PETA: Bloody Mario Was 'Tongue-In-Cheek"

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I thought "tongue in cheek" implied subtlety?

Anyways, the game WAS hilarious - did you see the look on the Tanooki's face? Still was pretty tactless and tasteless.

2012 Wont Happen

Aug 12, 2009
Grey Carter said:
2012 Wont Happen said:
If anybody but PETA had made a game where you follow Mario as a raccoon trying to get your fur back this site would have talked about it as if it was a clever thing and all of the people posting here about how bad PETA is would have laughed their asses off.

I don't support PETA, but I have to side with them more than most of the people I've seen talking about it on this one. It was clever. It was clearly a joke. Anybody who takes this seriously forgets, first of all, that its parodying an 80's video game, and second that PETA's entire organizational history is full of comedic campaigns.
Nicely put, this is exactly the kind of shit I do in Critical Miss and no one bats and eyelid. On the other hand, PETA does have a history of being outraged over silly shit in video games. Not in a funny way, either.
I don't really laugh much at most of PETA's humorous campaigns, but it's pretty easy to distinguish which ones are attempts at humor and which one's aren't.

Sending Obama the no-kill fly trap - humor.
I'd rather go naked ads - humor (and sex appeal)
Painting chalk outlines of cows outside of a McDonald's - not so much humor

In any event, thanks. It's good to see that not everyone here is losing their mind over this.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
Further proof that PETA became a self parody years ago: they try to be funny and NOBODY CAN TELL THEY'RE JOKING.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
HA HA HA OH MY SIDES HURT FROM LAUGHING SO MUCH, GOOD ONE PETA

...seriously, my gripe with this is that it's clearly an attention-seeking exercise. An expensive attention-seeking exercise. Now it's apparently also a tongue-in-cheek, expensive, attention-seeking exercise... Christ. This is where all that donation money goes? Straight to jokey flash games? PETA is not in a position where it deserves to make these kind of jokes.

Dec 16, 2009
praying Nintendo sue

seriously tho, with the amount of info out there about fur, anyone who does wear it aint gonna be swayed by shock Mario tactics

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
Tongue in cheek? Right place, wrong organ - I think they meant "foot in mouth".

Seriously, PETA. Nobody cares but you, and everyone is annoyed by your antics. Put an end to it.

Hero in a half shell

It's not easy being green
Dec 30, 2009
2012 Wont Happen said:
It is true that they overreact, but it is a fact that games make people desensitized to violence. Anybody who denies that denies all scientific research in the area.

It does not mean that one will be violent, but it is desensitizing which does allow a greater possibility of violence. PETA is not a human rights organization, it is an animal rights organization. For that reason, it only takes stances against things that desensitize people to violence against animals. Anything else would be outside its mission statement.
Yeah, but desensitisation doesn't mean anything. The most desensitised people to gore (apart from soldiers obviously) are doctors, as they deal with blood and gore every darn day. It's there job to look at your mangled torso and then get elbow deep right up in there. Are they any more violent than the rest of us? Well I've never heard anyone even think of researching a link between doctors and violence.

All desensitizing means is that when you see something horrible you don't immediately go BLEUGH! And there is still a humungous gap between videogame violence and real life violence, that doesn't really transfer at all. I can cut a mans arm off in a Star Wars game without a moments hesitation, last week I was playing Mortal Combat on the SNES and laughing at the crazy violence with my friends, but in real life I can't look at deep cuts without balking, I still wince at the gross stories of people breaking their arms and stuff.

I believe that playing a videogame only desensitises you to the violence within the game, so that the first time you perform a gory action you may be weirded out, but after the 100th time you just regard it as another move in the game, another impersonal, necessary step to progressing through the game, which is what it is, because these are only pixels, not people.

loudestmute

Oct 21, 2008
This kind of verbal smoke bomb I refer to as the "Bedroom Backtracker", as the formula is most commonly used there.

Example: "Honey, calm down! I was clearly joking when I asked you for a threesome! Stop being so dramatic!"

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
JoJoDeathunter said:
In games like Call of Duty, where characters shoot and kill animals, or in Dog Wars, where players have fun fighting and torturing dogs, it sends a dangerous message that this kind of behavior is acceptable.
Haha yes, just as games where you can kill humans send a message that that is acceptable too right? If I can shoot people in COD, that means it must be okay in real life as well, I can't see any flaws in this logic!
Not only that but technically people are animals too. Shouldn't they be outraged at all violent games then?

Now where is the game where I can go around killing PETA members? I want to see a Call of Duty mod for that.

These guys are so crazy. They're logic is so flawed. I can't help but laugh at them.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
People who are part of silly minorities like PETA or any vegan right movement have no idea how to get their ideas across for some reason. I don't see a problem with veganism, what you eat is your choice, and anything you do in your home is your business.

I have no idea why people from PETA and many other pro-animal, pro-vegan foundations can't seem to positively advertise.

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
That game was actually pretty good. Had they just released the game without the "joke" message it'd be a clever deconstruction of a Mario concept with a fun little game attached. As it is...

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
Replace "tongue" with "head" and "cheek" with "ass". Not perfect, but it gets the point across with minimum effort on my side.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
It was supposed to be a joke? Yeah nice attempt at backpedaling PETA. If only you hadn't cried wolf so many times in the past...

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
Thaius said:
"In games like Call of Duty, where characters shoot and kill animals..."

You mean the attack dogs trained specifically to kill enemy soldiers and that will rip your jugular out of your throat if you don't kill them?

Perspective, people. Perspective.
Don't worry I'm sure PETA will develop an alternative to Call of Duty where instead of killing it you just hug it while it's ripping out your lower intestine. Aw... how cute.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
Phlakes said:
Congratulations internet, they left the bait and you gave them all the attention they could have ever wanted.

You all know the rule.

Don't feed the troll.
Agreed.

I think this was a brilliant move by PETA. It makes their opponents who reacted so violently look completely foolish.

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
dear PETA

make jokes like this when the general pubic can tell its a joke coming from you, over your group of hypocrites over reacting to nothing, again, for the 50th time this month

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
Ha ha ha.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha it looks just like all the rest of your "press releases", PETA. Maybe before you get to grinning too widely you should consider that everything you put out into the world looks like it ought to be nothing more than a bad joke, but most of it you intended for someone to take seriously.

If you consistently pitch wild, should we be impressed when you intentionally walk a batter?