Peter Molyneux's Curiosity Finally Chipped Away

natster43

Jul 10, 2009
That is a pretty dope reward for clicking on a box for a few months. Even if Godus does bad it will be interesting to see how a random person effects the game.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think if I was one of the people who backed Godus on Kickstarter- particularly if I had contributed on one of the upper tiers- I would be more than a little irked at this development.

Malfy

Jul 16, 2010
That's pretty awesome of Molyneaux. More stunts like this, and people might come out in droves to play his other creations for the hope of cool rewards like this. Wonder how much that cut will actually be.

I can imagine someone playing through that shitty Colonial Marines game with 100% completion, then having Randy Pitchford come on screen with a pre-recorded message saying "Dude, even I couldn't tolerate this crap. Here's a cut from every copy sold of Borderlands 2"

ThriKreen

May 26, 2006
https://twitter.com/danthat/status/279700173947539456

And

"People are going to hate me for this," Henderson told Wired in a phone interview, "but I only registered for the game earlier this morning, about an hour before I won the thing."

Oh snap.

bafrali

Mar 6, 2012
ThriKreen said:

And

"People are going to hate me for this," Henderson told Wired in a phone interview, "but I only registered for the game earlier this morning, about an hour before I won the thing."

Oh snap.
Looks like my wishes are coming true.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So it turns out god is Scottish, I guess that explains the violence.

I don't really see this as life changing though. Sure it's pretty cool being able to decide the rules of the game, getting some cash out of it and being worshipped by digital religionists. But it's not really life changing unless a cult springs up and sacrifices this guy to unleash his divine spirit in to the cosmos.

And I was sure there would be a dead cat in there :/

DjinnFor

Nov 20, 2009
PoolCleaningRobot said:
SuperSuperSuperGuy said:
This is either really good or really bad, depending on how good Godus is.

It could also be really bad if this Henderson guy turns out to be an uninteresting guy. Ah, well. Only time will tell.
The dude spent countless hours chipping away at a cube. It does seem likely
Pretty sure the reward was for whoever chipped away the last cube, not whoever chipped away the most. While it's unlikely that he could have shown up at the last few layers, chipped away a couple cubes, and won it just like that, I imagine it's a possibility.

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
bafrali said:
ThriKreen said:

And

Oh snap.
Looks like my wishes are coming true.
All the happiness is now being felt. Seriously.

I had no interest in the curiosity thing. Well, I wanted to know what was in the cube, but I sorta forgot about it. If I wanted to chip away endlessly at a probably fruitless task, I would keep working for my Sociology degree.

dumbseizure

Mar 15, 2009
Notsomuch said:
Wait... Isn't this like the plot to Willy Wonka and the chocolate factory, sort of?
Well it could be depending on what happens further down the road.

Peter Molyneuxs you cheeky Wonka bastard.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Jandau said:
People, you all seem to be missing the key part of the reward...

...will give Henderson cash, as he'll be getting a cut of every Godus sale.
That's what I was thinking, he'll be getting paid for doing next to nothing, just gaming really. Not to mention if he does like the job it's a great first step into the industry in that sort of role, so life changing is an appropriate description. I hope he takes advantage of the opportunity he has.

Hawk eye1466

May 31, 2010
Honestly as someone who's mildly interested in godus when it finally appears for computers this is a pretty cool prize, it'll be interesting to see how he uses this power and yeah it was also smart because now the game will get some free press and generate some interest so not too bad.

cwmdulais

Jan 18, 2010
I love how so many people are getting so jelly about someone elses fortune.

All hail our mighty lord and savior bryan

BRING ON THE WHINE TRAIN!

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
amaranth_dru said:
Inevitably people are already downing on this. I personally think this is a definitive experiment, truly letting someone other than the developers shape the way a game is played. Good or bad, the end result can give us an idea of just how we as gamers could affect the games we play if we were given this form of control. And the other half of the reward is actually profiting off of how successful the game is due to the "winner".
Whether the outcome is positive or negative it has potential.
I agree.
People are being far too hard on this.
Then again, what can you expect from the chorus of cynical internet nerds.

Rather interesting in how the experiment will continue in a way.
Will the winner be swayed by the profit incentive to behave, and do things that benefit the game as a whole?
Or will absolute power corrupt absolutely once again, proving that even greed cannot overcome the compulsive desire to wield strength over others?

Really, this is pretty darn cool. Bravo Peter.
(Now make another Fable....)

Xman490

Doctorate in Danger
May 29, 2010
I believe Molyneux, but he sounds disingenuous as heck. Maybe it's his pretentious manner. Maybe it's his central involvement in mediocre products. And maybe it's his unique accent.

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Did the winner use any of the micro-transactions in curiosity?
Wasn't there one that was thousands of dollars that let you knock off many cubes at once?

Bad Jim

Nov 1, 2010
Callate said:
I think if I was one of the people who backed Godus on Kickstarter- particularly if I had contributed on one of the upper tiers- I would be more than a little irked at this development.
I backed it. On sober reflection I'm glad that a fair bit of creative control is being taken away from Peter Molyneux.

Guitarmasterx7

Day Pig
Mar 16, 2009
gotta say, this is actually interesting and pretty smart. Then again if molyneax was just like "ITS NOTHING! AND THAT TEACHES YOU SOMETHING VERY VALUABLE ABOUT LIFE" I'm pretty sure some kind of PR shitstorm would ensue.

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
You can always count on a select few people hating anything and everything Molyneux does, seen a couple here in this thread.

Seems like a cool reward, I'd have loved to have won but didn't realise it was so close to finishing.