Pet Appreciation Thread

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
I still hold a fairly strong belief that there are no bad dogs, just bad owners.
I broadly agree, but the Bully XL dogs are a bit worrying, though I still fall on the side of that one being a bad owners issue. The problem is that it's bad owners with extremely strong dogs! They don't even seem that big, just very dense and powerful. I'd be amazed if they aren't on the banned breeds list in the UK within the year.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I worked for a major pet-supply chain for ten years. Met hundreds of Pitties. To a one, they would rather have loved you to death than harmed a hair on your head.

The only bite incident I was ever around for was from an overstressed Golden Retriever.
Yeah, Pitties in the US are so plentiful that if you get a rescue and you don't wanna know? Don't ask. My daughter who lives with us was told if she had to get a dog, no pitties as the wife not only hates dogs but fears pitties. So she got a rescue from Texas, reportedly 1/2 chocolate lab, 1/2 pointer. Nope. No pointer. About 1/2 pitbull. 1/4 lab, 1/4 "super mutt". Oddly, the wife, who hates dogs, considers herself a grandmother now.
1694685784493.png

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Yeah, Pitties in the US are so plentiful that if you get a rescue and you don't wanna know? Don't ask.
A lot of rescues will simply list them as some variety of mix or unknown breed to avoid the stigma pitties get and allow people to claim ignorance as regards insurance and the like. My wife wanted a second dog and we went to a few rescues looking at the different pups and probably half of the "unknown mix" or "hound mix" dogs were pits or pit mixes.

Reactions: gorfias

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Nolan hit 6 months, and at the vet's advisement, we had him fixed yesterday. He is NOT happy with us.

Funny thing is, this was his third trip to the vet since we got him; shots the first time, second was pre-op blood work, and yesterday castration. Each trip started in his pet taxi (which he normally loves to lay in,) followed by a car ride, then entering the vet's office which has a very potent and distinct air freshener aroma. The last trip, he was silent the whole car ride, but the moment I opened the door to the vet and that aroma wafted out, he let out several "meeoOOOOooow!" He knows the vet now, and associates it with pain. I think we've permanently damaged the trust between us. He still needs us and will let us cuddle and pet him, but I don't think he likes us anymore. (Can't say I blame him :confused:)

1698960476796.png