PETA weighs in on Redskins debate

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Silvanus said:
I am not trying to defend PETA. That's simply not what I was doing. My point was that if PETA is truly in Eggsnham's top five worst organisations, then that's not a very rational list at all. That was the point I was making, to which you replied, saying how awful they were, etc etc. If you weren't disagreeing with the point I was making, then you were replying to the wrong person. I don't need to read PETA's rap sheet.
? You quoted me and made the comments I was making that PETA deserves to be demonized.

Since you seemd to disagree with my statement by including potentially larger groups/organisations I was merely clarifying that while PETA is on my list, it isn't a list with some arbitrary numbering system. We don't seem to disagree otherwise.

As for political parties, there are also those who actively murder their constituents.
Worldwide perhaps, but most people don't care about things that aren't directly impacting them. In America we have the luxury of politicians being corrupt in entirely different ways than murder...

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
thaluikhain said:
Ed130 said:
What about the New Zealand All Blacks and All Whites Rugby and Football teams? Will those names need to be changed?
No, there's no reason to change to get rid of a racist caricature due to there not being one. Funny how that works.
The Fighting Irish is a pretty common mascot/team name, and it seems to carry a much stronger racist caricature than a simple cartoon face given the negative racial stereotypes of the Irish being prone to violence and 'leprechaun' often being used as a derogatory insult toward the Irish. No one makes a fuss about that one, and rightfully so, because the names of teams are largely meaningless and foster no malice toward the race, culture, or animal they are based on.

OT: To be honest this really isn't a particularly noteworthy statement by PETA. Largely unoffensive and not even particularly original. I would expect something from PETA to be more like suing teams to pay royalties to the animals the team name/logo/mascot is based on, or something in that line of thought. They tried to sue aquariums for using the dolphins and whales as "slaves" before.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Silvanus said:
Eggsnham said:
That said, PETA still ranks as one of my top 5 most hated organizations.
Whoa, that's pretty impressive. They're beating out a huge number of terrorist organisations, secret-police forces, and despotic parties for that spot!
Yeah, you know, it's not like they support actual terrorist organizations, make serious threats constantly and have such a paper thin reason for doing what they do that you'd have to be mentally ill to support them.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Eggsnham said:
Yeah, you know, it's not like they support actual terrorist organizations, make serious threats constantly and have such a paper thin reason for doing what they do that you'd have to be mentally ill to support them.
I think you may have missed my point entirely.

As I explained earlier, I was not defending them. But 'top five most hated'? That's either just hyperbole, or a very irrational list.

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Silvanus said:
Eggsnham said:
I think you may have missed my point entirely.

As I explained earlier, I was not defending them. But 'top five most hated'? That's either just hyperbole, or a very irrational list.
Ffffffffff... uckin'... smartass.

Fine, it was hyperbole, but don't underestimate just how much I hate PETA.

I hate the shit out of PETA.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
Wow PETA decided to weigh in on something how radical.

It's a cute idea, like the kind you magnet to the fridge.

TekMoney

Jun 30, 2013
The really unfortunate thing is that PETA draws the wrong kind of attention. As evidenced by almost nobody in this thread actually saying anything about the issue. Just tons of people saying PETA is bad. I'm no fan of PETA either. But I'm also not a fan of racist sports team names.