Peter Molyneux does it again: Godus Development "No longer his focus" with features missing.

Qitz

Mar 6, 2011
So, surprise surprise, Peter Molyneux may have over-sold his Kickstarter for the game Godus. To the point where, without even delivering everything promised and reached in said Kickstarter, he's moved focus to another project, The Trial [http://www.funandseriousgamefestival.com/english/news/peter-molyneux-announces-the-trial-at-the-fun-serious-game-festival/].

Designer Konrad Naszynski has stated that a lot of the features, including some of the ones touted like "Multiplayer persistent stuff like hubworld" and is "frustrated with the speed at which he?s able to bring change."

He's even gone so far as to say that if it doesn't benefit the mobile platform, where they receive the most revenue, then they'll be "shot down."

?It?s going to be a juggling act and I?m betting a lot of my pc only proposals are going to be shot down and there will be things I will be told to work on that won?t contribute to improving pc. If that?s the case I?m just going to state that outright when the time comes.?

Things have gotten so hectic at 22cans that even their own email address have been bouncing emails back and their forums have disappeared. Not to mention the poor souls who payed $5000 to get a "free trip to E3."

I was close to supporting this Kickstarter but, it's Peter Molyneux.

Via Rock Paper Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/02/09/oh-godus-what-the-hells-going-on/]

baddude1337

Taffer
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah, it's Peter Molyneux, was ANYONE surprised?The guy has been a total liar and overseller his entire career. Remember that cude bollocks? And the final prize was total shit? (especially now this game has become unupported).

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Who here is shocked... No one? Grass grows, birds fly, and Molyneux doesn't go through with at least half of his promises. I was keeping an eye on the game, but spending twenty bucks on abandonware isn't my thing.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Whoops, kerplunk and where's my thribble - that silly Molyneaux, scallywag that he is, ooo, 'e's only gone an' dunnit again. Lies upon lies upon deceit upon lies.

Seriously, though, I never really had very high hopes for Godus. A shame, but another expected chapter.

Olrod said:
Peter Molyneux is like the Uwe Boll of videogame development.
...Or perhaps George "Hopefully It'll Work" Lucas?

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
So is he just like a conman or something?
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but just in case you aren't, it's less being a con-man and more of repeatedly claiming his games will be super awesome and have a ton of features, only to be released and be somewhat less impressive.

Like if I promised you a wonderful spaghetti dinner, then proceeded to open a can of franco-american, heat it up in the microwave and serve it to you with plastic spoons. Not so much lying but sure as hell not living up to the promises made.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but just in case you aren't, it's less being a con-man and more of repeatedly claiming his games will be super awesome and have a ton of features, only to be released and be somewhat less impressive.

Like if I promised you a wonderful spaghetti dinner, then proceeded to open a can of franco-american, heat it up in the microwave and serve it to you with plastic spoons. Not so much lying but sure as hell not living up to the promises made.
Yeah, but if you start a Kickstarter campaign on making a perfect spaghetti dinner, and then after making your funding goal simply opened up a single can of Chef Boyardee, poured half of it into a bowl, and then said you were bored and walked away, all the while refusing people Kickstarter refunds...what OTHER term do we have but conman?
Liar, maybe. Thief would probably be more accurate, honestly.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Silentpony said:
Dalisclock said:
Silentpony said:

Yeah, but if you start a Kickstarter campaign on making a perfect spaghetti dinner, and then after making your funding goal simply opened up a single can of Chef Boyardee, poured half of it into a bowl, and then said you were bored and walked away, all the while refusing people Kickstarter refunds...what OTHER term do we have but conman?
Well, in that case, especially if you had no intention of completing the project after getting the money, yeah, I'd call you a con-man.

Not to take the onus off him, I'd also question why anyone would donate money in support of any project considering he has a long history of doing shit like this. If a met a man who promised me that he would build the great pyramid out of solid gold if I gave him some money, I wouldn't give him any consider the last 15 buildings he built were half finished or very much not what he promised.

McKitten

Apr 20, 2013
Silentpony said:
Not really. That's the risk you take on Kickstarter. People always forget that supporting a Kickstarter is not the same as placing a pre-order. Supporting a project that fails is a risk you simply have to live with. If you don't want to take that risk, place a normal pre-order or wait until it's done and buy.

meepop

Aug 18, 2009
Sounds like some people got Molyneux'd. Sucks, honestly. I remember Curiosity.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Olrod said:
Nah. Peter could make things seem good, even if they weren't.

Uwe Boll just makes obvious garbage.

McKitten said:
Not really. That's the risk you take on Kickstarter. People always forget that supporting a Kickstarter is not the same as placing a pre-order. Supporting a project that fails is a risk you simply have to live with. If you don't want to take that risk, place a normal pre-order or wait until it's done and buy.
At least the risk is (hopefully) divided between so many participants as to not make the loss that significant.

It freaking sucks if you paid $5000 for it though.

Suppose it sucks for publishers too to lose millions when their products tank.

But at least they once had millions.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Silentpony said:
So is he just like a conman or something?
I'd say more someone with crazy grand visions that he can make sound amazing, but when it comes down to it is never actually capable of delivering.

Trouble is, I think he genuinely thinks he can do what he says, but the practical evidence says otherwise...

Someone with amazing vision, but little sense of practicality...

certainly a 'good' kind of failure at least, if there is such a thing. Not lacking in creativity, but no groundinvgrounding in what you can and cannot actually realistically accomplish.

More interesting than a dull paint by numbers 'play it safe' kind of bland mediocre failure, at least...

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
His problem is that his mind inhabits a plane far beyond ours and what he brings back from there just can't be recreated in our primitive universe.

It's a bit sad really.

Sadder is that people keeps giving him money. Fool me once, shame on you.

Fool me ever since that one single great game you made with everything after it having been barely realized promises, shame on me.

I might be a bit too harsh. He's probably made more than just one good game. But there has been a lot of promises and grand visions that never got anywhere.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Sadly Pete used to be the guy who made games like Dungeon Keeper or Populus or even Black & White... but now is the guy who tanks whatever awesome concepts float through his mind. I think maybe senility is creeping in and Pete is just too proud to admit he's losing his shit.

Mutant1988

Sep 9, 2013
Imperioratorex Caprae said:
Sadly Pete used to be the guy who made games like Dungeon Keeper or Populus or even Black & White... but now is the guy who tanks whatever awesome concepts float through his mind. I think maybe senility is creeping in and Pete is just too proud to admit he's losing his shit.
And those IPs belong to EA if I'm not mistaken (100% on DK, not on Populous and B&W)...

That makes me even more sad.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Mutant1988 said:
And those IPs belong to EA if I'm not mistaken (100% on DK, not on Populous and B&W)...

That makes me even more sad.
I am unsure if MS owns the IP's for B&W since they technically have Lionhead now. But I'd consider that very likely.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Olrod said:
Tunnel Rats and Rampage are good Boll movies. :)

With Molyneux and the fact he has no boss, now he just goes for whatever idea is on his mind without finishing them. He needs to be reigned in. He has a lot of great ideas but he needs some one to keep him focused on the projects big picture. I think he gets side tracked by little things. Its one reason why Fable 3 wasnt that good, he focused his improvements on things that didnt matter and the main gameplay failed because of it.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
I think he needs some one to keep him focused on the projects. When he has no one to control him his creativity is a big disadvantage.