Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
45,698
0
0
Peter Molyneux Leaves Lionhead


Fable creator Peter Molyneux is leaving Lionhead.

There are only a handful of videogame designers in the world who are recognizable names, and of that small list there are few who are better known or inspire more conversation than Peter Molyneux. He founded Bullfrog Productions, which gave the world Populous, Syndicate, Magic Carpet, Dungeon Keeper and more, and then Lionhead Studios, responsible for the long-running Fable [http://www.amazon.com/Black-White-2-Pc/dp/B0007GBBHI/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1331132330&sr=1-1] franchises. And now, 15 years later, he's moving on.

"It is with mixed emotions that I made the decision to leave Microsoft and Lionhead Studios, the company that I co-founded in 1997, at the conclusion of development of Fable: The Journey," Molyneux told Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5890594/peter-molyneux-is-leaving-lionhead-studios-and-microsoft-will-finish-kinect-fable]. "I remain extremely passionate and proud of the people, products and experiences that we created, from Black & White to Fable to our pioneering work with Milo and Kate for the Kinect platform. However, I felt the time was right to pursue a new independent venture. I'd like to thank the team at Lionhead, as well as our partners at Microsoft Studios for their support, dedication and incredible work over the years."

Following the announcement, Microsoft issued a statement indicating that the split was amicable, if not entirely welcome. "As co-founder of Lionhead and an integral part of Microsoft Studios, Peter was the creative visionary behind the blockbuster Fable franchise, and one of our most passionate and influential developers for the Xbox 360 platform," the company said. "He has made an indelible mark on the games industry and we wish him all the best of luck in his future endeavors."

Molyneux will continue to work on the new Fable title, Fable: The Journey, as a creative consultant, but according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/peter-molyneux-quits-lionhead-and-microsoft/092391] his name will now be on a door at 22 Cans, a new venture launched in January by former Lionhead Chief Technical Officer Tim Rance. What the boys plan to get up to hasn't been revealed, but it's a safe bet that videogames will somehow be involved.


Permalink
 
Feb 13, 2008
19,430
0
0
Wow...

Well, if anyone can build a new world, it's Molyneux. Even if it's just castles in the sky, they're going to be beautiful - if slightly...wonky.
 

Robert Ewing

New member
Mar 2, 2011
1,977
0
0
Woah, didn't see this coming.

And just when I was getting interested in his newer ideas that aren't fable. Oh well...
 

CardinalPiggles

New member
Jun 24, 2010
3,226
0
0
Let's hope he's not rusty after spending too long shackled up in MS' dungeon.

Oh and another Dungeon Keeper game would be nice if you please.
 
Mar 30, 2010
3,785
0
0
Cue Dungeon Keeper 3 speculation in 3 ... 2 ...

OT: This is pretty good news. Now that Peter has branched out we will again be treated to his very, erm, 'special' brand of genius.
 

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
237
0
0
Who knows. This might just mean we get a fable game that actually lives up to the developer hype, and might actually maintain decent gameplay rather then throwing the crap out for another decent gimmick

Oh wait, Fable The Journey hasn't been cancelled.
 

mexicola

New member
Feb 10, 2010
924
0
0
Well this was probably the only way he could wrest himself out of Fable muck so I welcome it. Good going Peter. Now make a good game, OK?
 

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
2,093
0
0
One wonders if this is a response to Microsoft demanding multiple Fable spin-off titles, such as Fable The Journey and Fable Heroes. I would like to THINK that was the reason, Molyneux sees himself as a revolutionary after all and I can't see him milking a franchise as much as Lionhead seems to be doing with Fable of late.

Speculation and nothing more. But the idea that he is leaving Lionhead, a company he co-created AND Microsoft as well... just sounds a little curious.
 

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
4,806
0
0
Wow, that's surprising. I get the feeling he got tired of being forced to be the only guy visionary enough to make the Kinect worthwhile (besides Tim Schafer) and therefore being forced to work on nothing but the Kinect.
Looking forward to the next game in the Molyneux genre!
 

Tireseas_v1legacy

Plop plop plop
Sep 28, 2009
2,419
0
0
Andy Chalk said:
Molyneux will continue to work on the new Fable title, Fable: The Journey, as a creative consultant, but according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/peter-molyneux-quits-lionhead-and-microsoft/092391] his name will now be on a door at 22 Cans, a new venture launched in January by former Lionhead Chief Technical Officer Tim Rance. What the boys plan to get up to hasn't been revealed, but it's a safe bet that videogames will somehow be involved.
That strikes me as a way of saying "yeah, I'm going to try and make a harem of female gamers."
 

repeating integers

New member
Mar 17, 2010
3,315
0
0
The Gentleman said:
Andy Chalk said:
Molyneux will continue to work on the new Fable title, Fable: The Journey, as a creative consultant, but according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/peter-molyneux-quits-lionhead-and-microsoft/092391] his name will now be on a door at 22 Cans, a new venture launched in January by former Lionhead Chief Technical Officer Tim Rance. What the boys plan to get up to hasn't been revealed, but it's a safe bet that videogames will somehow be involved.
That strikes me as a way of saying "yeah, I'm going to try and make a harem of female gamers."
...Clearly. I mean, who could not take that from this article?
 

redisforever

New member
Oct 5, 2009
2,158
0
0
As I enjoyed most of his games, (haven't played them all, but the ones I did, I likes), I wish him the best of luck, and I'm, looking forward to see what he'll make without Microsoft looking over his shoulder the whole time. Now, my question is, does this mean he'll go multi-platform? Will there be PS3 games from him? I hope so, as I don't own a 360...
 
Jun 11, 2008
5,331
0
0
So can we start filming what happens in his new work and call it The Office: Peter Molyneux as that what I always imagined it would be like with all his grand ideas that never quite work out.
 

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
3,452
0
0
OhJohnNo said:
The Gentleman said:
Andy Chalk said:
Molyneux will continue to work on the new Fable title, Fable: The Journey, as a creative consultant, but according to MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/peter-molyneux-quits-lionhead-and-microsoft/092391] his name will now be on a door at 22 Cans, a new venture launched in January by former Lionhead Chief Technical Officer Tim Rance. What the boys plan to get up to hasn't been revealed, but it's a safe bet that videogames will somehow be involved.
That strikes me as a way of saying "yeah, I'm going to try and make a harem of female gamers."
...Clearly. I mean, who could not take that from this article?
wow, in one bold move you two have just predicted the future of gaming, tip of the hat to you, tip of the hat!

OT, bye Peter, next time you come up with a genius idea, try and keep it going for more than one game, instead of the watered down sequels that we've had to endure from Lionhead.
 

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
1,678
0
0
Seems like just yesterday that Peter was ranting about how ace it was to be with Microsoft and he had huge visions for their future.

Ah well, I look forward to seeing the differences between what he says and what he does at 22 Cans. I also look forward to seeing how Lionhead perform going forward.
 

Qitz

New member
Mar 6, 2011
1,276
0
0
Surely Peter Molyneux' resignation will revolutionize the way people resign for ever. Using brand new technology to push the envelope of resignations to the furthest it's ever been, the way only Peter can.
 

Li Mu

New member
Oct 17, 2011
552
0
0
You guys are thinking too small with your Black and White 3 and Dungeon Keeper 3.

What we want is- The Black & White Dungeon Keeper Populous 8
That would be awesome!
 

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Apr 8, 2020
5,498
1
3
Country
United States
Sure didn't see that coming.

....So Black & White 3, yes?

Also, a lot of big names leaving companies as of late, rather weird.