Pet peeves that make you nerd rage

Happiness Assassin

Oct 11, 2012
A few things actually:

On the traditionally nerdcentric arenas, Star Wars, both to defend it (some of the aspects of the prequels) and both to say how stupid a lot of it is (90% of what the Expanded Universe was). I ate up so much of the universe and I knew what worked and what didn't and I was willing to fight over it.

Recently, I have also been super pissed at some superhero movies *cough* Man of Steel *cough*. I actually read a bunch of my dad's comics as a kid and I found myself more personally invested than I thought I was.

In a less nerdcentric area, I have to go with how some people just get so much about guns wrong. I won't go into to much detail for fear of a gun control debate ensuing, but needless to say I find both sides often are talking nonsense about guns. And it pisses me off.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
When people are stingy with their healing potions in games like Diablo. Seriously, if you have a chance to heal up, use it! They do not cost real-world money. See now you just died because you were wandering around at 1/3 health, don't be so cheap.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Zhukov said:
When a book gets turned into a movie or TV show, then they start publishing the book with photographs of actors on the cover.

Hssssssss!
Yeah, I hate that too.

Here are some examples:

Will Smith's character doesn't exist in this book. It would be just as accurate to have a picture of Batman.

Not only did they change the book's title from All You Need Is Kill to the much less cool Edge of Tomorrow, they also got this one a cover that features characters that don't appear anywhere in the book. Here's the beautiful original cover, which was replaced with the movie poster:

You have to admit that the cover above is much more beautiful than the movie cover down here:

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Johny_X2 said:
Yes you do. I am a law student and I call myself a lawyer.
A 10 year old calling himself an adult doesn't make him one, even if he is on his way to becoming one.

Words have different meanings depending on their use and the context they are used in is a very poor argument. If we'd all use any word to describe anything, as long as it's loosely connected, we might as well not bother with language any more and go back to grunting and pointing.

I might as well start calling myself a lawyer as well since I contemplated going to law school at some point. It's only a few steps away from actually joining law school, which is only a few steps from actually becoming a lawyer, right?.

Speaking of language, I can't stand it when people say "I could care less" instead of "I couldn't care less". For fuck's sake, do you not put ANY thought in what comes out your mouth? Do you not stop to think for a second and realize just how idiotic and nonsensical the phrase is??

But no. The sheep never do.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
One of my biggest pet peeves is when everyone calls an anime series,,movie, or OVA just an anime. How the hell am I supposed to know what your talking about if you don't just call it what it is. Usually they come in one form or another. Just call it a movie,tv show,film or an OVA. I simply can't understand why new anime fans are like that. Almost as bad has the old Japanimation term that was popular during the 90s.

I also agree with the people saying that FF VII is overhyped. I've played all of the early Final Fantasies and I bought FF VI the day it came out. FF VI really blew me way, but FF VII topped FF VI in every way especially the music. Uemastu really outdid himself with that soundtrack. It's that good!

Lastly, I can't stand when people brush off classic gaming because it isn't "new". Having grown up with the old consoles and seeing just how awesome games were back then, modern video gaming just doesn't have that charm. I don't care how much technology as progressed! It's about creativity. Creativity should be more important than the technology. It doesn't take MILLIONS of dollars to create an awesome game. I miss the old days!

Edit: I forgot to add that peeves me that whenever people recommend anime series, All I ever hear about is FMA or Cowboy Bebop. They are great series, but nowhere near the legendary status that people paint them as.

Jolly Co-operator

A Heavy Sword
Mar 10, 2012
I hate it when people say "times it by" instead of "multiply by". That's right, I'm so averse to math that I focus on linguistic errors instead.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Julius Terrell said:
I also agree with the people saying that FF VII is overhyped. I've played all of the early Final Fantasies and I bought FF VI the day it came out. FF VI really blew me way, but FF VII topped FF VI in every way especially the music. Uemastu really outdid himself with that soundtrack. It's that good!
I don't get it. First you say that Final Fantasy VII is overhyped, but then you gush about how awesome it is. Did you mean to say that FF VI is overhyped?

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Queen Michael said:
Julius Terrell said:
I don't get it. First you say that Final Fantasy VII is overhyped, but then you gush about how awesome it is. Did you mean to say that FF VI is overhyped?
Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I said. I mean I disagree with the people that complain about the people who say FF VII overhyped.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
I tend to have more geek rage I suppose.

Denial of evolution: No not even going to try it I will just yell...HOLY SHIT IT IS BETTER UNDERSTOOD THAN GRAVITY! See?
Speaking of gravity: Yeah there is gravity is in space hence us orbiting the sun. That is caused br gravity.
Chemicals: Water is made of them, everything save energy IS MADE OF CHEMICALS! Chemicals =/= shit that kills you.
Theory: No... you do not have a theory that Elvis is still alive as a theory explains a set of observed facts.
States of matter: No, you are wrong many things can be liquid or gas or solid not just water.

Zeras

Apr 2, 2013
Julius Terrell said:
Queen Michael said:
Julius Terrell said:
Sorry if I wasn't clear in what I said. I mean I disagree with the people that complain about the people who say FF VII overhyped.
So, you do believe that FF VII is over-hyped? I ask because that is what it sounds like you're saying.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Zeras said:
Julius Terrell said:
Queen Michael said:
Julius Terrell said:
So, you do believe that FF VII is over-hyped? I ask because that is what it sounds like you're saying.
No I don't. My post might sound a little confusing, but I believe 100% that it deserves the credit it deserves.

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
jademunky said:
When people are stingy with their healing potions in games like Diablo. Seriously, if you have a chance to heal up, use it! They do not cost real-world money. See now you just died because you were wandering around at 1/3 health, don't be so cheap.
but...but...I might really need those 700 potions later!

(I do this in every game with limited use healing and fully realise its stupid.)

andago

Jan 24, 2012
shootthebandit said:
Not really "nerd" rage but when people call football "soccer". Its always been called football, its a sport in which you primarily move a "ball" using your "foot"
Actually, I'd heard that soccer was what it was originally called as it grew into a sport, a shortening of 'association football', to differentiate it from other ball games such as 'rugby football'.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
I hate it when a bunch of enemies just bum-rush me in a cover-based third person shooter. It's completely immersion breaking, and, on top of that, usually player-controlled units can't do it due to wearing what amounts to plastic compared the the enemies' steel-plated Kevlar. Seriously, as much as I love Mass Effect, it has this as a pretty damn noticeable problem.

DarklordKyo

Nov 22, 2009
Redlin5 said:
I cringe internally whenever I have to explain what game my arm tattoo comes from. It kind of disappoints me that Freelancer is an unknown game to the masses but I do get angry when people say its very hipster of me to get a tattoo from a game they've never heard of. I'm not a damn hipster, I just have been playing games for a while! I hate it when people's eyes glaze over when I explain the game isn't from a console. Its as if they're looking at me and saying "Then it isn't a game worth talking about.".

In fact, let's just put the whole media format war thing here. I don't give a shit about console vs PC vs mobile vs banana or whatever. Stop trying to recruit me to one side or another! I have no interest in bashing on one medium of gaming just to make me feel more secure about another medium I prefer. I derive pleasure from gaming, not about arguing about gaming. Leave me out of it.
No, please, you must join us in the banana master race. Our ample stores of potassium will inherit the Earth, lol

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
VladG said:
Johny_X2 said:
Yes you do. I am a law student and I call myself a lawyer.
A 10 year old calling himself an adult doesn't make him one, even if he is on his way to becoming one.
not the same thing. Now I am most likely never going to actually be a lawyer lawyer. But when talking to other students, the term 'lawyer' is really just a short way to say 'law student'. I'm sticking to the 'poor argument' because words do mean different things in different contexts depending on who uses them. And unlike your '10-year-old adult' argument, 'lawyer' is a frequently employed short version of 'law student' used among british law students. that doesn't mean we actually think we're lawyers. no. it just simplifies the conversation when the person you're talking to knows what you're talking about. It's essentially slang. You only use the alternative meaning within a limited group of people. I wouldn't call myself a lawyer when talking to anyone other than a student. That's because I'm not an arrogant prick. But it is a thing, at least where I live, and denying it's a thing is not going to make it less of a thing.

Hades

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2013
Country
The Netherlands
I refuse to call it nerdrage because i'm not the type of person that rages at all. I do have a number of history related pet peeves i'm firm about though.

The most important one being that Napoleon Bonaparte is NOT a predecessor to Hitler. They share some similarities if you look only at the surface level but i find comparing these two is the same as comparing fire and water.

America did not win the war of 1813, not at all. Officially it was a draw because it chanced nothing to the Status quo. Unofficially I would give the victory to the British if a victor should have to be declared. The British accomplished their objective of keeping Canada and burned down Washington. The Americans on the other hand failed in their objectives. They did not take Canada and their casus belli wasn't even mentioned in the peace treaty. It also wasn't the war of independence round two. America was the aggressor.

Looking at the past with our own morality generally gets a negative reaction out of me. Exceptions exist but in general you should look at the past, through the eyes of the past as best as you can. Why study history if you refuse to understand that history?

Nero did not fiddle while Rome burned. He was to busy giving people shelter in his palace.

Lastly History is not pointless and its certainly not boring!

Now for some video game ones

The people blaming Video games for every murder is the only thing on this list that actually makes me rage. Those people are on the bottom of the intellectual pool and anyone believing or having sympathy for that nonsense will have to do a lot to regain my respect.

The mass effect 3 ending...all of it. I find it hard to understand both sides. I agree the ending sucked but people definitely overreacted with how worked up they got over it. The people who thought nothing was wrong with the original ending also baffle me. That ending was clearly unfinished and far, far to vague.

It won't get a negative reaction out of me but at least a baffled one. I can't understand why gamers would outright hate Nintendo. I get it if you don't like Nintendo or aren't interested in Nintendo but outright hate? We all do realize our most prominent hobby is for a big part the result of their legacy right?