Pet peeves that make you nerd rage

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Hades said:
Nero did not fiddle while Rome burned. He was to busy giving people shelter in his palace.
Hey? Was he not outside the city at the time, and played no part?

DANEgerous said:
States of matter: No, you are wrong many things can be liquid or gas or solid not just water.
Hey? This is a thing?

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
thaluikhain said:
DANEgerous said:
States of matter: No, you are wrong many things can be liquid or gas or solid not just water.
Hey? This is a thing?
Sadly yeah I had dry ice and quite a few people thought it could poison you because you know the whole "It is Chemicals" thing I explained it is just Co2 you literally exhale it only to get "We exhale gas you know think about it". Also as to how Flambé works I said that alchahol needs to vaporize and become a gas to ignite fairly frequently to be told that alchahol is a liquid and that I am wrong. How they know that despite being demonstrably wrong is rather sad.

Artina89

Oct 27, 2008
I don't know if this is classed as "nerdy" but when people spell definitely as definately. I see it fairly often and it sticks in my craw every time I see it. That, and the phrase "grammar Nazi" irritates me as well. I am not a grammar Nazi, if you have spelt something wrong, or a sentence doesn't read properly, I have every right to point that out. It does not mean that I am a grammar Nazi.

Here is a good link from the Oatmeal about spelling definitely:

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling

michael87cn

Jan 12, 2011
Exaggeration, specifically when people are bragging about how good they are at games.

"Oh yeah. In WoW I can get to level 20 in like 12 minutes." Uhh, bullshizz...

"Oh it only takes me like 10 minutes to Super train my pokemon." Uh... takes me like an hour and a half...

Very annoying.

it also bothers me when I see people in chat in some games bragging about how high they are, or drunk. Uh, so what? Did you get drunk just so you could tell a bunch of anonymous people online about it? Nobody cares? Cool? Oh! You take illegal substances too? Wow! Good for you! (you sack of ...)

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
To the surprise of absolutely bloody no-one, I hate people who are shitty about girl gamers.
Especially those who use the sneaky `Oh, but I don't mean girls who ACTUALLY play games I just have an irrational hate of people who couldn't possibly affect me at all, all of whom are female and have been seen near games consoles at some point- those bitches`.
Or people who think I shouldn't identify as a girl gamer. Fuck that noise.

But to less expected things-

I hate being corrected by someone who is wrong. If you're correcting me on something I am wrong about, I will admit it and be like `oh yeah whoops`. But if you are wrong, I will drag you to the nearest computer and Google that shit to show you that you are wrong.

Also nerd elitism is terrible and gives me much much nerd rage.

Oct 20, 2010
TheJJBL said:
Well mine is going to sound quite petty but I guess that's the point of the thread.

When dragons only have two legs and two wings, I didn't start off raging at that, but then in the hobbit movie Smaug the dragon, the one that's meant to set the record straight, to be the codifier for dragons only has 4 limbs, that annoyed me to no end. The reason for it was even worse, with the people talking about how they were emulating birds and bats and how they don't have four legs, and I can only think "Well it's not meant to be a bird or a bat it's supposed to be a damn dragon".
How many wings do you want then??? I am pretty sure I agree with you, though I have difficulty with your English. A dragon has Four limbs, a tail and Wings. If it has only Hind legs, it is a Wyvern.

My own nerdrage pet peeve is when writers spend their "creativity" making needless changes to a brand rather than writing good stories. Tranformers are the wrong vehicles, Spider-Man producing webbing internally in the Raimi movies, Michaelangelo now using a 3 section staff rather than Nun-chucks. It COMPLETELY erodes my confidence in your ability to do the series justice.

This one gets its own line: Raphael's Sai. FFS the FIRST google result is a 10 minute video about the proper way to use this weapon. I wouldn't care so much, but they constantly depict him holding his Sai in a manner the will DIRECTLY and CERTAINLY result in his fingers being cut off.

Captcha: the extra mile Mile? I wish they'd go the first step, fucking hacks

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
Three of my biggest pet-peeves are nerd elitism, liberal use of retcons; ESPECIALLY when they contradict the rules of the work, and console war shit involving a person having to be on a specific side.

Tayh

Apr 6, 2009
People who can't tell the difference between then/than, definitely/defiantly, their/there or where/were. Especially if they're native English speakers.
I usually scroll past any posts containing one of the above errors.

gagagaga

Aug 17, 2013
Animu nerd rages:

People using the Japanese names for anime instead of English ones just confuses me. It's a lot easier to remember a bunch of English words rather than Japanese ones, so why would you do this?

People using "Puella Magi" instead of magical girls when talking about Madoka Magica. I don't care what's in the title, the dialogue uses the words "mahou shoujo".

Phlogiston

Apr 27, 2014
Michael Tabbut said:
Three of my biggest pet-peeves are nerd elitism, liberal use of retcons; ESPECIALLY when they contradict the rules of the work, and console war shit involving a person having to be on a specific side.
BUT the megacorporation I decided to invest in a product from MUST be better than the megacorporation you decided invest in a product from because psychology [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization]

Eamar

Elite Member
Feb 22, 2012
Country
UK
Colour Scientist said:
I don't know if this counts, different kind of nerd rage I guess, but it really bugs me when someone describes themselves as a professional when they're a student.

Especially when people describe themselves as historians or something.

I did an undergrad and a masters in history, I would never describe myself as one because I never worked professionally as one.
You don't call yourself a lawyer if you're doing a law undergraduate. You're a medical student before you qualify, not a doctor.

I'm currently an archives student, not an archivist, not yet.
Ummm... at my university this is the done thing. Medical students are medics rather than doctors, but law students are lawyers, biology students are biologists, etc. It's not just the students who do it either, my tutors would describe me and the other people on my course as "the historians." Obviously it's not meant in the professional sense, but it's considered legitimate. Hell, that sort of phrasing even turns up in official university communications.

I was under the impression that this was pretty normal :/

OT: It's snobbery pure and simple, but I hate it when people act like they're an authority on Tolkien/Middle Earth when they haven't even read The Silmarillion, let alone any of the other less well-known books. I really do try not to let it show, but it makes my blood boil. It's so disappointing to think I'm going to be able to have a really nerdy, in-depth discussion only to realise that they won't have a clue what I'm on about 80% of the time.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
Concerning manga and anime translation, I hate it when they include name honorifics in series that take place somewhere else than Japan. Like in Pandora Hearts. It takes place in a Victorian England-ish world, so obviously they shouldn't be adding -san and -kun to each other's names. Drives me nuts.

Suhi89

Oct 9, 2013
Phlogiston said:
"I could care less"

I'm with David Mitchell on this one [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om7O0MFkmpw]
'erbs is the one that gets me. My fiance is Canadian and I swear she talks about 'erbal tea just to irritate me.

OT: My Masters thesis was on the Higgs boson and it really annoys me when people talk about the Higgs boson being "What gives particles mass." I'm just a pedant really because it's kinda close to being true and it's not nearly as annoying as when people say "isn't that the God particle" (grrrr) but it's not technically correct and, as we know, that is the best kind of correct.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
KoTOR 2. God, I hate that game. It's a good game, but I hate it.

Mass Effect 2. It's inferior to the first game in every possible way (at least IMO), but it's still not bad. Which makes me hate it all the more.

The Dark Side of the Force. You can't just "decide to use it for good", you fucking snowflake. It is an immortal semi-sentient cosmic force present throughout the galaxy, hell-bent on chaos and destruction, and will use any means necessary to achieve said chaos and destruction. That includes you. You are a means to it's ends. Not the other way around. It will discard you whenever the hell it feels like it and you won't see it coming. Thinking otherwise is the downfall of literally every single Dark Jedi and Sith, ever.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Though I usually don't hate when it comes to things like films or rules, I hate it when somebody uses the term "better" to describe something as good or "worse" to describe something as bad. I mean sure song/film/game X is worse than song/film/game Y, but it doesn't make X bad.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Sturgeon's law. I don't know what it is about this, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I guess I just don't like the generalization of "90% of everything is crap". It seems like such a cynical, depressing mindset.

Also, I'm just against the whole idea of "This percentage of ______ is good / bad." like it's a sure fact and is used as an end-all to any debate or discussion.

Other than that...

- People who still debate whether anime are cartoons or not.

Yes. Yes they fucking are. I still can not in the right mind believe that this is still an argument going on. I firmly believe that people who say anime are not cartoons do not know what cartoons are.

- Long anime / manga / light novel titles.

Long titles that translate to stuff like "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute!", or (and this is an anime I like) "No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!" That's not a title, that's a phrase. An entire sentence even. All that's saying to me is "Look at me, I've made a unconventional title for my book / anime, aren't I so funny?" (That should seriously be the title for one of these things, because then I'd know they're full of shit.)

-The term "Waifu"

No matter how it's used, even if it's ironically, it just irritates me.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
DaWaffledude said:
KoTOR 2. God, I hate that game. It's a good game, but I hate it.

Mass Effect 2. It's inferior to the first game in every possible way (at least IMO), but it's still not bad. Which makes me hate it all the more.

The Dark Side of the Force. You can't just "decide to use it for good", you fucking snowflake. It is an immortal semi-sentient cosmic force present throughout the galaxy, hell-bent on chaos and destruction, and will use any means necessary to achieve said chaos and destruction. That includes you. You are a means to it's ends. Not the other way around. It will discard you whenever the hell it feels like it and you won't see it coming. Thinking otherwise is the downfall of literally every single Dark Jedi and Sith, ever.
In regards to Kotor 2, the villain's (supposed) motivation was the death of the force because of the exact reasons you've stated. Granted she was a consummate lying ubermensch, but overall she was aware of the Force (Light and Dark side) manipulative nature.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
"Batman is my favorite super hero."
"Star Wars is my favorite Science Fiction series."

Batman is a costumed vigilante or adventurer. Star Wars is a "future fantasy" series.

I'll never act like an asshole and call you out on pedantic shit like that...but it still puts a hitch in my giddyup.