Petition Circulating to Name Legend of Zelda NPC After Robin Williams

V4Viewtiful

Feb 12, 2014
If it succeeds, he could be a traveling comedian and make jokes on every game in the franchise.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I get a feeling that some people believe Princess Zelda got the name after his daughter Zelda and not after the american's writer's wife. And his daughter got named after Princess Zelda.

I wouldn't have anything against a character being named after him and I think it would be a nice thing from Nintendo's side. He even named his daughter after the game's princess, just shows how much he liked the game. He did several commercials for the Zelda series together with his daughter. Naming a character after him and just adding hints at him would be a rather nice tribute.
But I just can't get ride of the feeling that some people are mixing up who came first.

Also I don't think I can stand all the "who should get his own character in game X" threads which will come in millions if this one is successful.

DaWaffledude

Apr 23, 2011
mad825 said:
Neronium said:
I remember seeing Addion saying to make him the next iteration of the King of Hyrule, and I say go for that. Hell, add it in as a DLC character for Hyrule Warriors and I'll buy that day one.
Yep, profiteering from dead people is a very moral thing to do...Nope, sorry, it's immoral.

These petitions are stupid and just another example why us internet users think we're entitled to higher privileges than the game creators themselves. Also why we think money will get us what we want.

No respect whatsoever to anyone.
... What? There's no money involved. Just a request for a small tribute to a man who meant a lot to a lot of people. No one's profiteering from anything.

CelestDaer

Mar 25, 2013
I personally think the gaming community needs to stop with the petitions to put tributes for Robin Williams into this or that game after this one. WoW and Legend of Zelda were the two most important games for him? Okay, any other games, and it's less 'tribute' and more 'I can't possibly let go of the past'.

And Man

May 12, 2014
Considering that Nintendo is a Japanese company, I really can't see this happening at all

Dagda Mor

Jun 23, 2011
And Man said:
Considering that Nintendo is a Japanese company, I really can't see this happening at all
That's why they're petitioning Nintendo of America. Even if he's not in the original version, he can be in the translation.

Hectix777

Feb 26, 2011
SlightlyEvil said:
Hectix777 said:
or WORSE; they turn him into Tingle! Believe it or not I think Robin Williams is the only thing that would have made Tingle bearable.
This makes FAR too much sense. I can practically hear his full-manic standup style doing Tingle's dialogue.
Not gonna lie, I heard his voice for a minute when I thought about that...

Now I'm sad... I'm gonna go watch the entire Aladdin franchise now, movies, the tv show, the works.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
And Man said:
That was my thought as well. I don't know which American Hollywood actors Japan will have any sort of appreciation for, but I sense that Robin would be low on the list.

As you were replied to before, NOA could make this happen with a slight translation adjustment. That's not asking too much.

Haru17

Mar 1, 2014
Could you imagine if not just an NPC, but Zelda Wii U itself was named The Legend of Zelda: Robin Williams. That might be a bit of overkill for a memorial, but it'd be funny and that seems appropriate.

Ticklefist

Jul 19, 2010
World of Warcraft will do what Nintendon't. Nintendo will be too concerned about associating their beloved, wholesome (gag) characters with a suicide victim.

Notshauna

May 12, 2014
Absolutely not, it's frankly foolish to include tribute NPCs for anything other than developers who worked on the product. And while I get Robin Williams was an important person to a lot of people that doesn't mean we should tack on tributes to him in every game despite the developers not caring to. If they want to make a tribute for him because he mattered to them good for them, but asking for it is very insulting.

BlumiereBleck

Dec 11, 2008
Notshauna said:
Absolutely not, it's frankly foolish to include tribute NPCs for anything other than developers who worked on the product. And while I get Robin Williams was an important person to a lot of people that doesn't mean we should tack on tributes to him in every game despite the developers not caring to. If they want to make a tribute for him because he mattered to them good for them, but asking for it is very insulting.
I agree, friend.

Also, it seems kind of tacky to be doing this.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
While I didn't get with the WOW tribute (no offence) but this I can get behind but in saying so was Robin greatly respected in Japan?

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
It's refreshing to see there are only two or three utter misery-guts so far, in this thread, who have tried to twist a nice, harmless gesture, into gamer entitlement and all the other buzzwords you use on the internet to sound like you have a clue.

Good going, the rest of you, it's nice to be nice.

OT: I think this'd be a lovely tribute, given his links (HA! nailed it) to the Zelda franchise, even if it was just a localisation thing Nintendo of America did rather than giving him an official character.

It's not like it's entirely uncommon for people who have passed away and were big fans of a series, or otherwise involved, to get somehow immortalised in the games, even if they weren't massive stars, I'm sure I've heard of it being done.