Persona 5 Delayed to April

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kaimax said:
RaikuFA said:
Fox12 said:
Honestly, I'm tired of hearing the same four people anyway.
Would you rather have Chaos Wars?
Lol the hilarious Chaos War dub.
I just hope something good comes out from the Voice Actor strike. At least something that will boost the respect on voice actors and resulting in new "trained" voices. Heck, even rookie VAs in Japan is miles better than the rookies from the states.
Whenever someone whines about games having English voice actors, I always point to Chaos Wars and go "it could have been that".

BTW, I actually own that game.

SlumlordThanatos

Lord Inquisitor
Aug 25, 2014
Arina Love said:
kordo said:
Arina Love said:
Awwwww yiiiis! Finally Japanese audio! Was puking all over the place watching english P5 trailers, finally i don't have to listen to talentless mediocrity.
Absolute rubbish, take your weeaboo hat off for a second. The English voice overs for this series are actually some of the best for a jrpg.
Thanks for your opinion chump. As for me? Nope not even close. English voice acting in Japanese games/anime will never ever be anything more than painful mediocrity. So even best dub there is STILL can't even hold a candle to Japanese counterpart.

PS. Both Japanese and English languages are foreign to me, and i can understand both of them.
Dubs are one thing.

JRPG localizations are something else entirely. Developers typically have more freedom to recut and reanimate in order to fit a translated script, and with the proper talent, they can be every bit as good as the native script. See also: Persona 3 and 4.

I'm with kordo on this. Take off your weaboo hat and give us a real reason why Japanese voices are better other than "they're just better"

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
SlumlordThanatos said:
Arina Love said:
kordo said:
Arina Love said:
Awwwww yiiiis! Finally Japanese audio! Was puking all over the place watching english P5 trailers, finally i don't have to listen to talentless mediocrity.
Absolute rubbish, take your weeaboo hat off for a second. The English voice overs for this series are actually some of the best for a jrpg.
Thanks for your opinion chump. As for me? Nope not even close. English voice acting in Japanese games/anime will never ever be anything more than painful mediocrity. So even best dub there is STILL can't even hold a candle to Japanese counterpart.

PS. Both Japanese and English languages are foreign to me, and i can understand both of them.
Dubs are one thing.

JRPG localizations are something else entirely. Developers typically have more freedom to recut and reanimate in order to fit a translated script, and with the proper talent, they can be every bit as good as the native script. See also: Persona 3 and 4.

I'm with kordo on this. Take off your weaboo hat and give us a real reason why Japanese voices are better other than "they're just better"
Thanks for your opinion too chump. Apparently you never heard of the concept of opinions. And just spewing insults when you disagree with someone. Good job mate. I thought p3 and p4 english voice over was mediocre to absolutely god awful( See: Nanako.) I liked the undubbed version so much better.

Kaimax

Jul 25, 2012
SlumlordThanatos said:
a real reason why Japanese voices are better other than "they're just better"
Putting Aside Taste and Preference.

One thing that really makes a difference is Voice Acting Schools
In Japan, the Voice acting industry is a very competitive and highly paid.
One way to survive that, an amateur goes to Voice Acting Schools. But they don't hand over the diplomas, to graduate at one of these schools is actually hard, and this is why Japanese Dubbers has a higher level quality in their acting
Examples of famous seiyuu who started with these schools:
Megumi Hayashibara, Rie Tanaka, Kenichi Suzuhara etc

Sure there are other ways through Theater and Broadcasting, but there's no other sign of quality then graduating those schools.

Heck, Scouted Talents and Voice Acting Competition winners still have to go through Voice acting school first.

Then there's the Pay. Compared to other jobs in the anime industry a Popular Voice Actor will even get paid more than the Director. While in the states the Strike was caused by this issue along with working conditions.

and this is just from the viewpoint of the industry ecosystem alone, basically forcing them to reach a certain level of quality.

Of course Troy Baker is good, Nolan North is good, but compared to the Japanese, Good English voice actors are a handful. There are also no strict competitiveness on getting a job and there's no cycle of good rookies being made.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
RaikuFA said:
Fox12 said:
Kaimax said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Arina Love said:
Why, has the voice acting taken a downturn? The likes of Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Johnny Yong Bosch were attached to Persona 4...
Probably because, most of the prominent English voice actors are on strike..
Looking at the Cast list, I barely recognize any of them.

So F-YEAH for Dual Audio, I don't need to search a copy of the Japanese Version anymore.
This would all have been in development well before the strike.

Besides, the talent slipped after the P4 release. The new voices in P4 Golden were hot garbage. Hopefully this isn't an issue in P5.

I don't know, I may have preferred it to the new chie voice : P

The change did make me realize how much voice acting influenced my perception of a character, though.

Arina Love said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Arina Love said:
kordo said:
Arina Love said:

Dubs are one thing.

Thanks for your opinion too chump. Apparently you never heard of the concept of opinions. And just spewing insults when you disagree with someone. Good job mate. I thought p3 and p4 english voice over was mediocre to absolutely god awful( See: Nanako.) I liked the undubbed version so much better.
He didn't insult you, though.

The average Japanese VA is better then the average american VA, since they have schools for that in Japan, and a larger talent pool to draw from. That said, a lot of people take their criticism too far. A lot of English VA's are extremely talented, and have acting experience of their own. It's not like the lead VA's in the industry were picked up off the street.

Arina Love

GOT MOE?
Apr 8, 2010
Fox12 said:
RaikuFA said:
Fox12 said:
Kaimax said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Arina Love said:
Why, has the voice acting taken a downturn? The likes of Laura Bailey, Troy Baker, and Johnny Yong Bosch were attached to Persona 4...
Probably because, most of the prominent English voice actors are on strike..
Looking at the Cast list, I barely recognize any of them.

So F-YEAH for Dual Audio, I don't need to search a copy of the Japanese Version anymore.
This would all have been in development well before the strike.

Besides, the talent slipped after the P4 release. The new voices in P4 Golden were hot garbage. Hopefully this isn't an issue in P5.

The change did make me realize how much voice acting influenced my perception of a character, though.

Arina Love said:
SlumlordThanatos said:
Arina Love said:
kordo said:
Arina Love said:

Dubs are one thing.

He didn't insult you, though.

The average Japanese VA is better then the average american VA, since they have schools for that in Japan, and a larger talent pool to draw from. That said, a lot of people take their criticism too far. A lot of English VA's are extremely talented, and have acting experience of their own. It's not like the lead VA's in the industry were picked up off the street.
But he did. Just because i enjoy Japanese voice acting way more than english one in a Japanese game i'm labeled as weaboo. Yes here are decent english VAs they are just not for me when it comes to Japanese media.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Fox12 said:

I don't even remember the new voice but I remember people complaining about the old voice as well.

ckam

Make America Great For Who?
Oct 8, 2008
Did somebody report on an anticipated game being delayed? Let's hound the reporter and accuse them of click-baiting!

Anyways, I'm really happy with the dual audio set-up announcement. I've always had a problem with the same characters getting new English voice actors for every single game.