Pet peeves that make you nerd rage

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
The statement "I could care less" gives me OCD.
It's just illogical, what are you saying random guy? Wat?
Could you care less or not because the tone of your comment implies that you're just not interested and yet you're saying that you are at least on some level interested since you apparently could care less.

It doesn't really send me into a nerdrage though.
Actually when it comes down to it I could care less really.

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
[Kira Must Die said:
]Sturgeon's law. I don't know what it is about this, but it just rubs me the wrong way. I guess I just don't like the generalization of "90% of everything is crap". It seems like such a cynical, depressing mindset.

Also, I'm just against the whole idea of "This percentage of ______ is good / bad." like it's a sure fact and is used as an end-all to any debate or discussion.

Other than that...

- People who still debate whether anime are cartoons or not.

Yes. Yes they fucking are. I still can not in the right mind believe that this is still an argument going on. I firmly believe that people who say anime are not cartoons do not know what cartoons are.

- Long anime / manga / light novel titles.

Long titles that translate to stuff like "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute!", or (and this is an anime I like) "No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!" That's not a title, that's a phrase. An entire sentence even. All that's saying to me is "Look at me, I've made a unconventional title for my book / anime, aren't I so funny?" (That should seriously be the title for one of these things, because then I'd know they're full of shit.)

-The term "Waifu"

No matter how it's used, even if it's ironically, it just irritates me.
How about I disagree with you, and I DON'T watch cartoons PERIOD!!!!! I don't care how much you ***** about it! The term here in the U.S. is used to offend people like me because of how our culture views animation. Technical definitions be damned!

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
Everyone who says Harry should have just used a gun to kill Voldemort. No, just no. 1) a gun wouldn't work at Hogwarts due to 'magical interference'. 2) Voldemort would know what a gun was, being raised by muggles, and would cast some sort of spell the moment he saw it to destroy it. Ok? Ok!

That and whenever someone quotes something wrong, I just have to correct them.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Suhi89 said:
[quote="Phlogiston" post="18.848905.20960037
'erbs is the one that gets me. My fiance is Canadian and I swear she talks about 'erbal tea just to irritate me.
The "H" is silent dammit!

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
DementedSheep said:
jademunky said:
When people are stingy with their healing potions in games like Diablo. Seriously, if you have a chance to heal up, use it! They do not cost real-world money. See now you just died because you were wandering around at 1/3 health, don't be so cheap.
but...but...I might really need those 700 potions later!

(I do this in every game with limited use healing and fully realise its stupid.)
Yeah I do it too.

Its only when OTHER people do it that it seems to set me off.

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Grimh said:
Could you care less or not because the tone of your comment implies that you're just not interested and yet you're saying that you are at least on some level interested since you apparently could care less.
I disagree. If someone truly could not care less, then they would be at their peak apathy. As such, they wouldn't have bothered to comment on how little they cared in the first place. So, by the virtue that they did feel it was necessary to let the world know how little they care, it shows they care just a little. Thus, they could care less.

newfoundsky

Feb 9, 2010
madwarper said:
Grimh said:
I disagree. If someone truly could not care less, then they would be at their peak apathy. As such, they wouldn't have bothered to comment on how little they cared in the first place. So, by the virtue that they did feel it was necessary to let the world know how little they care, it shows they care just a little. Thus, they could care less.
It actually upsets me when people make such a big deal over LANGUAGE. The one thing we all have in common.

For example. "I could care less/I couldn't care less."

I use them interchangeably, because they mean the same thing, even if the words themselves, taken by themselves, do not.

My biggest pet peeve is when you will start a story like this: "Me and Steph-" at this point you will be cut off with "Stephanie and I." Seriously, it is the same fucking sentence, only now you get to feel smug. I used to have this argument with my mother all the time, but I digress. People that try and correct spoken fucking word are the worst and should have hounds set loose upon them. Literally. And figuratively. Literally.

[Kira Must Die]

Incubator
Sep 30, 2009
Julius Terrell said:
How about I disagree with you, and I DON'T watch cartoons PERIOD!!!!! I don't care how much you ***** about it! The term here in the U.S. is used to offend people like me because of how our culture views animation. Technical definitions be damned!
Alright. That's fine, although I'm curious as to why you feel that way. I love cartoons, and I love anime, and I never seen it as an insult to put the two together because I always saw anime as another type of cartoon.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
Basically when anyone comments about sci-fi/fantasy only being for "nerds" and "geeks".

What in the actual fuck? This doesn't happen nearly as much anymore, but when it does... asldfjlasdhufoiyasod!asdo38yr92q3yraowiesdl

Gaius Livius

Oct 30, 2013
People who have irrational annoyances. Why? Because it's hard to get along with those people. Not saying everyone who has posted here doesn't have a reasonable point. It's just there are plenty who don't. I am fine with it if it is something that people find a little irksome. I am on about the people who will make it into a big deal and rant about it for ages and so on. Acting like you just ran into their house, messed the place up, murdered their cat and danced on the grave of a relative whilst talking about how you think the holocaust was justified and discredited all their interests.

Naeras

Mar 1, 2011
When the following conversation happens:

???: "So what are you studying?"
Me: "I'm doing a master project on skin cancer"
???: "Oh so maybe one day you'll be the one finally curing cancer!"
Me: *twitch*

..CANCER DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY >=[
I blame the sensationalist media for this misconception.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
Whenever I mentio anything about an FPS game and people instantly start saying "Spunkgargleweewee". Or just spend their time quaoting Yahtee like he actually reviews games instead of picking the worst thing about them for his videos.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
Michael Tabbut said:
DaWaffledude said:
KoTOR 2. God, I hate that game. It's a good game, but I hate it.

Mass Effect 2. It's inferior to the first game in every possible way (at least IMO), but it's still not bad. Which makes me hate it all the more.

The Dark Side of the Force. You can't just "decide to use it for good", you fucking snowflake. It is an immortal semi-sentient cosmic force present throughout the galaxy, hell-bent on chaos and destruction, and will use any means necessary to achieve said chaos and destruction. That includes you. You are a means to it's ends. Not the other way around. It will discard you whenever the hell it feels like it and you won't see it coming. Thinking otherwise is the downfall of literally every single Dark Jedi and Sith, ever.
In regards to Kotor 2, the villain's (supposed) motivation was the death of the force because of the exact reasons you've stated. Granted she was a consummate lying ubermensch, but overall she was aware of the Force (Light and Dark side) manipulative nature.
Well, first of all, worth noting is that there's no mention of a "Light Side" in the movies. At best, Obi-Wan tells Anakin to "come back to the light", which isn't really the same thing. But it seems to have been taken as canon by now, so...

Kreia was an idiot, and her plan made no sense. Yes, kill the force by removing a particularly large wound, that'll work. And why the hell use the Jedi Exile? What about Nihilius? Why not use him? Last I checked, the Exile couldn't instakill an entire planet (which opens a whole can of worms by itself). Hell, why not use both? And she made the most bizzarely over-complex plan I've ever seen. What was the point of gathering the Jedi Council? She was going to cut them off from the force anyway. She could have just hi-jacked the Ebon Hawk as soon as they were off Telos and gone straight to Malachor V.

And what did she expect to happen once the Force was gone? Instant galactic peace? If she was lucky, it wouldn't kill everything instantly. Every time I think about this game's plot, I find more and more problems with it.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
Johny_X2 said:
I find it kind of infuriating when people associate cartoons with children. I was telling a friend about Archer the other day and had to bite down on my tongue when she asked why it was animated if it wasn't for kids.
I hate this one. Also goes for comics and games and such. And in addition, even if cartoon/comic/game was made for children, how does that make it bad and why am I not allowed to enjoy it? Is Mario Party made for kids? Maybe, doesn't mean me and some friends cant have a ton of fun with it.

DANEgerous said:
Chemicals: Water is made of them, everything save energy IS MADE OF CHEMICALS! Chemicals =/= shit that kills you.
States of matter
Arg, this always hurts my brain so much. "I wouldn't eat that, its full of chemicals, they are bad for you."
What?

Also, I've heard some stupid shit before, but the "States of matter" thing is a new one.

Michael Tabbut

May 22, 2013
DaWaffledude said:
Michael Tabbut said:
DaWaffledude said:
KoTOR 2. God, I hate that game. It's a good game, but I hate it.

Mass Effect 2. It's inferior to the first game in every possible way (at least IMO), but it's still not bad. Which makes me hate it all the more.

The Dark Side of the Force. You can't just "decide to use it for good", you fucking snowflake. It is an immortal semi-sentient cosmic force present throughout the galaxy, hell-bent on chaos and destruction, and will use any means necessary to achieve said chaos and destruction. That includes you. You are a means to it's ends. Not the other way around. It will discard you whenever the hell it feels like it and you won't see it coming. Thinking otherwise is the downfall of literally every single Dark Jedi and Sith, ever.
In regards to Kotor 2, the villain's (supposed) motivation was the death of the force because of the exact reasons you've stated. Granted she was a consummate lying ubermensch, but overall she was aware of the Force (Light and Dark side) manipulative nature.
Well, first of all, worth noting is that there's no mention of a "Light Side" in the movies. At best, Obi-Wan tells Anakin to "come back to the light", which isn't really the same thing. But it seems to have been taken as canon by now, so...

Kreia was an idiot, and her plan made no sense. Yes, kill the force by removing a particularly large wound, that'll work. And why the hell use the Jedi Exile? What about Nihilius? Why not use him? Last I checked, the Exile couldn't instakill an entire planet (which opens a whole can of worms by itself). Hell, why not use both? And she made the most bizzarely over-complex plan I've ever seen. What was the point of gathering the Jedi Council? She was going to cut them off from the force anyway. She could have just hi-jacked the Ebon Hawk as soon as they were off Telos and gone straight to Malachor V.

And what did she expect to happen once the Force was gone? Instant galactic peace? If she was lucky, it wouldn't kill everything instantly. Every time I think about this game's plot, I find more and more problems with it.
I said supposed plan. I agree her plan was a convoluted mess and for all we know she just wanted to die. Besides, Kreia was basically an author avatar for Chris Avellone, pointing out shit in Star Wars canon that bothered him.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Long titles that translate to stuff like "My Little Sister Can't Be This Cute!", or (and this is an anime I like) "No Matter How I Look At It, It's You Guys' Fault I'm Unpopular!" That's not a title, that's a phrase. An entire sentence even. All that's saying to me is "Look at me, I've made a unconventional title for my book / anime, aren't I so funny?" (That should seriously be the title for one of these things, because then I'd know they're full of shit.)
I like those titles. What I dislike is when the abridged version of the title becomes the official English name, like with Oreimo or Haganai. It's ridiculous. It's as if Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 would be released in Sweden under the title "That Last Harry Potter Flick."

The Jovian

Dec 21, 2012
Technobabble. And by that I don't mean exposition that uses science jargon.

What I do mean is random pseudo-scientific jargon that doesn't make any sense when put together even if you don't happen to know the definition of the words, disguised as exposition and only exists because the writers are too lazy to establish how their universe works beforehand and/or figure out a plausible way to get the heroes out of their predicament and/or because they want to sound purposefully futuristic and science fiction-y and/or because they think the audience is too stupid to know any better. Usually it's all of the above combined.

Every time I see it I just scream at my laptop/TV screen.

Riot3000

Oct 7, 2013
Antisocial and Asocial there is a pretty big difference and when learn it calling a shy person antisocial just seems off.

The fact that anime is under some sort of microscope and needs more "reality" in it. I mean no one is asking this from western cartoons but apparently all anime needs to become Miyazaki level that is a bit much.

People who talk about anime as if it is a genre and not a medium.

I like anime because its weird, unrealistic, and enjoyable I could care less how a harem is not possible or dissect it as long as it is funny and entertain.

Bashing the stereotypical nerds I mean really sure some are annoying but lets be honest someone will find you to be a jackass basically the paradox of nerd elitism.

Also the whole nonsense with the Avatar the Last Airbender movie and the ethnicity. I mean its one to turn Katara, Sokka and Gram Gram caucasian but the rest of the village is still mystically eskimo. That is half ass white washing hollywood you used to give us birth of a nation and had the gall to turn John Wayne into Genghis Khan you might as well of have turned the whole southern water village into somewhere in Siberia for consistency sake.