate what they did to Chie's voice) :(

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
I'm curious. Any idea who the most popular character is? I'd hop online myself to find out, but since I play on the 360 I still have to shell out dollars for online play. ):

Not 100% sure about this, but I think I'm going to main Labrys.

neonsword13-ops

Mar 28, 2011
Razentsu said:
I'm curious. Any idea who the most popular character is? I'd hop online myself to find out, but since I play on the 360 I still have to shell out dollars for online play. ):

Not 100% sure about this, but I think I'm going to main Labrys.
There is no most popular character. Or, atleast not yet. All of the characters are too balanced for players to pick the best one.

I haven't really trained with Labrys any, but she seems like she has a lot of hidden potential, especially with her charge attacks.