Peter Moore Says Very Bad Words

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Peter Moore Says Very Bad Words

Sonic the Hedgehog [http://www.easports.com] creator Yuji Naka is so rude I'm not even allowed to repeat it here.

In a recent interview with U.K. men's magazine PlayStation 2 [http://www.esquire.com/]. One of the questions the group was asked was, "If these brands were people, who would they be?" and Sega, as it turns out, was the "granddad with dementia who used to be cool but you couldn't remember why."

A harsh assessment in any light, yes, but when Moore got to Tokyo to present Japanese-dubbed tapes of his findings to Sega executives, Naka accused him of tampering with the dialog, which apparently lit Moore's fuse. "I lost it," he said. "I turned to the interpreter and said, 'Tell him, 'F*** you'.'" The interpreter refused, but Moore is confident Naka got the point. "Naka had lived in the U.S. for three years, so I knew he understood," Moore added. "I walked out and never returned."

There's no doubt that Peter Moore can shovel the shit a mile a minute and sometimes he grates on people because of it, but how can you not love this? Say what you will about the man - he's got personality.

Melaisis

Dec 9, 2007
This man is epic. There's a reason why he's the boss of the biggest franchise that EA owns, and I guess this is it.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
He definantly said more then just "Fuck you" if it's not allowed to be repeated. Anyway, interesting read, not something I'd expect.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
We need more executives willing to do the whole "truth to power" thing. I wonder how many train-wrecks have happened because groupthink didn't get the word to the guys in the corner offices that Project Train-Wreck is having serious issues that need to be handled *now* before it goes really off the rails.

That said, I suppose there'd still be corner-office guys unwilling to listen... but at least someone would've *tried* to do something.

-- Steve

Unholykrumpet

Nov 1, 2007
The man's got guts. If some bloke called me out on tampering or doing something unethical, I'd probably say something similar though. I have no sympathy for Naka.

Simski

Aug 17, 2008
Malygris post=7.70690.699495 said:
One of the questions the group was asked was, "If these brands were people, who would they be?" and Sega, as it turns out, was the "granddad with dementia who used to be cool but you couldn't remember why."
Haha, I lol'd badly at that.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Peter Moore seems to actually be a pretty cool guy. He knows what he's talking about, has a passion for games, and has proven his worth in several high positions. Meh, Naka deserves it.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
stompy post=7.70690.700486 said:
Peter Moore seems to actually be a pretty cool guy. He knows what he's talking about, has a passion for games, and has proven his worth in several high positions. Meh, Naka deserves it.
Seriously, Sega does need a good talking to once in a while.

Also, I think that the censored part of the text was actually this: "-ine sir, I think it is time for me to leave the establishment. I truly enjoyed our friendly talks. I wish a good day to your staff and-"

Beowulf DW

Jul 12, 2008
God I love it when Big Shots get beaten down like that.

Well said, Mr. Moore, well said.

Kahuna-Kurt

Aug 28, 2008
Mr. Moore is the reason I buy EA games. Seriously, he is probably the most realistic person(with that much power)just for being politically incorrect.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Nicely said Mr. Moore and somehow I'm sure it was something a bit more strong then a simple "Fuck you" to Naka.